Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Alex Rangers jersey-Barry Meisel help!!

Forum Readers-

It is my understanding that MeiGrey was in control of the 2003 Rangers jerseys, and thus, had their inventory # in each one.

How can this be?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=8777240633

Barry-any insight here?

Thanks.
    Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Re: Alex Rangers jersey-Barry Meisel help!!

A previous reply from Barry regarding this matter:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    We signed our first agreement with the Rangers in December 2001, and began marketing Texas' game-worn jerseys, primarily from 1998-2001. We also had a small handful of jerseys from 1996 and 1997, but very few.

We sewed a Texas Rangers Collection tag into the jerseys after they were worn, as per our agreement with the Rangers. The team warranted that they sold us every jersey they had, but obviously there could have been others that left their possession before our deal with them.

What is certain is that EVERY jersey we marketed had a Texas Rangers Collection tag in the tail.

From 2002-current, the Rangers have warranted to us that they sewed an inventory tag into every game-worn jersey marketed through our deal. Our deal is exclusive through the game-worn industry, but there are other jerseys that we don't get (promotional jerseys, charitable contributions, jerseys given to team staff, etc). Those, however, also have inventory tags.

Does there exist a game-worn jersey that does not have a Texas Rangers inventory tag? It is possible, of course, but highly unlikely. For that to have happened, a player or some other staffer would have had to work a non-inventory tagged jersey into the locker room, worn it, and then removed it from the locker room.

According to the team, they tag every jersey that is prepared for use by, and eventually worn by, the team. They have done so since 2002.

Furthermore, I can attest based on the inventory we have received, that these jerseys were well-worn and photo-matched to multiple games.

Hope this helps,

Barry

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recall Barry also telling me that once the Rangers starting implementing their own inventory tag in 2002, MeiGray ceased sewing on their MeiGray tag. MeiGray sewed their tag on in the years prior to the Rangers implementing their own inventory system. That is, Texas Rangers jerseys should have either a MeiGray tag OR an inventory tag, but not both. Barry informed me that once the Rangers started sewing on their own inventory tag in 2002, MeiGray didn't see the purpose of also sewing on their own MeiGray tag. The numbered inventory tag is from the Rangers, not MeiGray. This Rodriguez jersey appears to have the inventory tag.
    Barry, if I'm incorrect in my recollection, let me know.

Rudy.

www.jerseydave.com

To me..the tag is sewn into the jersey in the proper place. Not sure how you would check each tag number to confirm use. One thing I do know is that Grey Flannel have received Meigray jerseys in the past and then re-sold the jerseys with Grey Flannel LOA's and never forwarded the Meigray paperwork. I have a Pudge jersey that I bought directly from Grey Flannel that had the older Meigray tag sewn into it.. When I asked the people at Grey Flannel about the Meigray paperwork... I was basically told that a Grey Flannel letter is just as good, if not better, so it would not come with the jersey. So the seller selling a jersey from Grey Flannel paperwork but it being a Meigray jersey is highly possible....

I originally consigned that jersey to Grey Flannel. I can say it is 100% legit, and did originally have Meigray paperwork. The paperwork was not forwarded to GFC by me, because I also never had it.
    I originally purchased it on ebay from a very reputable dealer, with intentions to consign it. The ebay dealer has well over 15,000 feedbacks. He forgot to send the Meigray letter to me, and the jersey got to me a few days before the consignment deadline. Because of this I was unable to send the jersey with the letter.

Howard,
    I will be happy to help on Monday, when I'm in front of our database. I'll check the Inventory number and provide whatever details I have on this jersey.

Regards,

Barry

Hi everybody,

Sorry for the late reply.

Unfortunately, the answer is what I suspected.

We sold this jersey on August 27, 2004 as a Game-Issued. It was clearly an unused, new jersey.

The collector who bought it from the party we sold it to and did not get the MGG paperwork would have seen, had he gotten the correct paperwork, that the letter issued for this jersey was a Game-Issued letter.

That is why we keep a database. That is why we tell collectors to check with us first. This jersey does have the proper Texas Rangers serial number, 03354 ... and we logged it when we acquired it as a game-issued jersey.

It does not surprise me when "lost" or "misplaced" or "forgotten" paperwork end up in the middle of situations when game-issued becomes game-worn. And if the parties involved are identified when they misrepresent these products, maybe the problems will decrease.

Regards,

Barry

Banned

So since it is now proven that this jersey is game issued and was misrepresented should we warn the buyer?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BarryMeisel
    Hi everybody,

Sorry for the late reply.

Unfortunately, the answer is what I suspected.

We sold this jersey on August 27, 2004 as a Game-Issued. It was clearly an unused, new jersey.

The collector who bought it from the party we sold it to and did not get the MGG paperwork would have seen, had he gotten the correct paperwork, that the letter issued for this jersey was a Game-Issued letter.

That is why we keep a database. That is why we tell collectors to check with us first. This jersey does have the proper Texas Rangers serial number, 03354 ... and we logged it when we acquired it as a game-issued jersey.

It does not surprise me when "lost" or "misplaced" or "forgotten" paperwork end up in the middle of situations when game-issued becomes game-worn. And if the parties involved are identified when they misrepresent these products, maybe the problems will decrease.

Regards,

Barry
    Barry-
    As I have always said, I can only hope that all of MLB would allow you to handle their jerseys. You have a great system, for the most part.

It just proves that your tagging system is the best, however, it now appears someone has figured out a way around selling your "game issued" jerseys as "game worn". What's interesting in this case, however, is that Grey Flannel wrote a LOA on the jersey, indicating it is a gamer. Is it just me, or do you find it sad that Grey Flannel would not have at least taken a minute to research the MeiGray tag in the tail, the same as I asked here and you provided insight? Likewise, were you ever contacted by the folks at Grey Flannel, seeking new paperwork on this jersey? Again, a big red flag should have gone up when they received this jersey, void of the MeiGray paperwork.

Your quote, "And if the parties involved are identified when they misrepresent these products, maybe the problems will decrease." is interesting. Care to tell us who purchased this jersey?

Thanks for the update.
    Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Banned

So since it is now proven that this jersey is game issued and was misrepresented should we warn the buyer?

Pretty sloppy from the boys at GF.

I once saw a nice 1988 Jays jersey on Ebay being sold as "game-worn". Of course, my first question to the seller was if it had the Jays COA. He replied that he acquired it from the Jays but didn't have the COA. The jersey, to my eye, didn't appear to have any wear or use so I didn't bid. Now I know why he didn't have the COA.

Barry, any thoughts to putting the database online so anyone (potential buyers, sellers, etc) can type in the inventory number and see the specs on the specific jersey?

Rudy.