Hi Guys,

I have two Mickey Mantle Adirondack 302 bats from the 1960's in my collection that I have always wondered about. I'm now getting ready to sell them (probably on eBay) and feel its important to collect the facts so I don't misrepresent the bats. One of the bats is a model 288D (34 inches) weighing about 31.1 ounces, and the other is a model 288E (36 inches) weighing around 37.8 inches.

Based on previous research, I understand that there is some controversy as to whether C, D, and E models are pro models. Apparently, these models were available to major leaguers as well as others? In fact, much of my knowledge regarding this comes from the two paragraphs in the middle of page 65 from the Bats book co-authored by Mike Specht and others in the mid-1990's.

I have seen a few of these bats sell through major auction houses over the past few years, often achieving impressive prices. They never achieve the prices of a fully-authenticated gamer, but always seem to sell for many times the cost of a typical store model Adirondack bat. The latest examples were in the Vintage Authentics sale that ended last week. Lot 94 was a 1958-60 Mickey Mantle Adirondack 288D, graded A3 by MEARS. Lot 98 was a 1968-70 Willie Mays Adirondack 282D, graded A3 by MEARS.

Does anyone have definitive shipping records to help me determine whether or not I have pro model game used bats? Assuming those records are not available, what other factors should I focus on when trying to describe these bats to a prospective buyer? Any help is much appreciated.

Kevin Kasper