Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bat Repair

Re: Bat Repair

Quote Originally Posted by godwulf View Post
    I use those same clamps; I get them at Home Depot, and they also come in red and orange, and in several different sizes - some big enough to put around the end of a split barrel end. With a really extensive crack, or series of cracks, I've used as many as seven or eight at a time. They're great for any number of reasons; for one thing, because of the way they're designed, you can reach in carefully with a slightly damp rag and wipe excess glue off after you've put the clamp in place.

Don't tell anyone, but I've also been known to superglue down a loose piece of handle tape.
    Sure, sure - nothing wrong with that (IMO)...

The other thing that's cool about the clamps is that they already have rubber pads to prevent leaving clamp marks. I have repaired barrels split in two as well - and have had positive results.
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by bigtruck260 View Post
    The other thing that's cool about the clamps is that they already have rubber pads to prevent leaving clamp marks. I have repaired barrels split in two as well - and have had positive results.
    It's really amazing how much pressure you can apply with those clamps and still have the pads protect the bat from any marks!

I use isopropyl alcohol on a cotton ball to clean off any pine tar or other schmutz from the pads after I take the clamps off, which works really well and dries almost instantly.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtruck260 View Post
    ...and looking again at the repairs, it appears that they might use Fred Lowman:

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip...batrepair.html

Not sure though.
    Ok, well I gotta admit something here guys. I posted my comment and links because it is my Dad who does the reparis. Not really trying to advertise here. But he recently switched professions from being a furniture refinisher of museum quality antiques to reparing bats full time, and I'm really proud of him. I'm gonna leave my Dads name out of this completely because he likes the way it is, dealing with JT only, all the bats go through him. I can understand if you want the "Mods" to delete the post. My father doesn't even know I did this. But I did want to reply and let you know that it wasn't Fred Lowman.

Also I can fully understand not wanting a bat completely repaired. To me it kinda loses its apeal of a bat that was broken while ripping a ball! But the bats he repairs are of a different caliber with very famous names on them, some of them are worth more than his house. Most of them are commisioned by auction houses actually.

I also want to say that it looks like you guys are doing a great job on your own repairs. I like all the different ways you use to clamp the broken pcs. I don't know if you want to try it but he uses surgical tubbing to clamp sometimes like splintered pcs. He can really wrap the hell out of it with the tubbing because it stretches so much. Keep up the good work, again I wasn't trying to advertize, just simply posting hoping you'd get a kick out of!

Take care, and good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew16v View Post
    Ok, well I gotta admit something here guys. I posted my comment and links because it is my Dad who does the reparis. Not really trying to advertise here. But he recently switched professions from being a furniture refinisher of museum quality antiques to reparing bats full time, and I'm really proud of him. I'm gonna leave my Dads name out of this completely because he likes the way it is, dealing with JT only, all the bats go through him. I can understand if you want the "Mods" to delete the post. My father doesn't even know I did this. But I did want to reply and let you know that it wasn't Fred Lowman.

Also I can fully understand not wanting a bat completely repaired. To me it kinda loses its apeal of a bat that was broken while ripping a ball! But the bats he repairs are of a different caliber with very famous names on them, some of them are worth more than his house. Most of them are commisioned by auction houses actually.

I also want to say that it looks like you guys are doing a great job on your own repairs. I like all the different ways you use to clamp the broken pcs. I don't know if you want to try it but he uses surgical tubbing to clamp sometimes like splintered pcs. He can really wrap the hell out of it with the tubbing because it stretches so much. Keep up the good work, again I wasn't trying to advertize, just simply posting hoping you'd get a kick out of!

Take care, and good luck!
    Your posting does not upset me in the least - I am glad that there are people like your dad out there. If it was my Dad, I would want to clear the air about his work - considering a guesser like me assumed it was someone else. Way to be a good son. Maybe we will cross paths someday.

Thanks.
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bat Repair Experts needed

I have been reading some old posts about repairing bats. I have a couple bats that are in two pieces. I am looking to attach the handle to the barrel to display them and make them one piece. I really don't care about hiding the crack. They aren't overly expensive bats, so I wanted to give it a try.

In another post I read that someone used Gorilla Glue, I am assuming the wood version.

One bat also has a missing piece. I was wondering if the glue expands and globs and if it would ooze to the area with the missing piece and look unsightly. Did you notice this with the wood gorilla glue if you used it?

Any other ideas, photos, recommendations for glue?

Thanks
    Tom
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    TFig27 - NY Yankees Collector
    A. Boone - R. Cano - N. Swisher - T. Martinez - P. O'Neill - E. Hinske
    J. Damon - R. Brogna - D. Bragg - W. Upshaw - K. Farnsworth

Re: Bat Repair Experts needed

Tom,

As a carpenter (among other things), I would recommend titebond wood glue. It's strong, and sets up fast. Use a set or two of clamps, and wipe any excess off after you first clamp the bat. It won't continue to ooze out of any cracks after that like gorilla glue will. If there is a missing piece, you could put some glue into the void, and put some sawdust in. Just wipe it smooth, and at least it will hide the missing piece if thats what your looking to do. Other than that, titebond will dry with a yellowish color in the void. I believe gorilla glue doesn't dry clear either. Good luck.

Mark

I use Krazy Glue Gel and it works fine for me. Gorilla seems to take for ever to harden, it noticeable in cracks and it expands all over everything. I imagine using Gorilla, once mastered, would provide a better long-term hold although Krazy has not failed me yet.

Just my 2 cents......

Davis

Mark and Davis,

Thank you guys very much for the replies and the info, I do appreciate it.

Would either of you happen to have any pics of the cracks you repaired?

Thanks
    Tom
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    TFig27 - NY Yankees Collector
    A. Boone - R. Cano - N. Swisher - T. Martinez - P. O'Neill - E. Hinske
    J. Damon - R. Brogna - D. Bragg - W. Upshaw - K. Farnsworth

Tom,

I can't get to the pics now, but I will email you a couple tomorrow evening. I still have your email address.

Mark

I know a guy that does great work if you wanted someone else to do it. He has repaired a lot of my bats and he does GREAT work. Email me if you want his information.
    Rboitano@charter.net