X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trsent
    Banned
    • Nov 2005

Re: OT: Blue Angels Are Amazing

I just received a fun email from sports memorabilia and autograph hound legend Dave Miedema that I just had to repost:

Joel:

I am more of a Cubs fan, but I admit, without hesitation, that visits to the Cell are far more enjoyable. At the Cell, you can go down by the wall to get autographs, schmooze with players and media (Wednesday produced a nice conversation with an old pa, Bruce Levine, as well as a memorabilia trade with Mark Salas and a quick greeting from Jim Riggleman.) At Wrigley, the presence of the high-priced three rows of seats between the bullpens make it, by team policy, so that no one not sitting in those three rows can approach the wall. The ushers, nearly all seniors and many of whom are cranky, often scream at fans when talking to them would suffice. The place is no longer the Friendly Confines...it's turned into Guatanamo Bay North.

The Cubs marketing plan seems to be two-pronged...cater to the wealthy, and promote the singles bar/frat house that is the Budweiser Bleachers. Families that come and are dismayed by all the restrictions and rules...too bad. The Cubs know that, with their immense fan base, if mom, dad, and the 2 kids leave Wrigley with no plans to ever return, there's a dozen more out there who will sell their grandparents for decent tickets. Those families who are given "who cares?" treatment at Wrigley are finding a better experience with the Sox, who seem to welcome kids and families.
    I skipped the Cubs-Reds series to hit 2 of the 3 Sox-Mariners games...and I'm glad I did. The Cubs may get more of my fan love, but the Sox will get more of my fan money.

Dave M.

Comment

Working...