• Show
Clear All
  • ChrisCavalier
    Paid Users
    • Jan 1970

Re: AWA85 - Banned???

Originally posted by cohibasmoker
    Chris,

As my posts will show, I have always supported your decisions of the "For Sale" section. Was AWA85 wrong for doing what he did? Perhaps but why not do what you guys have always done in the past - take the high road.

To me, your actions seem like something a auction house would do to retaliate against a forum member if they wrote a negative post against them on this forum.

I got a email from Dave and the way I see it, if he wants to start another forum, so be it. We are all trying to make the hobby better and a little competition is always a good thing. Just rememeber this, when someone opens another forum, the model for their website will be copied after your website because you guys are far and away the leaders in the industry.

In closing, please re-think your decision. Banned is one thing and a suspension would be another.

Jim
    Hello Jim,

I have to head to the show and only have a few minutes to post. First of all, I think the whole "ban" terminology is creating a bit of a hang-up. I didn't execute it but will check on how it was done. The whole "for life" thing wasn't the intention.

As another point of clarification, I do not see the taking of names off this site to send unsolicited emails without our consent as an okay thing. I think it is wrong and we will act whenever if ever it is done. The content didn't matter. It is something we think is wrong in the absolute and we will not condone it nor expose our members to that behavior.

If you look at the posts we have allowed, I think you can see we have allowed people to post their opinions even when they are different to ours. In fact, we are trying to figure out the best way to roll out a selling platform that meets the needs of both those on this site as well as GUU. As always, we will listen to opinions and suggestions from the members and try to figure out the best way to get it done.

Please let me know if that makes sense and if you have any other questions. Again, I have to leave for the show and will be traveling today but will check the late boards tonight when I return.
    Christopher Cavalier
    Consignment Director - Heritage Auctions

Comment

• eGameUsed
      Banned
      • Jan 2006

I was choosing to stay out of this, but have one simple comment in the form of a question.

What is the difference in receiving an e-mail from a member offering some hobby information versus an e-mail from this site offering their exclusive Dallas Cowboys deal?

I don't even collect game used football items so I felt that more spam than Adam's email. Isn't a mass e-mail to all members the definition of spam? Am I the only one that received that Cowboys e-mail?

Comment

• 3arod13
        • Apr 2006

Bottom line, a warning and slap on the hand should have been enough!
        Regards, Tony

sigpic

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Comment

• 3arod13
          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by 3arod13
          Bottom line, a warning and slap on the hand should have been enough!
          All Adam was doing was letting members of this forum know about another game used site. His intentions were nothing but good.
          Regards, Tony

sigpic

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Comment

• 3arod13
            • Apr 2006

I vote to reinstate Adam and end this thread!
            Regards, Tony

sigpic

Comment

• mvandor
              Banned
              • Apr 2007

Chris, GUU's foray into the for-profit world has understandably caused many here some concern as to how the forums will be run moving forward. Once the first dollar came over the transom here, this site became a commercial enterprise run by businessmen, and ceased to be a non-profit informational site by hobbyists for hobbyists. No other way to slice that as I see it; the first indication that things had changed was the removal of the free items for sale sub-forum.

Certainly the subject of Adam's email was adverse to your business interests here, so it is understandable that strong punitive action against him might come across as a new commercial enterprise's protection of its turf.

No question he violated an understandable rule which necessitates reasonable disciplinary action. I would suggest, however, that the word 'ban' has a permanent connotation to it and such an action is excessive. A suspension for a definitive period of time would seem more balanced and appropriate and would carry a much fairer appearance.

Comment

• mwbosoxfan
                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by metsbats
                I received an email from Adam regarding the other site today. I found no offense to his email and thanked him for the info. In fact I had joined the other forum months ago just to broaden my horizons and meet other collectors who may not be part of GUU.

This is not the first time I received unsolicited emails from other GUU members. I've had offers in the past to buy items and folks emailing me directly with questions about certain items. I honestly didn't even know it was illegal to email members outside of the GUU platform.

While I personally didnt not take offense to Adam's unsolicited email other folks may not feel the same way and wish to safeguard themselves from unsolicited emails which is the reason for the rule.

I think Adam acted with no malice intended and just was trying to help.

-David
                I agree totally with metsbats. Honestly, based on any other infractions a member might commit, a moderator would generally make a post pointing out the violation. There is no question what value this site and its members provide to the hobby. Everyone makes mistakes, but apparrently, the moderators or mgt. of the site made a bigger mistake in how they chose to deal with this particular situation. The main reason is that it raises issues concerning their credibility and contradicts what they say the purpose of the site is for.

Comment

• mwbosoxfan
                  • Mar 2006

Chris,

Did you PM or e-mail AWA85 and point out that he was in violation of the GUU rules? Did he have a chance to respond back to you before you banned him? Since it involved other GUU members, did you make a general post reiterating the rule stating that such practices were in violation?

Thanks,
                  John

Comment

• larry bourget
                    • Nov 2005

The first thing the GUU brass should do is remove " Share the Knowledge" from the GUU.com header, because Share the Knowledge does not work here anymore. This site is nothing but Contradictions on what is acceptable and allowed to stay and what is not., ........i signed up for Dave's website, i am sure it will be very refreshing. I will do my best to help make it a success.

He has a Welcome matt at the front door.

i accept email,
                    larry.bourget@sympatico.ca

Comment

• platinum1
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by larry bourget
                      The first thing the GUU brass should do is remove " Share the Knowledge" from the GUU.com header, because Share the Knowledge does not work here anymore. This site is nothing but Contradictions on what is acceptable and allowed to stay and what is not., ........i signed up for Dave's website, i am sure it will be very refreshing. I will do my best to help make it a success.

He has a Welcome matt at the front door.

i accept email,
                      larry.bourget@sympatico.ca

AMEN!! TO THAT

Comment

• flaco1801
                        • Nov 2005

to those members that thought the e-mail was "offensive", could they please post the way in which they only recieve mail that they have solicited. i would love to have my spam folder empty... and what did happen to the new platform that was to be the site of the "new" for sale banner??? regards Jeff

Comment

• DonTheLegend
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by eGameUsed
                          I was choosing to stay out of this, but have one simple comment in the form of a question.

What is the difference in receiving an e-mail from a member offering some hobby information versus an e-mail from this site offering their exclusive Dallas Cowboys deal?

I don't even collect game used football items so I felt that more spam than Adam's email. Isn't a mass e-mail to all members the definition of spam? Am I the only one that received that Cowboys e-mail?

what a great comment, because i too was going to remain on the sidelines, but youve prompted me to reply.

after reading this i am wondering what the difference is.

i know rules are rules, but it hardly makes any sense to me.

im not for or against either party on this issue however, if i receive an email that i choose not to read, i delete it. end of story.

i have also sent "unsolicited" emails with the purpose of helping out members on certain items or issues. i dont think its spamming or malicious.

i also think the rule is too black and white. a rule like that inherently has tons of gray area and is left to interpretation by some that dont fully understand what is being implied.

my two cents.

i'll hang up and listen.
                          donnyatdpi@gmail.com

Comment

• flaco1801
                            • Nov 2005

anyone gonna post the new website here or is that against the rules??? Jeff

Comment

• Billyu40
                              • Oct 2007

Would someone please send me the website to this new page, because i'm sure its illegal to post it on here. Thanks

Billyu40@hotmail.com

Comment

• cigarman44
                                • Aug 2007

Its not a new site. Its Tim's bat site which he himself has posted about on here before.

Hall Of Fame Bats - Specializing in Professional Model Bats From 1900 to Present.

Comment

Working...