Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Largest private Yankee Collection

I am curious to know who might have the largest privately owned collection of New York Yankee memorabilia?, primarily Jerseys, bats and helmets.

Thanks

Re: Largest private Yankee Collection

The Barry Halper estate

Quote Originally Posted by RJB44 View Post
    I am curious to know who might have the largest privately owned collection of New York Yankee memorabilia?, primarily Jerseys, bats and helmets.

Thanks
    You would have to do extensive research and read a lot of periodicals relating to collectibles, specifically Yankee gamers before coming up with any one quick answer as to who's is the largest. In short you could possibly narrow it down to several collections but you will never know for sure whose is the "largest." However, I have read of a doctor from NJ who has a game used jersey of every Yankee whose number has been retired. It is featured in a book about the HOF and some attractive collections. This individual's collection of jerseys range from Gehrig, Ruth, etc, right on up to Reggie. I'm sure there are others in that collection as well. Certainly you would agree that it's quite impressive. Hope this answer was informative for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny899 View Post
    You would have to do extensive research and read a lot of periodicals relating to collectibles, specifically Yankee gamers before coming up with any one quick answer as to who's is the largest. In short you could possibly narrow it down to several collections but you will never know for sure whose is the "largest." However, I have read of a doctor from NJ who has a game used jersey of every Yankee whose number has been retired. It is featured in a book about the HOF and some attractive collections. This individual's collection of jerseys range from Gehrig, Ruth, etc, right on up to Reggie. I'm sure there are others in that collection as well. Certainly you would agree that it's quite impressive. Hope this answer was informative for you.

Richard Angrist

Whats the name of the book, would be interested in looking at it.
    Also, did they mention anything about Cubs collections?

Quote Originally Posted by jboosted92 View Post
    Richard Angrist

Get the book Smithsonian Baseball. A must read on some great private collections with various collecting themes. i got a copy on ebay. It has inspired me as a collector.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGSTIG View Post
    Whats the name of the book, would be interested in looking at it.
    Also, did they mention anything about Cubs collections?

Smithsonian Baseball by Stephen Wong. I highly recommended this book. It features many pieces from the best collections in the world including Richard Angrist and Marshall Fogel (no relation to Andy).

Also if you can get your hands on the Sotherbys catalog volumes from the Halper collection you can see the good porttion of Halpers collection that was auctioned off back in 1999. Total proceeds from the Halper auction was almost 22 million dollars. I was able to view a portion of the Halper collection in person back in 1999 when Sotherbys had a public viewing prior to the auction. Incredibily the collection was not just Yankees items as Halper collected just more than Yankees.

David

Quote Originally Posted by metsbats View Post
    Smithsonian Baseball by Stephen Wong. I highly recommended this book. It features many pieces from the best collections in the world including Richard Angrist and Marshall Fogel (no relation to Andy).

Also if you can get your hands on the Sotherbys catalog volumes from the Halper collection you can see the good porttion of Halpers collection that was auctioned off back in 1999. Total proceeds from the Halper auction was almost 22 million dollars. I was able to view a portion of the Halper collection in person back in 1999 when Sotherbys had a public viewing prior to the auction. Incredibily the collection was not just Yankees items as Halper collected just more than Yankees.

David
    David,

Great selection. How can a man have so much foresight. Barry Halper is a legend.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by metsbats View Post
    the photography was great in the book. there was a professional phtographer with steve wong who took some great photos of the items in the collection. lots of photoshop. one thing i wished was that they had shown the displays of these collectors. i would hate to think that all these items are stored in a closet. i have seen todd mcfarlanes display of his homerun baseball collection tho. anyone else here have photos of these collections as they are displayed?
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com

Does anyone know how Marshall Fogel got his collection. Is he super rich, because i was looking through the Mears website and theirs alot of bats that say from the Marshall Fogel Collection.