X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trsent
    Banned
    • Nov 2005

Barry Bonds Issues

Ok, I am still waiting to get called out for defending Barry Bonds all this time when there is a book coming out that details about five years of his alleged drug abuse.

I am still going to stand behind my comments from the past that since the drug was not outlawed in baseball, it shouldn't reflect on his stats or records he has and will set.

Did he lie to Congress? This is still not certain. A book doesn't prove guilt, but it does make more eyes open to the case and it puts Barry back on the hot seat.

I am still confused how Jim Miller was suspended from The Chicago Bears years ago for using a drug he bought at General Nutrition Center.
  • sylbry
    • Nov 2005

Re: Barry Bonds Issues

Barry should have taken his own advice.

Wanted: Minnesota Twins throwback or special event jerseys.

Comment

• trsent
      Banned
      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by sylbry
      Barry should have taken his own advice.

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/A...ction_ID=25746
      Mastercard should make a commercial with your post, because it is Priceless.

Comment

• suave1477
        Banned
        • Jan 2006

GUYS I FIRGURED IT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DAM IT WAS RIGHT IN FRONT OF US THE WHOLE TIME!!!

That same company also made a wristband for Darryl Strawberry he was another one of the players selected to wear that wristband.

GUYS DONT YOU GET IT!!! ITS NOT THE PLAYER, OR THE GAME, OR THE STRESSES OF LIFE THAT MAKE THEM DO IT!!!!

ITS THE WRISTBANDS!!! LOL LOL LOL LOL

Comment

• trsent
          Banned
          • Nov 2005

They should have a commercial with Spike Lee stating: "It must be the wrist-bands".

Comment

• Rob L
            • Nov 2005

Murder is not outlawed in baseball. Does that make it ok?

Steroids without prescriptions has not been legal in the United States since 1991. That means they are illegal to have in baseball since 1991. Just because baseball rules don't outlaw it doesn't mean it isn't illegal.

That said, since baseball has turned a blind eye to this steroids until recently so they would be a little hypocritical to blank out any records that were set when they weren't enforcing the law.

Rob L
            Rob L
            loefflerrd@cox.net

Always On the Look Out for Troy Percival & Randy Johnson Gamers

Rob L's Baseball Memorabilia website: GU Troy Percival, GU Randy Johnson, GU Angels, GU Baseball, 19th Century Baseball and Autographs. Also a huge Game Used Resource page and Game Used Collectors Page: www.loefflerrd.webs.com

Comment

• trsent
              Banned
              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Rob L
              Murder is not outlawed in baseball. Does that make it ok?

Steroids without prescriptions has not been legal in the United States since 1991. That means they are illegal to have in baseball since 1991. Just because baseball rules don't outlaw it doesn't mean it isn't illegal.

That said, since baseball has turned a blind eye to this steroids until recently so they would be a little hypocritical to blank out any records that were set when they weren't enforcing the law.
              This issue always bother me.

YOU ARE COMPARING MURDER TO STEROID ABUSE?

Hehe, makes me laugh.

Should Fergie Jenkins be removed from The Hall of Fame?

He was caught with marijuana if I remember correctly, this is considered quite a crime. Please don't tell me that dope doesn't make you hit the ball further - It is against the laws of the USA to possess marijuana, right?

Apples and pears, don't compare them, just eat and enjoy!

Comment

• Rob L
                • Nov 2005

Originally posted by trsent
                This issue always bother me.

YOU ARE COMPARING MURDER TO STEROID ABUSE?

Hehe, makes me laugh.

Should Fergie Jenkins be removed from The Hall of Fame?

He was caught with marijuana if I remember correctly, this is considered quite a crime. Please don't tell me that dope doesn't make you hit the ball further - It is against the laws of the USA to possess marijuana, right?

Apples and pears, don't compare them, just eat and enjoy!
                Murder, petty theft, robbery, sexual abuse. Pick your poison

All of this stuff gets to be ridiculous. As long as baseball turns their back (like they will probably do again this time), all records should stand. History will look at this as another era in baseball, ie. deadball era, liveball era, steroid era, etc., etc..
                Rob L
                loefflerrd@cox.net

Rob L's Baseball Memorabilia website: GU Troy Percival, GU Randy Johnson, GU Angels, GU Baseball, 19th Century Baseball and Autographs. Also a huge Game Used Resource page and Game Used Collectors Page: www.loefflerrd.webs.com

Comment

• trsent
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Rob L
                  Murder, petty theft, robbery, sexual abuse. Pick your poison

All of this stuff gets to be ridiculous. As long as baseball turns their back (like they will probably do again this time), all records should stand. History will look at this as another era in baseball, ie. deadball era, liveball era, steroid era, etc., etc..
                  See, if you commit pre-meditated murder many parts of this country, you will receive a sentence of death.

If you put Steroids in your body, I have never heard of such a punishment from the government.

In other words, the punishment is so far greater for one than the other that they are different and not comparable.

I do like your other points.

Joel

Comment

• suave1477
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2006

I said it before and I will say it again in my eyes ROGER MARIS still holds the record all other records should have an asterik.

And your wrong about baseball turning there back cuz dont forget Maris's record had an asterik next to it until I believe 1990 or something like that.

So if they could do it to maris from 1961 to 1990, they can do it to Mcgwire and Bonds.

Comment

• Rob L
                      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by suave1477
                      I said it before and I will say it again in my eyes ROGER MARIS still holds the record all other records should have an asterik.

And your wrong about baseball turning there back cuz dont forget Maris's record had an asterik next to it until I believe 1990 or something like that.

So if they could do it to maris from 1961 to 1990, they can do it to Mcgwire and Bonds.
                      Untrue. Baseball's image has been so tarnished after the 1994 strike, Selig will do anything to keep fan interest. In addition, the Maris issue was eventually resolved. The asterik was made by the commisioners office because they were homers for Ruth and only wanted Mantle to surpass it. The asterik was removed and it just fits into the whole era discussion, ie. the 154 game era vs 162 game era. Frankly, passing Ruth now is not a big deal because the it is a 162 game season. I think my rambling is becoming incoherent at this point.

BTW, your right, Maris is still the king!!! Although the pitching was diluted in 1961, their weren't any strength enhancing drugs (that we are aware of) and the fences were further away.

Rob L
                      Rob L
                      loefflerrd@cox.net

Comment

• Nathan
                        • Nov 2005

I believe that possession of anabolic steroids without a legal prescription is a federal offense, and that anabolic steroids themselves are a substance in the same classifications as heroin, cocaine, crack, and a whole host of other stuff. Just because MLB didn't have their own anti-steroid policy doesn't mean that the federal government hasn't had their own. The reason that the FBI and DEA became involved in the BALCO case, to the point of having these various trials in federal couirt, is because of the fact that possession of certain substances (steroids, HGH, etc) is a federal offense and a serious one at that.

Just because MLB wants to pussyfoot around the issue doesn't mean that everything is all hunky-dory. Does this mean they should asterisk everything? No, it doesn't, because of the fact that means that MLB is taking an official stance on a player's guilt. Bonds would probably sue in federal court to have any and all asterisks removed anyway, since it would be impossible (and unlawful) to star his career marks while not tagging anyone else's.
                        Looking for Duane Kuiper home run baseballs

Comment

• suave1477
                          Banned
                          • Jan 2006

Well if you read my post i did say McGwire also!!! and those 2 are the most 2 that i am aware of that were able to break records due to roids, and if they're other players that broke records due to some time of enhancement drug then put asteriks next to them all. Barry Bonds can't sue a dime out of anyone if that was the case I am sure Maris would have tried at some point to appeal his asterik and to the best of my knowledge he did not. I am not saying he didn't at all i am just saying to the best of my knowledge.

Comment

• Nathan
                            • Nov 2005

suave,

I did read your post. Going after McGwire and officially staining him (as putting an asterisk is) would be based on nothing more than rumors, innuendo, and hearsay. Until there is something more substantial on McGwire (which there probably never will be), then there's no way to star his name either.

For MLB to officially stain Bonds (I can't stand Bonds, so I'm not in his corner on anything) without aggressively investigating every other player who put on an MLB uniform duiring his career is a sure way to get dragged into federal court.

To me, retroactively punishing players or teams after the fact reeks of the old communist mentality; how many thousands of people were officially made to have never existed by (after being milled) having their personal records destroyed, images airbrushed from photos, and so on. It's like the NCAA going back and saying that Michigan's Final Four appearances never happened; they were there plain as day.
                            Looking for Duane Kuiper home run baseballs

Comment

• suave1477
                              Banned
                              • Jan 2006

Nathan i hear what your saying you can't take away what everyone has already witnessed, your right about they cant interogate every player during his seasons of playing but then again they didnt break records either!! but i do understand your point i am just truley unhappy that it wasnt broken by someone with natural ability to do it to begin with. Now there is the possiblity he could even brake Aarons record don't you think that is unfair.

As far as you saying staining players. What about Maris his record had a stain for 30 years and died before it was even removed do you think that was fair. Life is unfair so let Bonds and McGwire feel some of that unfairity...

Think of it like this by not doing anything about it your staining the history of baseball ( forget just one player how about all of baseball )

Comment

Working...