Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Mastro - 2006 Shaquille O'Neal Finals jersey

"Shaquille O'Neal 2005-06 World Champions Miami Heat Game Worn NBA Finals Road Jersey"

Lot #889

http://www.mastroauctions.com/index....t&CurrentRow=1

"The jersey, worn in Game 2 at Dallas, shows appropriate light use. Graded A-5 by MEARS. LOA from Mastro Auctions."

getty is replete with images of o'neal from game 2 of the '06 finals. none of the images show the front number placement, patch placement, or nob arch seen on the mastro jersey.

rudy.

Re: Mastro - 2006 Shaquille O'Neal Finals jersey

These last couple of jerseys has not made Mears look good. They messed up this one and also that Albert Pujols one acouple of weeks ago. Did you send mastro anything.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
    These last couple of jerseys has not made Mears look good. They messed up this one and also that Albert Pujols one acouple of weeks ago. Did you send mastro anything.
    I would like to see the MEARS letter before you state that they don't look good. They may have authenticated the jersey as Game Used from that season and didn't attributed it to that game.

As Trsent said, you have to read the MEARS LOO before you know what it claims. in particular as they graded the jersey A5 not A10.

dave grob responds:

----------------------------------------------------------
    I have been asked about the Shaquille O’Neal jersey currently offered in Mastro’s Auction. The jersey was graded as an A5. Comments for this jersey per the letter for Cert # 304225 are as follows:

Comments:
    The Heat wore black road jerseys in Game 2 of the NBA finals. NBA finals patch has been reattached. Jersey style photo matched -- Getty Images #71224229 and #71224232.

MEARS made NO definitive claim or attribution that this shirt was worn during Game 2 of the finals. Collectors are also reminded that the definition for jerseys graded A5 includes this language:

“that was manufactured for player use or as an extra for a team or player, or one that may have been made available for retail sale or promotion.”

Dave Grob
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

the mears letter simply stated that the heat wore the black style jerseys in game 2. apparently mastro then took that comment and stated that o'neal wore this particular jersey in game 2.

that's not the only disconcerting issue however. the mears letter also mentions the fact that the patch has been reattached. clearly it's a pertinent piece of information that mastro seems to have omitted from the description.

i don't think it's mears who dropped the ball on this one. oddly enough, the twisting of facts (from "the heat wore this style in game 2" to "o'neal wore this exact jersey in game 2") and the omission of the reattached patch would seem to make the jersey appear more valuable than it is.

rudy.

Does reattached mean the patch was on, then it was off, and now it's back on?

Hi Joel,

Yes, MeiGray offers an authentication service.

We have not publicized it on our website because we get too many items to authenticate simply through word of mouth among our more than 11,300-customer database. Substantive and thorough authentication, which we pride ourselves on at MeiGray and which we believe sets us above other authenticators, takes much time and effort.

We work primarily with hockey jerseys, but with our access to Getty Images' vast photo library, and the resources of the NHL and NBA through our league endorsed authentication programs, quite often we can help.

We do not authenticate all game-worn jerseys, because we do not consider ourselves experts on all aspects of all sports within the game-worn hobby, and we do not try to waste collectors' time and money if we do not believe we can help.

Please let me know which jersey or jerseys you would like to have authenticated, by calling me toll-free at 888-463-4472, or e-mailing me at bmeisel@meigray.com.

I'll be happy to let you know if we can help,
    Regards,
    Barry

I have used Meigray for 3rd party authentication...Barry and Stu have worked with me on several items...nothing but a positive experience with both...CLASS ACTS!

-Chris

jersey has been removed.

rudy.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryMeisel View Post
    Hi Joel,

Yes, MeiGray offers an authentication service.

We have not publicized it on our website because we get too many items to authenticate simply through word of mouth among our more than 11,300-customer database. Substantive and thorough authentication, which we pride ourselves on at MeiGray and which we believe sets us above other authenticators, takes much time and effort.

We work primarily with hockey jerseys, but with our access to Getty Images' vast photo library, and the resources of the NHL and NBA through our league endorsed authentication programs, quite often we can help.

We do not authenticate all game-worn jerseys, because we do not consider ourselves experts on all aspects of all sports within the game-worn hobby, and we do not try to waste collectors' time and money if we do not believe we can help.

Please let me know which jersey or jerseys you would like to have authenticated, by calling me toll-free at 888-463-4472, or e-mailing me at bmeisel@meigray.com.

I'll be happy to let you know if we can help,
    Regards,
    Barry

reading a post like this reiterates the differences between Meigray and all other authenticators...it sounds like they do the same reasearch that many on this site do, but with greater resourses

Meigray comes right out and tells ya how they do it...No BS...anyone know what lengths 100% UN-authentic, Lampson, GF, and Mastro go to authenticate something?