Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What are the odds on these to 1996 MAC Gamers?

Hi all

Just curious as to what all you think about these 2 auctions?

First Auction http://cgi.ebay.com/Mark-McGwire-Aut...QQcmdZViewItem

In looking at this auction we have a 1996 Mcgwire Game used bat.In looking at the bat markings heres some read flag's
    1.Stamp into the knob MAC 5 360 96?
    Shouldn't it read 256b 360 96?I ask this cause I thought they change his model number to MAC 25 in 97. But I could be wrong.
    2. The R symbol in the middle of the bat?
    Dint They Change it in 97 and not 96?

After emailing the seller with some concerns and examples my response was"It was won at a charity event"

Second Auction
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Mark-McGwire-Bat...QQcmdZViewItem

Now in looking at this bat auction it appears to have the correct markings. Proper Rawlings label in the middle,and at the end of the bat with Big Stick Logo along with players name and Team under players name

Heres a red Flag for me.

The bat knob labeling is 256b 96.NO batch number. Did this change for that year only? After emailing the seller and asking about my concerns he stated that "This was bought at a card show years ago and that he couldn't say yes or no if the bat is a gamer"I ask this cause Heres another bat that has the same markings.
    http://www.freewebs.com/shoremen44/a...hotoID=7847070

I'm trying to think out side of the box for any possibilities since NO ONE HAS ACCESS TO RAWLINGS BAT ORDERS.... Any opinions is much appreciated.

Carlie Medina III
    carliemedinaiii@sbcglobal.net

Banned

Re: What are the odds on these to 1996 MAC Gamers?

Carlie:

For the first bat the MAC 5 strikes me as very odd. Never seen that before. As for the "R" label on the bat, it was only used in 1997 with the style with the green ring to my knowledge. 1996 would have looked like 1995 and previous years in the 1990's.

Second bat is odd the way the stampings are on the nob. I would stay away just because the markings are not that of the norm.

Aaron

I thought that same thing when I saw it. The green ring like that I thought was used in 97. Maybe the bat was made later on in 96. The stamp just might not have made a 2 in front of the 5 and I believe I have found photos as well as baseball cards that show Mcgwire using the same type of bat in 1996. I think that bat looks good in my opinion.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Mat2786@aol.com View Post
    I thought that same thing when I saw it. The green ring like that I thought was used in 97. Maybe the bat was made later on in 96. The stamp just might not have made a 2 in front of the 5 and I believe I have found photos as well as baseball cards that show Mcgwire using the same type of bat in 1996. I think that bat looks good in my opinion.

Matt
    Can you post your photos?Thanks in advanced

Carlie Medina III

The only thing that bothers me with this bat is the Rawlings, I keep looking for pictures that are closer of the logo. I have found many pictures of him in 1996 using a bat like this, however I can not tell if the Logo is completely round. This one is thicker looking on the outside circle and is not full all the way around. I don't no, I think it is good but am not sure now.

picture of him using it in 1996:

http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/De...92|0&id=238819

Matt

Matt

Its a tough call.

Carlie Medina III

The 2 is double stamped on the C, which is why you cannot see it. The bat looks legit to me.

And the 97 logo is probably because it was a late produced 96 bat. The batch code is 360 so that does make sense. Before 98 the demand wasnt nearly as high so batch numbers didnt reach much higher than 300-400. I have a 97 Sosa that has a 98 center logo because it was a late produced 97 bat.

1996-97 Rawlings had 3 different centerbrand logos.
    Here is a Homer Bush bat that is from 96. The same logo as the 96 Mcgwire.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Here is an 1997 with another variation center logo.
    Attached Images Attached Images