Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • byergo
    • Feb 2006

Re: Barry Bonds Issues

The real "King" is Mickey Mantle who was dramatically better than Maris and batted behind him, which allowed Maris to see tons more pitches than Mantle and get intentionally walked exactly ZERO times during the 1961 season. To bad Mickey didn't get to set the record, as his performance was clearly better.

Comment

• trsent
      Banned
      • Nov 2005

Don't forget, Sammy Sosa may have taken performance enhancing drugs and though he never set a record, he did pass them all.

I like the ruling, "A season is a season."

Next they will come up with, "A season is a season, even if there was enhancement drugs possibly used, they were not against the rules of our sport at the time even though they were against the rules of most other major sports."

I do believe Hulk Hogan's records should be shredded and Vince McMahon should refund all customer who ever paid to see him work or buy his toys or buy his video games or buy his pay-per-views should be refunded because Hulk must have used them.

Oh wait, did anyone see Vince McMahon's picture on the cover of Muscle & Fitness this month? He must be on something:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1163.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	635173

Comment

• suave1477
        Banned
        • Jan 2006

Byergo I do agree Mickey was king but dont forget it was Roger who put him on that thrown, just as much Mantle was great Maris helped mantle get to that level.

Comment

• Rob L
          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by suave1477
          I said it before and I will say it again in my eyes ROGER MARIS still holds the record all other records should have an asterik.

And your wrong about baseball turning there back cuz dont forget Maris's record had an asterik next to it until I believe 1990 or something like that.

So if they could do it to maris from 1961 to 1990, they can do it to Mcgwire and Bonds.
          Doing it to McGwire and Bonds years later is doubtful. First, there was no evidence at that time that they were on 'roids and their can never be. Second, the asterik was placed on Maris' record immediately, they didn't evaluate it 3 to 7 years later and decide to put an asterik by it.

Bonds may be easier to prove that he was using, depending on this latest evidence (again, it is heresay at today). McGwire has never been proven nor is their any evidence, other than Canseco. Since baseball has blackballed Canseco, it becomes word against word and baseball will always side with Mcgwire.
          Rob L
          loefflerrd@cox.net

Always On the Look Out for Troy Percival & Randy Johnson Gamers

Rob L's Baseball Memorabilia website: GU Troy Percival, GU Randy Johnson, GU Angels, GU Baseball, 19th Century Baseball and Autographs. Also a huge Game Used Resource page and Game Used Collectors Page: www.loefflerrd.webs.com

Comment

• trsent
            Banned
            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by suave1477
            Byergo I do agree Mickey was king but dont forget it was Roger who put him on that thrown, just as much Mantle was great Maris helped mantle get to that level.
            Ok, whatever, so your point is that Mickey Mantle was nothing without Roger Maris?

How few seasons did Maris play with Mantle? One year they pushed each other? Mantle was a staple of greatness during his era, with or without Roger Maris.

There was one better player I feel during that era, and his name is Willie Mays. He was the only one to play at the same level, but his place in history will always be behind Mantle, which is not right but it is what it is.

Comment

• suave1477
              Banned
              • Jan 2006

Trent as i said in my post i said Mantle was a great player, i also said maris helped mantle i didnt say he made mantle. Also it is a proven fact the maris helped mantle bcuz of that era up until maris came to the yankees Matle use to catch a lot of slack bcuz people were upset believing he was going to break ruths records, So as much as praise from fans and press he also recieved a lot of negativity, UNTIL MARIS CAME ALONG and all the negativity started falling on Maris, which made Mantle shine even to the negative fans and press, one reason in particular maris couldn't handle all the publicity. Also if you follow his career he was still a decent player up until his career ended with the cardinals also remember he got hurt badly quite a few times after the 61 season. So his numbers did decline.

But also remember during his career with the yankees and the cardinals they told him dont play for the game or average people want home runs. So he always tried to swing for the fences.

There was even one time when he played for the cardinals his finger was hurting him, and the doctor told him it was nothing bcuz they wanted him to go back out there and try to hit some hme runs later he found out that is was broken the whole time and they didnt say anything to him bcuz they wanted him to swing.

Comment

Working...