Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Blue Jays jerseys (batting practice, etc)

I am positive it is a 1991. It has a white flag tag on with next to the Wilson label with "91" written on it. I have tried many times to track down who wore it but never had any luck. I thought maybe it was a hold out and it was used by Jack Morris in 1992 but it is a size 42. I have an Indians Jack Morris jersey from 1994 and it is a 48.

Banned

Is it possible they held it over from 1990 for Junior Felix for 1991?

That would make sense. Felix was 5'11" and 165lbs. He should have worn a size 42. He played in one game for the Blue Jays in 1990 and played in 66 games for the Angels in 1991. He could have started the 1991 season on the Blue Jays' DL then traded to the Angels.

Nevermind. Junior Felix was traded by the Blue Jays on December 2, 1990. None the less they still may have had a jersey made for him before the trade.

Bryan,

Regular season jerseys are typically not ordered in December or prior to December. The equipment manager orders the jerseys when there's a good idea of who's actually going to be on the team. This is typically done in spring. If the Jays traded Felix on December 2, 1990, then it's overwhelmingly likely they didn't make up a 1991 jersey for him.
    I also don't even believe that spring training jerseys would ordered as early as December (or November in this case).

I'll tell you from my experience of watching countless Jays' spring training seasons during those years, that the Jays trained in and often played in BP jerseys that were identical to regular season BP jerseys. Spring training was full of faceless players trying to make the team. They were all issued BP jerseys.

Lastly, if your jersey has a tag with only the year on it and not the uniform number then that furthermore tells me that it's likely either a spring training jersey or a spare BP jersey. Personally, I'm leaning towards the former - a spring training jersey worn by a player who didn't make the cut in 1991. If you really want to find out, these 2 guides may hold the answer:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=8765154032

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=8777595638

Rudy.

Here are the pictures. Guess it is a Rawlings, not a Wilson.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Bryan,

Strange jersey. I've spent a good amount of time studying Jays BP jerseys and from what I've learnt, they used Rawlings jerseys only in 1988. BP jerseys in 1990 and 1991 were Wilson. I've got a wealth of photo evidence to support this. At this point, I've no idea what that jersey is.
    The Rawlings tag is from 1990/1991. I believe Rawlings lost the contract to Wilson during those years though.

Rudy.