Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • suave1477
    Banned
    • Jan 2006

Re: Ebay game used prices versus Reality!

Originally posted by ahuff
    Suave,

To some extent you are correct, but also incorrect. My logic is this: If I want a mass produced item (lets say a CD) then I'll certainly shop around to see where I can get the best price. If my "market" of sellers has a range of prices from $9.99 to $17.99 then that is a pretty good idea of the value of that CD. Afterall, with an item as common as a CD, if they weren't selling for that amount they wouldn't have it priced there. That being said, it would take a pretty rare and remarkable CD to get me to pay $34.99.

In our area of items, it becomes much more difficult. That is to say that game used items have so many different variables that go into creating a market value. The amount of piling or wear on a jersey, the location and number of ball marks on a bat, the provenance associated with the item, if the item comes from a record game, and the list goes on and on.

In the example of 10 Jeff Kent bats. All we know is that the average is $150. Perhaps it would be better to know the range of value. Say the range is $125 to $190. It would be even better to know that the $125 bat either had unusual markings or no wear, while the $190 bat came with an MLB hologram (indicating game use) and had tons of wear. This is where I disagree with your statement. Let me state it this way "Would it be wise to ask $350 for a Jeff Kent bat?" Or "Would you pay $350 for a Jeff Kent bat, when you can find a similar bat for between $125 and $190." Certainly a seller can ask whatever they want, as the asking price isn't written in stone. But the truth is, a typical buyer (excepting an extraordinary item) is only going to pay what they can find a substitute item for. The value of the bat may not be written in stone, but it certainly is written in the wallet.

In real estate, transactions are deemed usable as market indicators if the item was offered on the open market, it was paid for in cash (or equal to cash), and both parties are knowledgable. In our hobby, I think it might be the last item that hurts the market value in ebay transactions. We have numbers of posts about people that got great deals on items because it was listed under the wrong category, had a limited description, or the person just didn't know what they had. In addition, I think that buyers tend to put additional authority behind an auction house, irregardless if the auction house has done due diligence. The good news is that that is where our forum helps inform potential buyers and sellers and to hold the game worn community to a higher standard.
    Well I am nut sure why your disagreeing I pretty muched summed up most of what you said by the (methpahor - depending on which way the wind blows) meaning taking into mind all the things that people have interest in that item that day, including of desire, provenance, wear on the item etc....

As far as buying a Jeff Kent bat for $350, sure why not if it is something I really want. You pay what your willing to pay.

As far as the member here who mentioned being offered a Gomez bat for more and the meber feels its only worth $20 to $30 - again thats is YOUR OPINION, and there is nothing wrong with your opinion but remember your opinion doesn't set the market or what your willing to spend doesn't set the market.
    I am not saying this as a bad thing I am just making a point from the example you used.

I am a D. Strawberry collector if a bat of his was offered to me for $500 I might even think thats crazy but that doesn't mean it is not worth it. There is someone out there who will pay for it. But if you want to sit and wait for the deal of a century then that is up to you. But you cannot say it is not market value just because you will not pay for it. It just not YOUR VALUE of that item.

TNT Basically explained best of what I meant and you can only take Ebay with a grain of salt.

If I am looking for a Corvette and I am in New York and they normally sell for $80,000 but in California a few sold for $65,000 does that set the market NO, those are just buyers who struck some good deals, But just because some people got something for less doesn't just set the market.

As far as Real Estate that is a bit different, that is a market that relys on recorded sales.
    Game Used Hobby doesn't rely on recorded sales because these items become more desired since there is less. It becomes a Market of Desire.

Comment

• bigtruck260
      • Sep 2007

I have always felt that GU can be an impulse hobby. I have seen people (including myself) drop some serious coin with little planning/preparation.

That being said...

A year ago, I was in the market for a Bernard Gilkey Cards bat. There was a site selling one for $85, and I was totally willing to pay that for it since I have not seen very many of them around. The day before I was going to buy the bat, one popped up on eBay.

Nobody bid on the eBay bat for the entire week, and I won it for about $20 bucks...and it was a ROOKIE bat. I was very happy that I saved $60...

I think it is just a matter of which way the wind is blowing (Like Suave said)...or what is out there, and who is interested.

I remember someone talking about a Javy Lopez bat that sold on eBay a few months ago for a GRAND...a good example of the strange things that can happen when an item is listed on eBay = and that doesn't factor in things like shill bidding and item misrepresentation.
      Dave
      Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
      River City Redbird Authentics
      http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

sigpic

Comment

• bigtruck260
        • Sep 2007

...and as far as dealers and their prices are concerned....

I would buy a bat from a respected dealer and pay a little more if I thought the piece was hard to find - or something that needed a little extra authenticity behind it if I was planning to move it at some point.

However, I think some dealers can get a little over zealous with their pricing because they have a reputation that precedes them. If for instance, I am buying an Albert Pujols bat from dealer A. or Jeff Scott, I'll pay Jeff more simply because I know that he will have done most if not all of the research to verify Albert probably used the bat. Not to mention, Jeff sells his bats at market value...and does not usually inflate them because he is a renowned Cardinal bat expert...

If it is a bat that can normally be had for under a hundred bucks, and the dealer wants $275 for it, I'll laugh at it...and wait for it to pop up on eBay - then bid on it when it is at a fraction of the original asking price. That's the eBay advantage for me.
        Dave
        Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
        River City Redbird Authentics
        http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

sigpic

Comment

• b.heagy
          • May 2006

I would be more than happy to pay $200 for a nice Joe Jackson B18 Blanket. Anyone selling?
          Bill Heagy
          heagysports.com
          Go Phillies !

Comment

• Fnazxc0114
            • Aug 2007

i have been burned on ebay selling things but things i didnt think would sell for much surprised me. ie hank blalock bat 40 dollars rusty greer bat 170 luckily the greer bat made up for my loss on the blalock. i would rather pay retail from dealers like ball park heroes because my items have never been lost in the mail and generally are better than described. they are the only company that i have bought from that i didnt care if i saw pics. ebay is a zoo. also one thing i like about dealers is i can generally call them and ask questions on ebay its a 50-50 shot whether they will reply back. as for the prices i have gotten good deals on ebay like everyone else but i would generally pay more from good retailers like bph.
            note: i dont know the people at ball park heroes but they run a good business.
            Baseball do what it do
            -Ron Washington

Comment

• trsent
              Banned
              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by b.heagy
              I would be more than happy to pay $200 for a nice Joe Jackson B18 Blanket. Anyone selling?
              Are they good? I saw Ty Cobbs selling last week for $150.00 each, did Ty Cobb have more than one blanket?

Comment

• b.heagy
                • May 2006

There are many variations to the blankets in the set. I beleive Cobb has three one being more valuable than the rest. I picked up a beautiful Cobb and Walter Johnson blanket this past week, The Joe Jackson has always eluded me for some reason.
                Bill Heagy
                heagysports.com
                Go Phillies !

Comment

• Frink
                  • Jun 2007

I use eBay as a guage of what things are worth, but I can't necessarily go on there and find everything I want, particularly in something like game-used items.

If I find something that I want at a place like the National for more than it would sell for on eBay, I have to weigh how bad I want it versus the difference in price (which I do silently - as someone else said, I don't want to rub it in the dealer's face). Sometimes I pay the fee for not being able to locate it on eBay or for the convenience of purchasing it there and then, and sometimes I do not.

I like having both options.

Comment

Working...