Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jdr3
    • Nov 2005

GFC Lot 159

Can anyone explain why a fake Ewing autograph would be on a "game used Patrick Ewing Georgetown jersey"?
  • lund6771
    • Dec 2006

Re: GFC Lot 159

I was wondering the same thing!

Ewing was one of my favorite players growing up and was thinking about bidding on this till I read that as well

It may be a good jersey, but I'm not even gonna mess with it if it has a bad autograph...

Comment

• kingjammy24
      • Nov 2005

hiya jim

i'll venture a guess. whoever put the autograph on thought it would boost the value. maybe they figured that if the jersey was worth X amount then they'd make it worth even more with the signature. greed. stupidity.

personally i think a forged autograph slaughters the value of a legit game-used piece unless someone can skillfully remove the autograph.

rudy.

Comment

• jdr3
        • Nov 2005

Hey Rudy-

Great to hear from you! You have the best eye on this forum. Note how the W in Grey Flannel's Ewing is the same height as the right and left portions of the letter. Now note the photos from 1983 & 1984, when GU used this style, and notice that the middle part of the W does not reach that high.
        Attached Files

Comment

• hblakewolf
          Banned
          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by jdr3
          Hey Rudy-

Great to hear from you! You have the best eye on this forum. Note how the W in Grey Flannel's Ewing is the same height as the right and left portions of the letter. Now note the photos from 1983 & 1984, when GU used this style, and notice that the middle part of the W does not reach that high.
          Also note the actual positioning of the individual letters on the plate. The Grey Flannel plate has a significantly tighter name (less space between each letter) and the actual air space on all sides of the name plate is less on the Grey Flannel example as compared to those in the photos.

It's crucial, however, to compare photos and evidence from the 1983 season, based on the shirt being attributed to that season.

I'd enjoy having Rudy or any other Forum reader provide additional photos that may provide additional evidence as to the legitimacy of the shirt in question.

Howard Wolf
          hblakewolf@comcast.net

Comment

• lund6771
            • Dec 2006

can anyone find one pic to match the Grey Flannel jersey?....Just one?

anyone?...anywhere?...or is this another P.O.S

Comment

• lund6771
              • Dec 2006

by the way JDR3 ..great pics

Comment

• otismalibu
                • Nov 2005

The Es are different as well.

Are those twill letters on both?
                Greg
                DrJStuff.com

Comment

• otismalibu
                  • Nov 2005

Greg
                  DrJStuff.com

Comment

• lund6771
                    • Dec 2006

I wonder if they will pull this thing....any thoughts?...

Comment

• otismalibu
                      • Nov 2005

I wonder if they will pull this thing....any thoughts?...
                      I don't think it has ever been Grey Flannel's policy to present visual evidence to support their opinion of an item.
                      Greg
                      DrJStuff.com

Comment

• jdr3
                        • Nov 2005

Here is the same comparison of the front of the jersey. Can anyone see any differences between the GFC model and the actual game model?
                        Attached Files

Comment

• otismalibu
                          • Nov 2005

Here is the same comparison of the front of the jersey. Can anyone see any differences between the GFC model and the actual game model?
                          You mean other than the numbers?

Greg
                          DrJStuff.com

Comment

• trsent
                            Banned
                            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by otismalibu
                            I don't think it has ever been Grey Flannel's policy to present visual evidence to support their opinion of an item.
                            Is this a policy listed on their web site or in their catalogs? Inquiring minds wish to know.

Comment

• otismalibu
                              • Nov 2005

Is this a policy listed on their web site or in their catalogs? Inquiring minds wish to know.
                              I'm basing that assumption on the fact that they've never sent me photographic evidence when I've pointed out characteristics on their items that seem a little out of the ordinary.
                              When I did receive their catalogs, I don't recall seeing any style match photos from game action.
                              Same with their online auction. I don't recall seeing game photos presented with the photos of the item.
                              And there have been a few items presented on this site that have never received any responses, directly or indirectly.

As a service to their customers, they should really make sure that faceless Noels like myself aren't purposely trying to drive down the value of one of their auctions, in order to acquire the piece themselves. Could happen.

And I believe your written policy was that you weren't going to post on this site anymore, but looky who showed up again. So one may want to assess another's 'policies' based on their actions (or lack thereof) rather than what is or isn't written.
                              Greg
                              DrJStuff.com

Comment

Working...