Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Are card companies interest against GU collectors?

Are card companies interest against GU collectors and how can we buy up team collections before card companies get a hand on them?
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Re: Are card companies interest against GU collectors?

Card companies aren't against game used collectors at all, insofar as they only cut up regular-season items of modern-day players. I would rather have a jersey cut up into several peices and actually be enjoyed by the masses, than to have some rich collector have the entire piece in his bedroom closet. I think it's great for the hobby when a little kid can own a piece of Barry Bonds's game-used jersey. That's what collecting is all about, namely, having a piece of a favorite player's game used memorabilia.

What I am against is card companies cutting up all-star jerseys and milestone items. And it's not only card companies that are getting into the fun. Look at this manufactured "beauty":

You can get a piece of a ball from Ichiro's 1,000th hit game, along with a replica lineup card, for $300. As a fan of the game, I just wish that these milestone balls were left whole, so I could have the opportunity of owning one.

Balls from a milestone game can be sold, but I would prefer to have the actual balls go to the Hall of Fame, as opposed to ending up in a private collection.

Hope this clarifies my position.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

With about 40-50 balls used per game, I wouldn't care a whole lot about cutting up a baseball.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    TFig27 - NY Yankees Collector
    A. Boone - R. Cano - N. Swisher - T. Martinez - P. O'Neill - E. Hinske
    J. Damon - R. Brogna - D. Bragg - W. Upshaw - K. Farnsworth

Quote Originally Posted by TFig27 View Post
    With about 40-50 balls used per game, I wouldn't care a whole lot about cutting up a baseball.
    But as I understand, only a handful are MLB Authenticated.
    Les Zukor

(617) 682-0408

Quote Originally Posted by TFig27 View Post
    I read somewhere that about 120 baseballs are used per game. They can cut up as many as they want- they all look the same anyway. They wouldn't cut them up to sell if there wasn't demand for them.
    kelly

even if they cut up milestone items i just wished they would have a photo on the back of the card showing the item befor it was cut. better yet a video on their web site showing them cutting the item.

Quote Originally Posted by kellsox View Post
    I read somewhere that about 120 baseballs are used per game. They can cut up as many as they want- they all look the same anyway.

kelly
    Game used baseballs look different, with their characteristic hues and ball marks. They are fun to collect, especially when they are used in milestone games. I still think it's upsetting when they cut them up, since they ruin the individual character of the baseballs.
    Les Zukor

(617) 682-0408

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    Card companies aren't against game used collectors at all, insofar as they only cut up regular-season items of modern-day players.
    they have other thing besides modern-day player items such as donruss cutting up a bath ruth jersey.

http://espn.go.com/sportsbusiness/ne...0/1642358.html
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

The problem is that, quite literally, one man's trash is another man's treasure.
    Looking for Duane Kuiper home run baseballs

just wondering if anyone thinks in the future players game used equipment will be difficult to obtain because of exclusive rights by companies (ie. steiner) or because of team collections bought out by card companies.

is game used cards here to stay or a fad like insert cards in the early 90's?
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com