Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Tug McGraw 1965 Uniform Number

Quote Originally Posted by ironmanfan View Post
    I wonder if there were add'l licensing fees if they wanted to use the #45 McGraw (why else use #56?)
    If there were licensing issues, why make McGraw at all for that matter? There were better choices to pick from if Mitchell and Ness were dead set on creating another 1960's Mets jersey. Gil Hodges comes to mind. Also Ron Hunt, as he was their 1st All-Star. They also had Seaver, Ryan and Stengel during this era (M&N made their jerseys) and historical figures from NY baseball such as Duke Snider, Don Zimmer... Even Richie Ashburn.

They often had me scratching my head with their player and year selection. For example, at one time, they made 1978 jerseys. Sort of an odd pick, because throughout 1978-1982, the Mets wore this same style on field, but only 1978 had no names on back. The 79-82 styles had much more appeal. Next were the 2 guys selected to represent the 78 Mets: Bobby Valentine, and Willie Mays. Valentine, though a very successful manager of Mets teams 20 years later, was never much of a player -- in 1978, he batted .269 with 1 home run and 18 RBIs. Mays was a coach! Why not do one of the following guys of this era instead:

Lee Mazzilli (All-Star, Fan Favorite),
    Craig Swan (led the league in ERA),
    John Stearns (Multiple time All-Star),
    Willie Montanez (drove in 96 RBI in '78),
    Joel Youngblood (led the team in HRs in '79),
    Mookie Wilson / Hubie Brooks (fan favorites),
    Neil Allen (premier closer),
    Dave Kingman (feared HR hitter '81-82),

Food for thought...
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Re: Tug McGraw 1965 Uniform Number

I agree by far my favorite style. But what Mitchell and Ness screws up the fan has options. Youngblood and Flynn were 2 of my favorites..Swan and Zachry Mazz take someone from that era that played on a daily basis. I would buy a Hodges and Stengel. Mays while he played with the Mets and coached is better known as a NY /San Francisco Giant..
    Looking for Doug Flynn and Joel Youngblood items.NY Mets jerseys 78-82

Thanks Scott dcrules01@msn.com