Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Purchase Foul or HR Ball in the stands

McGwire home run ball in 1998. I want to say it was number 3 - against the Padres at Busch. I will never forget...I locked my keys in my car with it running. It ran the WHOLE game in the parking garage. I think Gwynn hit a homer that day too.

Anyway, the kid that ended up with the ball (after it rolled, etc.) ended up selling it to an older lady for $500 - CASH.

She literally pulled out a wad of bills and put it in the kid's face.
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned

Last year at Fenway Park, during batting practice, there were a couple of young blond females halking baseballs by the Red Sox bullpen. By the time game time came along, they walked away with about 6-7 baseballs.

When they walked by my wife and I, I offered one of the girls $10.00 for a baseball. She said yes and I bought a very nice OAL baseball with nice use for $10.00. Not a bad deal at all.

Jim

Since I had 3-4 members e-mail me and ask for pictures of the ball, I thought I'd just post them here. An interesting sidelight to this is that I originally approached Cal to sign this ball a few years ago in the Press Box at Ripken Stadium and being the perfectionist he is, I explained what the ball was & handed him the ball & a blue ink pen, he told me to wait until he could find a black ink pen because he wanted to match the ink color of the Kinugasa signature (he actually walked away & came back like 5 minutes later with the black ink pen)...Anyway, these pictures aren't the best, but gives you a general idea....

This year,Cinncinnati at Mets. Ken Griffey Jr hit a foul into the lodge section. I'm a portal away and go over to the kid (18 yrs old?)who was with his friend and I offered him $100. His friend looked at me like I was crazy but he said no. Then his friend looked at him like he was crazy. It would worth that much only because Griffey hit it and I can guarantee with my own eyes that's the ball

Quote Originally Posted by ifirocked View Post
    I bought a David Wright HR ball in Detroit on 6-9-07 for $60. Top of the 8th, HR #11 on the season. The kid being a Tiger fan did not seem too sad to part with the ball. On an item like this it's more for me then anything else as you can't prove it being THE HR ball.
    did you document the transfer of ownership during the game? what did ask for in documentation when you bought it.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Mr.3000

Quote Originally Posted by ifirocked View Post
    I bought a David Wright HR ball in Detroit on 6-9-07 for $60. Top of the 8th, HR #11 on the season. The kid being a Tiger fan did not seem too sad to part with the ball. On an item like this it's more for me then anything else as you can't prove it being THE HR ball.

Ifirocked. Email me please.

If I was at the game and saw a home run coming towards my section hit by Chipper Jones, I'd offer $100 to the person who caught it. In fact, I think I'd offer $75 for anyone I root for (like 20 different guys) It would mean a lot to me for a foul ball also but mostly because I was there at the game when it happened. I think that is the coolest memento you can get and hey, you will never forget the game right?
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

in the late 1990's, and towards the end of Ray Lankfords "good" years, i offered a guy $250 cash for a homerun that Ray had just hit.

the guy instantly said "no thanks" and i dont think he would have given it up for more had i offered it.

on a similar note, the Cardinals have a "shirt off their back" day every year and i followed a young boy and his grandparents out of the stadium and offered $500 cash to him. he stared at me like i was pulling his leg and when i pulled out the cash the grandmother politely said "no, he's a big Cardinals fan".

....you know what, im a big Cardinals fan too but im also a huge fan of money. i think about that jersey alot and wonder how many times that kid a wore it or even took kit out of the box in the attic.

...not for nothing, but the jersey the boy had won was none other than a Lankford (needless to say).

Quote Originally Posted by ironmanfan View Post
    I was at the games in June, 1996 @ Kauffman Stadium in Kansas City when Cal Ripken Jr. tied & passed Japan's Sachio Kinugasa (sp?) for the all time ironman record of 2215 consecutive games. In the record breaking game, Chris Hoiles hit a foul ball in the seats, which I purchased off the fan who caught it for $50. Fortunately, I knew the agent that Kinugasa was using and actually caught a ride back to the hotel afterwards with him & had him sign it with the "2215" notation on the sweet spot and subsequently had Cal sign it with a "2216" notation. If anyone would care, I could post a picture of it. I know it has to be the only GU ball from that game autographed by both.

whhp72@yahoo.com
    Hey IMF, I was also at that game. I had a good telephoto lens, so I have a couple of shots with Ripken and Kinugasa standing together in case you wanted one to display with your ball. If so, shoot me an email and I can upload some high-res scans for you. You've got some great items by the way.

Rick
    rickjlucas@gmail.com
    Attached Images Attached Images