Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: What is your opinion on sellers charging over and above the shipping cost?

As long as its stated clearly in the auction description, I have no problem with the fees charged by sellers. I tend to charge slightly more than the actual "shipping" fee to make up for time/materials/fees/etc... During the paypal checkout, it states under the shipping fees "includes any handling fees"
    Kelly
    kelspeck@gmail.com

What is this Sportslots.com you speak of? I am starting to search it now for the first time.
    Looking for: Joey Votto game used items.

Well with ebay and there crazy charges and the fact that items really dont get what you would expect them to sell for i do see why people charge what they do with shipping.

But as a buyer if you wanted to be a punk with the feedback system the way it is you could hold it over there head and threaten neg feedback after you win the item haha. There are these neon signs on ebay that tend to sell for .99 cents obviously not a 99 cent item but they charge 30 for shipping. Thats obviously how they are making there money and screwing over ebay. Is it wrong? I dunno its all about playing the game!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 3arod13 View Post
    Although I do agree with you, just because some states $15 postage in their auction, doesn't make it right. As far as a seller has the right to charge what they want, I disagree. You should charge what is reasonable. Some go way overboard.

I hear your point. But when you say it doesnt make it right, who's to say what right is? Its up for interpretation. I know some do go overboard, but its their right. Like someone stated, they might be trying to make up for ebay fees or other charges. I know you disagree with regard to the seller has the right to charge what they want, but they do. There is no law I'm aware of on ebay that says you should charge what you say is fair. Again, if you don't like it, dont buy it. If I don't like my service at a restaurant, I'm not going to go there again. They have the right to treat me how they want, I have the right not to eat their food. Its America, and we have rights. In theroy you should charge what is fair, I totally agree, but people don't. I have bought cards for cheap and paid twice as much for shipping in a plain white envelope, but I'm cool with that. If I want the card or item bad enough, I'll buy it.

Same with people selling game used on here. I might disagree with an items value, but if I want it bad enough, I'll buy it.

I read everything carefully, don't care how it adds up as long it meets what I am willing to pay.......

Heres a perfect example of too much shipping!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Baseball-1955-Re...QQcmdZViewItem

Duly note that I am both a buyer and a seller, so I know both sides of the coin. I have been overcharged for flimsy packaging, and I know the time it takes to package and ship and the rate of gas (My saying is the day a USPS Priority Mail box costs the seller only $3.80 is the day the USPS invents a box that packages itself and walks to the PO).

My problem with buyers who complain about being overcharged-- and these posts come of regularly-- is that as a seller I about never had a buyer offer to pay me back, or even bring up the issue, when I've undercharged. In the last three years, there has been one eBay bidder who has offered to pay for an undercharge in shipping-- and he was an Englishman bidding from London! For most bidders, a discrepancy between charge and cost only matters when they are the ones out the difference.

I think the shipping should be stated and that it should be packaged reasonably.

I recently won an eBay jersey auction where the shipping was listed as $15. I emailed the seller with an estimate of the actual shipping (in a BOX) from her (FL) to me (VA) including tracking and insurance (just over $10) and offered $12 for shipping, which she accepted.
    She then proceeds to throw the jersey into a Tyvek bag and send it to me without tracking or insurance, and pocket the $6 difference between the estimated and actual shipping.
    I was sorely tempted to be a Schrutebag and tell her it didn't arrive...

Quote Originally Posted by BergerKing22784 View Post
    Well with ebay and there crazy charges and the fact that items really dont get what you would expect them to sell for i do see why people charge what they do with shipping.
    Just as whether or not to buy on eBay is a choice, so is selling. Without trying to make excuses for eBay's "crazy charges", they are providing to you, for that money, access to what is probably the biggest customer base in the universe. The guy who runs your local monthly sports card show (assuming there is one) might only charge you 35 bucks a day to rent a table in the food court of the mall or the church multi-purpose room...but he's not going to be able to do much to hook you up with potential buyers throughout the known world, is he?

As for items not selling for "what you would expect them to", on those rare occasions when I'm actually able to force myself to part with something and sell it, I make it a point (and this seems like such a simple idea, really) to start the bidding at the lowest amount for which I'd be willing to sell the item. Period.

Several years ago, I was the only bidder on a bobblehead, which I got for $4.99. Listed shipping charges were something like $9. The seller owned a large sports card and memorabilia store in a nearby town, maybe 20 or so miles away, and I'd picked up other, pricier things from him before, without a problem...so I emailed him that I would be picking it up on Saturday.

When I went to get the item, he told me that I owed him $10...that he was giving me a "break" by only charging me that amount. His exact words were, "You didn't really expect to come in here and get this bobblehead for five dollars, did you?" I asked him why, if he was unwilling to sell it for that amount, he'd started the bidding at five dollars, and he said, "Oh come on, you know how it works!" This guy tried every passive-aggressive trick in the book, ranging from refusing to sell it to me at all to giving it to me for nothing (I should have gone with that one, in retrospect), and I finally got it for $5 + local sales tax.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ndevlin View Post
    This just happened to me a few weeks ago when I purchased a bat from a lady. She didnt state in the auction how much shipping was, so that means to me it is actual shipping cost($8-$11). I even told her how much it should be. Well, that didnt matter, she charged me $17.95 to ship the bat. I was a bit mad but curious to see what the postage was on the box when I received it. Sure enough, it was $9.30 to ship it to me. So you better believe I emailed her and told her what I thought! She told me it was $9.30 to ship and the rest of it for handling!!! To make a long story short, I told her it doesnt cost that much etc etc and she gave me a $4.00 refund. Though it doesnt sound much, I was annoyed but satisfied that I got anything back.

This is one thing I just cannot stand!---Someone charging more for shipping that what he really costs to ship!
    Your story is fine, but what I do not understand is when people complain in this discussion about pre-set shipping. I charge $15.00 to ship baseball bats, which I put in a Priority Mail box and insure. I use PayPal USPS shipping, so Delivery Confirmation is included. I figured $15.00 as I found that to ship a bat across the street is reasonable, say $7.00 - $8.00 with insurance, but to ship across the country runs $15.00 - $17.00. The shipping price is firm, I do not negotiate shipping and handling fees.

For instance, when I sell 8x10s (I had about 60 or more end yesterday) I charge $5.00 for the first and $1.00 for each extra with no limit. My starting bid is .99-cents. Sometimes a person complains when they buy 10 photos for .99-cents each plus $1.00 each extra. I make it very clear in my description this combined shipping is set before they bid. The $1.00 extra fee covers any shipping, handling and other fees we may incur so we do not scan, list and ship and item for a total loss.

If you do not like people making money on shipping, don't forget they often are covering fees for boxes, shipping supplies, eBay and PayPal fees, etc. If they are reasonable fees, a small profit is normal and accepted from the eBay community.

Quote Originally Posted by ndevlin View Post
    Heres a perfect example of too much shipping!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Baseball-1955-Re...QQcmdZViewItem
    Seller is a new seller to eBay, and they are offering $65.00 for overnight shipping which for all shipping companies offers $100.00 insurance built in. I believe to ship a baseball (1 or two pounds if you have a case with it or not) overnight will run between $16.00 and $25.00 or so based on what company you use and where you ship.

So, yes, this is excessive shipping which may be interpreted as circumventing eBay fees and it should be reported to eBay. The problem is eBay often doesn't do anything, but they have a place where you can report excessive shipping charges.

Quote Originally Posted by godwulf View Post
    Several years ago, I was the only bidder on a bobblehead, which I got for $4.99. Listed shipping charges were something like $9. The seller owned a large sports card and memorabilia store in a nearby town, maybe 20 or so miles away, and I'd picked up other, pricier things from him before, without a problem...so I emailed him that I would be picking it up on Saturday.

When I went to get the item, he told me that I owed him $10...that he was giving me a "break" by only charging me that amount. His exact words were, "You didn't really expect to come in here and get this bobblehead for five dollars, did you?" I asked him why, if he was unwilling to sell it for that amount, he'd started the bidding at five dollars, and he said, "Oh come on, you know how it works!" This guy tried every passive-aggressive trick in the book, ranging from refusing to sell it to me at all to giving it to me for nothing (I should have gone with that one, in retrospect), and I finally got it for $5 + local sales tax.
    Funny story. I do not have a retail shop anymore (I am looking for new locations) but I have always had a policy, no matter what the situation, anyone can pick up an item at my store for their high bid price, no questions. Why insult a customer who may buy something else.

Now, the seller does have a right to tell you "No local pickup" and then you are responsible for their terms.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Now, to make other points clear. As a buyer and seller on eBay, I look at what the set shipping and handling price is before I determine my high bid price. I recently found out that eBay policy doesn't require a seller to combine shipping, so look at the description for this or ask first before expecting combined shipping.

Reasonable shipping, for say one card is $3.00. This is what I charge, unless I am including insurance then I charge $5.00. Generally it is 50-cents or $1.00 extra per card ordered. I use a bubble envelope (say 25-cents) and to ship a 3 ounce package with PayPal required delivery confirmation runs about $1.65 or so via PayPal USPS shipping.

I just do not understand, if a seller sets REASONABLE shipping and handling fees, say $3.00 for a baseball card or $15.00 for a baseball bat - When you bid, bid accordingly.

Now, when a seller sets $10.00 shipping for a $12.00 card, as I saw a seller do on free listing day, this is an abuse of avoiding eBay fees. They still have to pay the PayPal fees for the final value price only, but eBay doesn't take a percentage of shipping and handling fees.

I receive a lot of complaints about high shipping for international orders. Generally, I ship everything to foregin countries via US Prioirty Mail International, which includes built-in tracking and insurance. PayPal requires tracking for all orders, so I use this service (sometimes I will ship a card first class mail if it is a low dollar item, but I am then taking a risk if the buyer disputes the charge). They don't like the price, but I make it clear, ask first and bid accordingly if you do not like the pre-set shipping price. If you think an item is worth $200.00 and shipping is $25.00, bid $175.00!

In closing, ask questions prior to bidding and check out their policies if they are not stated in the listing. Sellers who drop stuff off at the post office and do not use tracking will learn the hard way, even if they require extra for insurance, they are responsible to be sure the package is delivered - As PayPal protects buyers to be sure tracking numbers are used or the seller will lose as they have no recourse.

Funny how many sellers have emailed me in the past when I ask where my item is that they didn't track it because I didn't buy the extra insurance. In the rare case the item never showed up, they found out the hard way that they are still responsible to use tracking or insurance or not, they are liable.