Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tug McGraw 1965 Uniform Number

Not sure if this is the right area to post this in. Mitchell & Ness recently has advertised a 1965 Mets Tug McGraw jersey with number 56. I never recall him wearing this number and checked with a well known collector and was told McGraw wore 45 which is what I believe. M & N claims that they have a photo of McGraw with # 56. Is anyone aware of him ever wearing this number in 1965 with the Mets?

Re: Tug McGraw 1965 Uniform Number

I believe he wore #56 in his first season with the mets 1965 - here is a link from baseball reference of the 1965 roster

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/team...p?y=1965&t=NYN

Actually looks like he wore it in part of 1966 as well -

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/team...p?y=1966&t=NYN

They are the only ones who reference him wearing 56. www.mbtn.net shows him only wearing 45 and gives the exact dates he did so.

I just confirmed with the New York Mets that McGraw never wore # 56 during the regular season.

Banned

I spoke with Mitchell and Ness as I was curious about this myself.

This is what they told me:

#56 was Tug McGraws number in his first Spring Season when he joined the Mets. He changed his number to #45 going into regular season.
    According to them they have pictures of McGraw in Spring Training wearing #56

That is what they also told me after I told them I spoke to the mets. I would hope that at the very least they would change the way they have it listed and indicate to buyers that it is a spring training jersey and I see they have not done so as yet. In addition I asked if I would be able to purchase one with number 45 and was told no. I find it disappointing they cannot accommodate customers with a simple request like this. In my dealings with Ebbets Field Flannels which hold the license to make minor league jerseys they are willing to do any jersey of any minor league team from any year and their prices are usually $100 less than M & N.

Tug McGraw was born on Wednesday, August 30, 1944, in Martinez, California. McGraw was 20 years old when he broke into the big leagues on April 18, 1965, with the New York Mets. His biographical data, year-by-year hitting stats, fielding stats, pitching stats (where applicable), career totals, uniform numbers, salary data and miscellaneous items-of-interest are presented by Baseball Almanac on this comprehensive Tug McGraw baseball stats page.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGSTIG View Post
    I believe he wore #56 in his first season with the mets 1965 - here is a link from baseball reference of the 1965 roster

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/team...p?y=1965&t=NYN
    Very interesting stuff... it looks like baseball-almanac corrected the entry sometime between the point that Bigstig posted and now. McGraw is now listed as having worn #45 in both 1965 and 1966.
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

I wonder if there were add'l licensing fees if they wanted to use the #45 McGraw (why else use #56?)