Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: What is your opinion on sellers charging over and above the shipping cost?

It's as whatupyos wrote, though...if you don't like their rules, don't play their game.[/quote]

Very true, if you dont want to spend $30 for shipping on a bat, dont bid on the bat.

Quote Originally Posted by whatupyos View Post
    Thats a good question. I have to resort to the fact that the seller has the right to charge what they want. It's their item. I understand someone could charge an astronomical rate i.e. $50 for a picture but if you don't like the postage price, don't bid/buy. Simple as that.
    Although I do agree with you, just because some states $15 postage in their auction, doesn't make it right. As far as a seller has the right to charge what they want, I disagree. You should charge what is reasonable. Some go way overboard.

It is a fine line for both a buyer and a seller and it gets really messy with larger items (framed, etc) as it gets expensive fast for the seller especially buying boxes and with "oversized" items such as framed jerseys.

As a buyer, I have no problem with some reasonable shipping, even if it is a little more than I would charge. However, it drives me crazy when people put huge numbers on shipping ($10 for a cheap 8x10 uninsured) or $30 to ship a jersey (that costs $100). While the shipping charge is there on the auction, it seems dishonest to obviously gouge people on the shipping and gives the impression that the seller is trying to slip something past his buyers and betting that not every buyer will check the shipping cost.

For me it makes me take a second look at the item, if the seller is going to lie about the shipping I tend to question the item a little more.

when i ship a bat i usually carge $10 i go to ups store buy a shipping tube go to the postoffice ship it cheapest way possible sometimes i lose money shipping sometimes i make some but $10 i think is fair for shipping a bat.

If you go to www.usps.com and open up a free account, you can get free boxes to ship your bats in, with free shipping as well. I go ahead and get them, as well as other boxes they give for free, for storage. Hey, its free, why not!?!

Quote Originally Posted by orioles03 View Post
    when i ship a bat i usually carge $10 i go to ups store buy a shipping tube go to the postoffice ship it cheapest way possible sometimes i lose money shipping sometimes i make some but $10 i think is fair for shipping a bat.

If I charge for postage, say $8.00, and the item ended up actually costing me $6.00. I send the $2 back to the seller.

Goes a long way with buyers. It's the right thing to do.

I use to have a problem with sellers charging so much, because they want to include time, packaging, gas, etc., however, I feel they do have the right to do that if they desire, even though I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by suave1477 View Post
    Well it makes perfect sense but it depends on how the item was shipped.

If the item was shipped in a buble envelope - depending where you buy the bubble envelope from and if you buy just an individual on it can cost $1.00
    If the card came in a Hard plastic Card holder
    .25 cents
    Postage I think is around
    .60 to . 70 cents
    If they add confirmation
    .60 cents

Add all these up
    $1.00

total $2.45 - thats not that bad
    Great example. I agree!

Whenever I sell an item, bat or whatever, I try to make shipping cost as close to actual as I can. However, I have shipped bats in the same style box and everything and it has been as cheap as $6 and as high as $14. For one bat in the same style box via Priority Mail at the same post office. I usually try to price my shipping on bats at $12. I dont try to make on it, but I dont want it to cost me either.

If you want to talk about something rediculous, lets talk paypal fees. WOW

Thanks
    jason
    stlbats@bellsouth.net

Not to stray for too long from the subject of game-used, but since cards and their shipping costs have come up frequently in this thread...

As a recent convert to Sportlots.com, I am amazed at the deals on shipping that I am getting there, compared with what I've been paying on eBay for so many years. Each seller on Sportlots sets his or her own shipping prices, but those prices - particularly when muliple cards are involved in the order - are, for the most part, just ridiculously low.

As an example, I recently bought 174 cards from one seller, and they arrived, each in a penny sleeve, packaged securely in a brand new card storage box, inside a slightly larger box, with padding to protect the inner box, for which I paid $5.50 for shipping.

Godwulf, I agree. I have not bought any cards on eBay since I discovered Sportslot.com awhile back. Their selection and shipping make it hard to beat.

On the subject of seller over charging for shipping, I had one eBay seller tell me they factored in PayPal fees into their shipping rates. Don't agree with this at all but unfortunately I had to pay to play.