Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: GUU and the Collecting Community

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    [/font]You are running the forum into the ground, and I don't like it.
    If it makes you feel any better, if this were my site I would have banned you by now for continuing to piss and moan. Seriously man, either start your own site or sack up and deal.

I've vastly enjoyed the conversation and exchange of information available on this site, and hope it stays around for a long, long time.

I've participated in one auction here, and was very satisfied with the item that I won, and the customer service of all involved.

I've also purchased one bat (less than $40 sale price) from a fellow Forum member, and traded another.

If I had an item to sell, and didn't like the conditions or rules as they exist in those parts of the Universe dedicated to that kind of thing, I guess I'd sell it someplace else. The same applies from the buying side.

Am I missing something here?

Quote Originally Posted by Birdbats View Post
    I tried to put myself in his shoes, thinking whether I'd want anybody to be able to sell items on my Web site. Knowing all the shady characters we've encountered in this hobby and remembering all the nasty transactions we've had on eBay and via other avenues, I simply can't imagine opening my site to the masses. It's about more than liability -- it's about reputation, and in the end, that's what defines us. If somebody used my site to sell fake items, that would reflect on the Birdbats name whether I had anything to do with the sale or not. I know I wouldn't be comfortable with that, which is why I can appreciate Chris' dilemma.
    Well said. I wouldn't want the headace either. I think what ever is offerred by the forum owners should be utilized by those who desire it, and appreciate it.

They have been taken a beating on this and I think some need to take a step back and appreciate what this site offers.

Many want to enjoy the use of this site, yet don't have to do any of the work it takes to run it.

As many have said in this thread, if you don't like what's offerred, maybe you can go else that satisifies your needs.

Just my thoughts. Not directed at anyone specific.

Regards, Tony

Quote Originally Posted by godwulf View Post
    Am I missing something here?
    Godwulf, I don't think your missing anything. It sounds really simple what GUU has laid out in regards to their new "For Sale" platform. I think folks should just give it a chance before they start complaining.

It's human nature for people (myself included) to be resistant to change but to quote Run DMC, "it's like that and that's the way it is"

Mi dos pesos....

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post
    Dicktionary? Now, that's just plain assinine.
    That's just flat out funny, I don't care who ya are! Kudos!

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post
    What constitutes a "dealer"? I have a bunch of jerseys in my closet, which is, I guess, could be called my inventory. I also have a website. I collect jerseys, but I also sell some to make ends meet. The term dealer is often used as a dirty word, like "pusher". Extra punishment for dealing that game worn junk around the Junior High. If anyone reading has ever sold a jersey, and still has more than one jersey in their "stockroom", then by definition, they are a dealer. I usually start off by giving a low priced jersey away. You seem to like the durene knit and the tackle twill. You say to yourself: "I could see myself paying for this." It is a good experience. You learn about heat-pressed numerals and nylon mesh. You are now a dyed-in-the-wool collector. Forget about taking your girl to the movies. You got a game-worn jones, way down deep in your bones.
    Donruss, Fleer and Topps are gateways to the hard stuff.
    You are my new hero. This is genius stuff.

I thought I would just say that this site has probably saved me enough money via the contacts I have made - to buy extra inventory. I consider myself a collector, but I also sell chunks off occasionally using several different mediums. Am I a dealer? I made a good amount of money in 2007-2008 selling merchandise...

Where does the line get crossed from Hobbyist to Dealer?
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by grandpahoo View Post

No, it likely means the exact opposite - if the value of the items at issue is minimal, any lawsuit would likely end up in small claims court. If anything, limiting the value to $500 would keep GUU from having to call its attorneys.

A disclaimer may be helpful in defending against a lawsuit, but it doesn't preclude people from suing. And the cost of litigation is incredibly high, even if a claim has no merit.
    Grandpahoo- I appreciate your response and would certainly defer to your legal knowledge.

I also want to thank Chris and those who participate in this forum for all that's contributed here. This forum, as well as the two hockey forums, have helped me to regain the enthusiasm that I had lost after dealing with shady people and getting burned multiple times on transactions during the 1990s. I feel like I'm a whole lot more educated and enjoy the exchanging of information with people I meet on these sites and I am very appreciative for the services that they provide.

I also think that it's healthy to have a debate on topics that effect our enjoyment of the hobby. I am relieved to read that the administrators are taking our feelings into account when devising the policies that govern this site and while I might not agree with them 100% of the time, I am very appreciative that they have developed a wonderful site that really does protect us from the scum that frequently surfaces in this hobby.

I also think it's a credit to Chris, Eric and the rest of the administrators that people have expressed themselves so passionately on this topic- agree or disagree. We need this site and we all want to help make it the best it can be. I also think that 99.9% of us will live with whatever policies come about and continue to participate with enthusiasm. I look forward to the for sale section returning to whatever extent it does, as it will allow for more interaction between collectors who care about this great hobby.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCavalier View Post
    Hello Everyone,

Thanks again for the feedback and let me address some of the responses here:

4) In regard to the “dealer” versus “collector” question, the “Collector to Collector Classified” section is, as its name suggests, being set up for collectors. If an entity is making a living in the hobby and carries huge inventories or consignments, they would likely fall in the “dealer” category. Again, this forum is being set up for collectors and we trust others will not try to abuse the privileges we are extending.
    Chris, I would think it shouldn't matter who is listing an item. You should reconsider this stance as I do not believe you can police who is making a living, a collector, a dealer or any other category we can determine. Will people have to submit photographs of their entire collection to be determined if they are a dealer or collector?

I would like a simple limit, say five items listed in a calender month, or maybe even less, would be an ample limit so you do not have to police who is a dealer and who is a collector. The police you have put fourth means that you would have to police who is maybe having their friends list items to hide behind a concept or any other games.

Jays1fan

Quote Originally Posted by trsent View Post
    I would like a simple limit, say five items listed in a calender month, or maybe even less, would be an ample limit so you do not have to police who is a dealer and who is a collector.
    I was thinking on the Same Lines as this. I think 2 Items per Week is Fair.
    Also , I would have it set up to where the Item Drops of the Board after a Month.
    I would have it set up to where you could not respond to the board and you had to contact the seller by email. That way there is No bumping and it is a true Classifed Ad. This would REALLY make GUU not Liable.

Question Re: GUU and the Collecting Community

Quote Originally Posted by BIGSTIG View Post
    Saying GUU won't have the knowledge to authenticate items, who are you to judge what they are and are not capable of? I have met some of the staff and they are VERY VERY good at what they do. Will it be a tough task for them to do...yes. Almost as tough of a task as it is for some of us to put up with your constent whining!!
    I am not doubting the knowledge of the "powers that be" at Game Used Universe. Rather, I just think it's an impossible task to authenticate every item that is sent in. To be up to this task, one would have to know the use characteristics of thousands of players, and that is next to impossible. As Lou Lampson said, "Authentication takes time", and I don't know if Chris et al. will have the time it requires to authenticate items sent in beyond a reasonable doubt.

Here are some other questions I would like to have answered by site administrators:

1) Will Chris et al. be in the position of authenticating their own items?
    2) Will donors to Game Used Universe have a more lenient authentication standard than do the rest of us?
    3) Will top posters be given the benefit of the doubt on questionable items?
    4) If a questionable item is "GUU Authenticated", will forum participants have the right to dispute the authenticity of the item?
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408