What is your opinion on sellers charging over and above the shipping cost?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trsent
    Banned
    • Nov 2005

Re: What is your opinion on sellers charging over and above the shipping cost?

Originally posted by orioles03
    i bought a card on ebay it cost .99 and i paid $3.00 for shipping does not make sense
    Oops, I forgot to comment on this one.

When you bid .99-cents, you knew shipping was $3.00 so you basically accepted that you were buying a $4.00 card. If you only felt the card was worth $1.00, then you should have not bid, right?

I have a friend who used to charge $1.00 to ship a card, and then with new fees he raised it to $2.00. He doesn't use tracking for lower priced orders, but he found $1.00 for a .99-cents card he was losing money on the whole transaction.

Comment

• mr.miracle
      • Apr 2006

If I am shipping a pair of game worn cleats, the box for shipping is going to run me approximatley $4.00 - $5.00. I need packing tape, and perhaps bubble wrap as well which all told will run another $5.00 probably for supplies. Depending on where I am shipping that runs anywhere from $5.00 to $10.00. I agree that flats and items like that should not cost $15.00 however it appears that not everyone is taking into account all the cost of supplies to actually shp the item.
      Brett Herman

brettherman2131@hotmail.com

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.

Comment

• Dewey2007
        • Dec 2007

I have made a conscious effort to save boxes still in good condition and bubble wrap and other shipping related items that have come with stuff that I have purchased. That way I don't have to waste my time running to the store to buy shipping related items. When I'm selling an item I just reuse the boxes or bat tubes and bubble wrap, etc. I don't sell a ton of stuff but this is one way to keep shipping costs reasonable and recycle at the same time.
        sigpicwww.alamedasportsproject.com

Comment

• BULBUS
          • Nov 2005

With the deals that can be found on Ebay, I can't believe people complain about shipping charges?? If its not a deal after the stated shipping charge, then dont bid. Also, shipping is expensive, especially across country, no matter what method you use. Its a lot easier to have a flat shipping rate instead of a chart that confuses people. And, if you dont like the US post office, then you have to buy a box, tape and packaging material. Plus the time it takes to package up something and go mail it adds up.

Recently, I bought a printer on Ebay for 29.99 and free shipping. I paid via Paypal and when the package came, shipping was $23 After Paypal and Ebay fees, what could this person have made on the printer, 2-3 bucks? I felt bad. I'm sure theyre not going to be offering free shipping anymore
          Chris

NY Giants, NY Yankees, Don Mattingly, Mattingly brand bats (any player)
          sigpic
          donnie23fan at yahoo.com

Comment

• David
            • Sep 2024

A practical problem for me as a seller is I often sell things that require custom packaging to to irregular size. I literally don't know the shipping cost until the person at the PO desk tells me what is the charge.

A guy from Germany asked what is the shipping cost of an item to Munich. I honestly said, "I have no idea."

Comment

• ndevlin
              • Mar 2008

Though all of you comments are fine, I dont see why a seller would want more for shipping than what it actually costs to ship! You can get free boxes at usps, with free shipping, and just about everyone I know gets the newspaper or have some sort of paper lying around. The handling for that is completely free. So overpaying due to shipping charges I feel is a bit silly. Or just a lack of what free supplies are available, which is not the buyers fault. Do your homework sellers!

Comment

• David
                • Sep 2024

As a veteran eBay seller, if you deliver the item them expect, package the item appropriately and don't have obviously outrageous overcharges, the vast majority of buyers won't complain if the charge versus package price is off a bit. Most buyers do understanding that packaging/shipping takes some time and materials, so a $4 charge on $3 shipping is no big deal.

For most buyers, shipping complaints happen when they complaints are legitimate. Ala terrible packaging or $9 charge for 37 stamp envelope. If a buyer complains for a $1 charge on 95 cent cost, then they're being cheap and, as I mentioned in an earlier posts, I would say I sure hope they are also reimbursing the seller when they're undercharged for shipping (Of course they aren't, because being cheap usually means being selfish).

Comment

• mr.miracle
                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by ndevlin
                  Though all of you comments are fine, I dont see why a seller would want more for shipping than what it actually costs to ship! You can get free boxes at usps, with free shipping, and just about everyone I know gets the newspaper or have some sort of paper lying around. The handling for that is completely free. So overpaying due to shipping charges I feel is a bit silly. Or just a lack of what free supplies are available, which is not the buyers fault. Do your homework sellers!

Unfortunately, I don't get the newspaper and if and when I am shipping items that cost $3000.00 or more, I feel that the over packaged protection that I tend to use such as heavy bubble wrap, etc. is warrented but then again, I have never ever had anyone complain about shipping charges. I think it all depends what you are shipping and this tends to be on a case by case basis. Where can you get free shipping???
                  Brett Herman

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.

Comment

• David
                    • Sep 2024

ndevlin sounds like the comments from someone who doesn't sell. Of course buyers think sellers time and effort is worth nothing. However, when the buyers become sellers, their tune inevitably changes.

I've yet to find someone who will package in my basement two hours a day for free, so I know the going market for handling packages isn't free. My sister once helped me with packaging twice a week, and I paid her by the hour. In other words, whether or not the cost should be passed onto the customer is a legitimate question, but there's no question that there is a cost to packaging and handling. When I'm not packaging, I could be doing something else work-wise (something I'll have to do later). To do that something else work-wise I'll have to pay someone to package. There's no way around that there's a cost to me to package.

Comment

• ndevlin
                      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by David
                      ndevlin sounds like the comments from someone who doesn't sell. Of course buyers think sellers time and effort is worth nothing. However, when the buyers become sellers, their tune inevitably changes.

I've yet to find someone who will package in my basement two hours a day for free, so I know the going market for handling packages isn't free. My sister once helped me with packaging twice a week, and I paid her by the hour. In other words, whether or not the cost should be passed onto the customer is a legitimate question, but there's no question that there is a cost to packaging and handling. When I'm not packaging, I could be doing something else work-wise (something I'll have to do later). To do that something else work-wise I'll have to pay someone to package. There's no way around that there's a cost to me to package.

Come on now guys, dont hate on someone elses opinion. You dont know me, so dont suspect that I am not a seller, or anything else for that matter.

Sorry Brett, let me clarify that. When I said free shipping, I meant when you get free boxes from usps, they send it to you free of charge, as in, no shipping costs.

Comment

• David
                        • Sep 2024

I remember when someone complained that one of the big auctions shipping charge was more than their cost. He meant the PO shipping price on the sticker on the box. I explained that, unless they are using slave labor, the auction house is paying people at least minimum wage to package, so their shipping/handling cost is at least that much more than the number on the package stickers.

Comment

• orioles03
                          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by trsent
                          Oops, I forgot to comment on this one.

When you bid .99-cents, you knew shipping was $3.00 so you basically accepted that you were buying a $4.00 card. If you only felt the card was worth $1.00, then you should have not bid, right?

I have a friend who used to charge $1.00 to ship a card, and then with new fees he raised it to $2.00. He doesn't use tracking for lower priced orders, but he found $1.00 for a .99-cents card he was losing money on the whole transaction.
                          i'm not concerned it's over i was just stating the facts whats a stamp now 42 cents im not sure but to charge $3.00 it's only $3.00 but thats almost a gallon of gas for a 22 year old kid who goes to ocean city all the time
                          orioles03@comcast.net

Comment

• suave1477
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2006

Heres a perfect example of too much shipping!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Baseball-1955-Re...QQcmdZViewItem

Ndevlin actually I looked into just out of curiosity to see what the actual costs would be on this item.
                            If you pay attention to the sellers shipping preference he is using UPS Next Day Air.
                            Which I checked out and roughly estimates on this item from $33.00 to $52.00 depending if on the specific day you choose.
                            He has it listed for $65 shipping.
                            So as he still may be gouging his actual balance he will make for himself would be between $13.00 to $32.00
                            Judging by this seller also doesnt seem like he is a big seller and probably is just trying to make an educated guess and get the item to you as quick and safe as possible.

For the item he is selling thats really not that bad (if the item is exactly what he says it is) I think it is actually worth it.

Comment

• mr.miracle
                              • Apr 2006

Come on now guys, dont hate on someone elses opinion. You dont know me, so dont suspect that I am not a seller, or anything else for that matter.

Sorry Brett, let me clarify that. When I said free shipping, I meant when you get free boxes from usps, they send it to you free of charge, as in, no shipping costs.

Thanks for the update, do you know if they have all one size shipping boxes or do they have different sizes? My wife picked up some boxes free for me before however they were too small to ship virtually anything that I have sold over the past year or two.

Thanks
                              Brett Herman

Comment

• ndevlin
                                • Mar 2008

Originally posted by suave1477
                                Ndevlin actually I looked into just out of curiosity to see what the actual costs would be on this item.
                                If you pay attention to the sellers shipping preference he is using UPS Next Day Air.
                                Which I checked out and roughly estimates on this item from $33.00 to $52.00 depending if on the specific day you choose.
                                He has it listed for $65 shipping.
                                So as he still may be gouging his actual balance he will make for himself would be between $13.00 to $32.00
                                Judging by this seller also doesnt seem like he is a big seller and probably is just trying to make an educated guess and get the item to you as quick and safe as possible.

For the item he is selling thats really not that bad (if the item is exactly what he says it is) I think it is actually worth it.

Hi Suave,

Yeah, I didnt see that it was next day shipping when I posted. Even though, I wouldnt want next day shipping anyways. I'd be ok with $10 3-5 day

Comment

Working...