Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: GUU and the Collecting Community

perfect plan. $500 seems a bit low but i will deal. Maybe being forced to spend less is a good thing. Thanks for making such a forum and i am looking forward to its launch.

Matt

I really don't want to seem like a whiner. Of course, several of you who read this will see it as such. I guess that's fine, as long as I see it as my small attempt to contribute something to this, as a decision is made as to how to allow members to sell to one another through this site.

First of all, limiting the items sold to a maximum of $500 is not only arbitrary, but also short sited in lite of the reasons for doing so. Does this mean that GUU is more than happy to deploy their legal team to cover the anticipated expenses of defending themselves against suits filed in transactions below $500?? I think that we see that this is a compromise to placate those that have conducted transactions on this site in order to make as much money as they can. Is this wrong- of course not. But call a spade a spade, we deserve that.

I think having a classified section is a great idea. Protecting yourselves against liability is a must. I am not a businessman, I'm a social worker. However, I don't see any advantage in limiting the amount of the dollar amounts in transactions if there is a disclaimer that protects against law suits. I know there are lawyers here who could elaborate on this.....

This is not the first site that has offered a place for collectors to post, sell and comment on issues regarding game used jerseys and equipment. The arena of hockey offers two outstanding sites and neither has (to my knowledge) experienced any issues regarding collectors buying and selling articles that have been advertised on their sites. One site conducts auctions that have been (as I would assume) successful. In my opinion they are a bit shady, as they have banned some of its members for questioning items. This has not been done here and I have faith that it won't. I think they'd be a whole lot more successful if they would act in a more ethical manner and pull questionable items, but I'm just a guy with a limited income who wants to be a part of this hobby.

All I'm suggesting is this... Let collectors buy, sell and trade with collectors. Conduct auctions as you have and make some cash. By the prices realized in these sales, it seems fairly obvious that you all have capitalized on the ethical standards that have been set here. That's a good thing.

Presently, the members here all surf EBay as well. There really isn't a huge advantage between dealing with one another and listing an item on EBay. That's my opinion and I would be open to others, but we're all pretty well educated and know where we can get a good deal on something. The environment we work in determines how business is conducted. I really think that these things should be considered before short sited decisions are made that will adversely effct this ited are made. I love gameuseuniverse.com and I want to see it grow. Please don't cut off your head to spite you face with this issue. To many advances have been made due to your hard work... Thanks for reading...........

Great plan. I personally have always understood that "free" and an ongoing business cannot coexist. Carry on...

I think what people are missing (at least as I read it) is that the sub $500 classifieds will work similar to the old for sale section, just without moderator oversight. The new selling platform will still be rolled out, but will be limited to more expensive items and dealer inventory regardless of price.

Chris - thanks as always for the update.
    R.J. Hinners

Always looking for Don Mattingly and other Yankees' game-used items and quality memorabilia.

Chris, thanks for the update. The new setup seems very reasonable. Having the classified ads for items under $500 will be a boom for collectors of lesser named players. By using the reviewed selling platform for items over that amount, it will bring oversight and attention to the more expensive items. Personally, I believe this is a very good compromise allowing for the free exchange of information (and goods) but also providing income for the site and oversight for the more expensive items. Sounds like a great system! I look forward to not only the classified section but also the review section for more expensive items! Thanks for listening to us and keeping the forum great.

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    Thank you for introducing a "collector to collector classified" section to GUU. Like many of you, I await some of the deals I will find on this valuable resource. However, there are a couple of concerns I'd like to voice:

1) I don't understand why dealers cannot post blowout sales, etc on the sub-forum
    2) $500 seems kind of arbitrary

I would propose that collectors post inexpensive pieces on this forum, and that deals over $1,000 be worked out off this site. Or amend the "For Sale" section to not include prices at all.

Whatever the final decision is, I would be loath to allow liability to trump the will of the Game Used Universe members. By only being concerned with your own reputation, you will be the author of this site's demise.
    It seems pretty obvious to me that they would prefer not to have a "For Sale" section at all, yet they've decided to bring it back in a modified form as a compromise. It's their website and their business. If you're that unhappy (which I've gleaned from numerous posts), you should start your own site. Otherwise, cut the brother some slack.

Quote Originally Posted by reed1216 View Post
    I really don't want to seem like a whiner. Of course, several of you who read this will see it as such. I guess that's fine, as long as I see it as my small attempt to contribute something to this, as a decision is made as to how to allow members to sell to one another through this site.

First of all, limiting the items sold to a maximum of $500 is not only arbitrary, but also short sited in lite of the reasons for doing so. Does this mean that GUU is more than happy to deploy their legal team to cover the anticipated expenses of defending themselves against suits filed in transactions below $500?? I think that we see that this is a compromise to placate those that have conducted transactions on this site in order to make as much money as they can. Is this wrong- of course not. But call a spade a spade, we deserve that.

I think having a classified section is a great idea. Protecting yourselves against liability is a must. I am not a businessman, I'm a social worker. However, I don't see any advantage in limiting the amount of the dollar amounts in transactions if there is a disclaimer that protects against law suits. I know there are lawyers here who could elaborate on this.....

This is not the first site that has offered a place for collectors to post, sell and comment on issues regarding game used jerseys and equipment. The arena of hockey offers two outstanding sites and neither has (to my knowledge) experienced any issues regarding collectors buying and selling articles that have been advertised on their sites. One site conducts auctions that have been (as I would assume) successful. In my opinion they are a bit shady, as they have banned some of its members for questioning items. This has not been done here and I have faith that it won't. I think they'd be a whole lot more successful if they would act in a more ethical manner and pull questionable items, but I'm just a guy with a limited income who wants to be a part of this hobby.

All I'm suggesting is this... Let collectors buy, sell and trade with collectors. Conduct auctions as you have and make some cash. By the prices realized in these sales, it seems fairly obvious that you all have capitalized on the ethical standards that have been set here. That's a good thing.

Presently, the members here all surf EBay as well. There really isn't a huge advantage between dealing with one another and listing an item on EBay. That's my opinion and I would be open to others, but we're all pretty well educated and know where we can get a good deal on something. The environment we work in determines how business is conducted. I really think that these things should be considered before short sited decisions are made that will adversely effct this ited are made. I love gameuseuniverse.com and I want to see it grow. Please don't cut off your head to spite you face with this issue. To many advances have been made due to your hard work... Thanks for reading...........

reed you have some very good insight with your experience at other forum's like the hockey forum you mentioned. also your post is well thought out and has some great ideas. i hope the the admin read your post carefully and perhaps respond to it.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

First of all, limiting the items sold to a maximum of $500 is not only arbitrary, but also short sited in lite of the reasons for doing so. Does this mean that GUU is more than happy to deploy their legal team to cover the anticipated expenses of defending themselves against suits filed in transactions below $500??

No, it likely means the exact opposite - if the value of the items at issue is minimal, any lawsuit would likely end up in small claims court. If anything, limiting the value to $500 would keep GUU from having to call its attorneys.

A disclaimer may be helpful in defending against a lawsuit, but it doesn't preclude people from suing. And the cost of litigation is incredibly high, even if a claim has no merit.

Thanks for the update. I believe the new Classified section is a great idea when paired with the new For Sale section. A free section that avoids fees on low dollar items will keep me from posting on Ebay at all.

I do have one question about the For Sale seciton... How will GUU address the "Conflict of Interest" claims that are sure to arise when serving as the authenticator while charging fees for sales.... Some would say that this exactally the type of thing this website was created to avoid...

Personally, I will use both new sections and have no problem with the fees or authentication.. Just thought I'd bring this up now as I'm sure it'll arise in the future.

"For Sale" sections have been around since Fred Flinstone first listed Bam Bam's bat. There are thousands of sites with people selling anything from bats to martians! It can be done, Auctions are no less of a liability, in fact most of the complaints even on this forum have been geared towards Auction house issues. I would be curious to know of the thousands of transactions made through the old "For Sale" section on this forum, how many times has GUU been legally or otherwise responsible for any wrong doing. We are trying to force GUU to design a website to meet our indivisual needs and wants without having to do it ourselves. GUU is being forced to come up with excuses to avoid doing something they do not want to do to please the public. Thanks to GUU for providing a great tool for the collector and thanks to the thousands of forum members that have given GUU the name recognition they can benefit from today, they would not be here without you the members. The "for Sale' section without a doubt was the most popular section on this site, if it's new model is not to your liking, move on...... Like Chris mentioned it is a buisness and they entitled to make a profit.

George