Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Favorite All Star Game Moment

bigtruck260,
    I own the bat Bo used for that 448 foot homerun in the 1989 All Star Game you discussed. He crushed the ball with such force that he left a baseball seam mark impression deep into the wood of the bat. As Bo said: "I only got a piece of it." Amazing shot for a guy who didn't even catch the ball in his power alley.

Quote Originally Posted by hblakewolf View Post
    Although to the average fan it appeared as though A-Rod asked Ripken to change positions, in reality this was a "stunt" pre-arranged by Ripken with MLB in the know. I have a friend who works in MLB and she was aware of this before the game even started!

Hard to believe, but true.

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@comcast.net
    Howard:

While I will concede that this "stunt" was pre-arranged, I can assure you that Ripken did not know about it.

As someone else mentioned, the Home Run he hit in that game off Chan Ho Park was special. Along those lines, I decided to have my own "theme ball" made from that event with ESPN's Charley Steiner signing an Official '01 All Star Ball with his famous call of that HR "Did He Do It?......" and later had Cal sign it (who told me when he signed it thought it was a cool idea).

Quote Originally Posted by ironmanfan View Post
    Howard:

While I will concede that this "stunt" was pre-arranged, I can assure you that Ripken did not know about it.

As someone else mentioned, the Home Run he hit in that game off Chan Ho Park was special. Along those lines, I decided to have my own "theme ball" made from that event with ESPN's Charley Steiner signing an Official '01 All Star Ball with his famous call of that HR "Did He Do It?......" and later had Cal sign it (who told me when he signed it thought it was a cool idea).

My understanding from several sources is that virtually everyone at MLB did know about this move however Cal was completely unaware and of course this was purposely done so that it would be a surprise and make it more of a genuine moment. Of course, the fact that Cal hates to do anything to distract from the game itself might have led him to refuse to do this had he known in advance as well.
    Brett Herman

brettherman2131@hotmail.com

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.

bumping to the top for the 2015 ASG

My favorite ASG moments involved me as a fan. When I was a UGA undergrad in the late 1960's, they didn't allow dorm rooms to have TV's. Plus, color TV's were uncommon everywhere in the south. So it was a tradition for UGA students, by the hundreds, to congregate at the downtown Varsity, across from the Arch, to watch the ASG on the Varsity's color TV. (The old Varsity site is now a Five Guys, though the second Varsity still exists a few blocks away.)

MLB was very different in 1967 and 1968, before the Varsity tradition started to disappear. Each league had ten teams, with no divisions, with each playing the other 18 games ( the origin of the 162-game schedule that still exists.) But the ASG was still the ASG!

My fave was in 1997. I was sitting just to the foul side of the left field foul pole. Sandy Alomar Jr. hits the pole right above my head (it seemed), winning the game for the AL.

My favorite moment had to be seeing my childhood hero LEE MAZZILLI hit a home run in his first and only All-Star Game appearance - Seattle, 1979.
    It is a good possibility that I own the jersey he wore during the game, but I cannot get anything concrete other than a style match. Road jerseys are much more difficult to match than home pinstripes!
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com