heagysports.com
    Go Phillies !

Comment

• frikativ54
      • Dec 2007

Re: Question on new classified

Originally posted by b.heagy
      mlb.com makes a pretty quick buck.
      They actually give 90% of proceeds to charity. I am happy that I can get a game-used item and still have my money still go to a good cause.
      Les Zukor
      bagwellgameused@gmail.com
      Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
      (617) 682-0408

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by frikativ54
        The problem is that I am left
        The irony is I actually agree with Frik's political views 100%. I have already admitted that i'm a wanna-be subversive radical (and that is no joke).

I expose the fact that certain dealers are out only for profits.
        As opposed to the dealers who sell items for less than they paid...just for kicks?

Comment

• chakes89
          • May 2006

I wish there was an ignore button on this site........................
          I collect Jay Bruce and Cincinnati Reds Minor League stuff

My email address: hakes89@gmail.com

Comment

• trsent
            Banned
            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by chakes89
            I wish there was an ignore button on this site........................
            There is!

Click User CP (blue Bar on top part of screen)
            Click under Miscellaneous: Buddy/Ignore Lists

Enter new user to list!

Comment

• jetersbatboy
              • Jun 2008

Suggestion for the new classified, maybe GUU should require all for sale items to be posted with a picture. That way all members can see an item rather then just who is interested. it will enable members to better police the items by having more partys view it and give a opinion based on a visual examination rather the just name recognition. It may also deter people "dealers" from mass posting due to the fact it would take them more time and effort to post.
              Thanks For Reading Scott

Comment

• Vintagedeputy
                • Oct 2005

Originally posted by jetersbatboy
                Suggestion for the new classified, maybe GUU should require all for sale items to be posted with a picture. That way all members can see an item rather then just who is interested. it will enable members to better police the items by having more partys view it and give a opinion based on a visual examination rather the just name recognition. It may also deter people "dealers" from mass posting due to the fact it would take them more time and effort to post.
                Thanks For Reading Scott
                That's not a bad idea. Sounds good to me.

Comment

• allstarsplus
                  • Nov 2005

I have spoken to some collectors that look at the site but don't Post because they don't want all the drama that goes with Posts here.

In my opinion, it is Threads like this that turn people away.

Frik, you have made some good contributions in the past but recently the Posts have been very Off Topic. We certainly don't need to hear about your political views as there are enough Forums where you can do that.

I think if Chris was limiting items to $500 or less so he could get them on his Auction he is shortsighted as he would have homefield advantage to look at premium items and try to get the sellers to put them on the auction. Just my opinion.

As far as dealers go, I would be a dealer under the current system that can't sell on here, but it is good to keep some away who don't contribute to the site but would only want to use this as their personal listing site and that would not be good. I think dealers that have posted 500 or more times have shown they have contributed and should be allowed to Post on the "For Sale". Chris, what do you think of that idea?
                  Regards,
                  Andrew Lang
                  AllstarsPlus@aol.com
                  202-716-8500

Comment

• ironmanfan
                    • Sep 2005

They actually give 90% of proceeds to charity. I am happy that I can get a game-used item and still have my money still go to a good cause.
                    Please show me exactly where MLB.com gives "90% of proceeds to charity." Some of their GU listings, the proceeds from a particular Line Up card for example will go to that particular teams charity, but please show me where MLB.com themselves (the entity actually holding the auction) gives 90% to charity of their cut. And thinking this yourself, when you bitched to them enough to actually get some money back on that Bagwell, lineup card, that you were taking money away from these so called "good causes?"

Comment

• mvandor
                      Banned
                      • Apr 2007

Frik, while I understand and even share in your concerns, your way of presenting your points is coming across as sabre rattling, and over the top. You're just working your way toward a ban no one will argue over with your views getting lost in the process.

The bottom line IMHO is that the limit is principally motivated by the desire to channel higher valued items into the auctions. I've been a business man for 25 years and that's extremely clear to me. The other reasons given are so far down the list as to be nearly irrelevant, even to some extent on the liability concerns. IMHO there is FAR more liability exposure in just offering the forums because of the perennial criticisms (usually well founded) against bad product and bad people populating the industry which could generate legal backlash.

Alot of the recent unrest here seems to me to be based on some of us waking up to the fact that GUU has now shed its altruistic clothing to become a for-profit business, and that shifting management decisions altering the landscape here are now business driven. Personally, I now view the forums as a loss leader, a part of The GUU Auction House's marketing plan to attract potential auction clients, and that will forever affect how I look at and feel about these forums.

If others are reacting that way as well, I understand.

Does it mean the forums will lose their value to the community? Likely not so long as Chris continues to exercise some sensitivity and light handedness in administration of the thing. A few too many bans or other actions appearing profit driven, however, will most certainly drive some away seeking the non-profit environment this once seemed like.

Comment

• RKGIBSON
                        • Mar 2006

Wow, I did not ask the question to create this type of response. Personally, I think the limit is ridiculous. I ask the question to get a response from GUU and to provoke thought and debate on this rule. As a paying member, I think we should try and make the forum better by questioning and talking about thing such as this.

I am in business myself so I expect no one to provide a service for no return. If the for sale section rule is about money then I think it needs to be done a different way. Create a For Sale button that triggers a login for paying members to post items. Something other than the $500.00 limit that you have now.

Yes, I bring this up because I have bought some really good items for my collection from forum members that have posted here. All were over $500.00. This forum says it is to bring collectors together. I read this as a attempt to control everything. There are other things that need regulated much more that the for sale section such as the personal attacks on forum and non-forum members.

I respectfully ask this question to completely understand it.

Roger

Comment

• ChrisCavalier
                          Paid Users
                          • Jan 1970

Originally posted by mvandor
                          Alot of the recent unrest here seems to me to be based on some of us waking up to the fact that GUU has now shed its altruistic clothing to become a for-profit business...
                          Hello Michael,

I think you once stated you were a lawyer. If so, would you mind answering the following two questions:

1) Do you do any 'pro bono' or free work for others (I hope you do)?
                          2) Do you charge any of your clients a fee to represent them?

If you are not a lawyer, does the 'business' you referenced in your quote offer all its products or services free of charge or do you also charge a fee for what you offer? I will add a few additional thoughts but I'd like to hear your answer to these questions first.

Thank you in advance for your reply.
                          Christopher Cavalier
                          Consignment Director - Heritage Auctions

Comment

• otismalibu
                            • Nov 2005

Sweet Mother Of Abraham Zapruder! What a thread.

There's this new web site on this new fangled information super highway. They call it eBay. Stupid name if ya ask me, but it seems to get some traffic.

Anyway, you can sell stuff for a penny, $100, $500, $5000, or even a kazillion dollars. And as much as I like this site, I'm guessing a seller would get more exposure at that eBay place. How much do you think the Virgin Mary grilled cheese would fetch here? Nuff said.

So if I was a serious penny pincher, I'd sell my stuff for $500 and under on this site. And then for my big ticket items, I'd wait for one of those cheap listing days on eBay.

Most importantly, you need to have a ME page created on eBay. That's where you can tell everyone a little bit about yourself and post a Paypal Donate link. This way, complete strangers can give you money so you don't have to cover any selling expenses yourself. It's your God given right to sell anything you want and net 100% of the sale. That how it works for everyone else on the planet, so you shouldn'y be the only one getting burned with expenses. You'll have to create a 2nd eBay ID and a 2nd Paypal Donate link, to cover the costs of accepting Paypal with the first ID.

Good luck!
                            Greg
                            DrJStuff.com

Comment

• ham1963
                              • Apr 2006

Hey frikativ54,
                              It sounds to me that you need to do one or all of the following to change your attitude.
                              1. Go to a baseballgame and enjoy yourself.
                              2. Get a dog and complain to it (Seems to be the only thing that might listen to you if you have food for it).
                              3. Go to a Okland Raiders game and sit in the black hole section wearing a Steelers jersey ( You will make some new friends).
                              4. Get a new friend to show you that there are other things in life.
                              John

Comment

• cigarman44
                                • Aug 2007

Originally posted by otismalibu
                                Sweet Mother Of Abraham Zapruder! What a thread.

There's this new web site on this new fangled information super highway. They call it eBay. Stupid name if ya ask me, but it seems to get some traffic.

Anyway, you can sell stuff for a penny, $100, $500, $5000, or even a kazillion dollars. And as much as I like this site, I'm guessing a seller would get more exposure at that eBay place. How much do you think the Virgin Mary grilled cheese would fetch here? Nuff said.
                                My thoughts exactly! There is under 3000 members on this site. I have been a member for a year and have maybe seen a total of 150 of them post. It's the same people day in and day out. Id say atleast 2000 "members" have been inactive for over a year.

This place isn't going to being you top dollar for anything in the classified section. I don't see what the big deal is. I payed 150.00 in fees on ebay and paypal last couple months, but I can gaurantee I made that up in the prices I would have gotten for stuff on here fee free. Just deal with the 500.00 limit or sell somewhere else.

Comment

Working...