X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flamechicken
    • Jul 2010

Re: Jersey Display Cases

Originally posted by esquiresports
    It's the thinner of the two choices. I believe 0.09". It costs $50 for a 6 foot sheet. The thicker plexi would probably tear through anything that isn't solid wood. Really heavy. I would avoid it.
    Thanks

Comment

• alexbartacustoms
      • Oct 2005

Hi everyone-

I love this forum and I think the cases and locker some of you guys have made are amazing!

I wanted a quick, easy and inexpensive way of displaying my game-used jerseys.

Here’s what I came up with for under $30.

Old display rack from a store. I got it for free since they were going to throw it away, but you should be able to find one on craigslist for around $10.

1” PVC pipe – 10 feet for $4
      1” PVC 4-way - $2.99

Kids Shoulder Pads I asked a local high school for old shoulder pads that failed to pass reconditioning. They are useless to the team, but still work for display. The smaller pads also ensure the game-jersey does not stretch our or warp due to the pads. They were free, but I made a donation to the team of $10 per pair to the school’s football program.

I cut 2 9-inch pieces off of the PVC pipe, and put them into the PVC 4-way. They stay put well enough that I didn’t need to use PVC cement. The 4-way pops right onto the display base.

I cris-crossed the shoulder pad straps and held them in place with a binder clip. This allows you to keep the pads from slumping forward or backwards.

I threw a t-shirt over the pads to keep the gamers from contacting the shoulder pads, and tied the shirt with a rubber band.

Add your favorite game-used jersey, and you have a nice looking display.

Thanks again for all of your great ideas and input,
      Alex
      Attached Files

Comment

• joelsabi
        • Aug 2005

Originally posted by alexbartacustoms
        Hi everyone-

I love this forum and I think the cases and locker some of you guys have made are amazing!

I wanted a quick, easy and inexpensive way of displaying my game-used jerseys.

Here’s what I came up with for under $30.

Old display rack from a store. I got it for free since they were going to throw it away, but you should be able to find one on craigslist for around $10.

1” PVC pipe – 10 feet for $4
        1” PVC 4-way - $2.99

Kids Shoulder Pads I asked a local high school for old shoulder pads that failed to pass reconditioning. They are useless to the team, but still work for display. The smaller pads also ensure the game-jersey does not stretch our or warp due to the pads. They were free, but I made a donation to the team of $10 per pair to the school’s football program.

I cut 2 9-inch pieces off of the PVC pipe, and put them into the PVC 4-way. They stay put well enough that I didn’t need to use PVC cement. The 4-way pops right onto the display base.

I cris-crossed the shoulder pad straps and held them in place with a binder clip. This allows you to keep the pads from slumping forward or backwards.

I threw a t-shirt over the pads to keep the gamers from contacting the shoulder pads, and tied the shirt with a rubber band.

Add your favorite game-used jersey, and you have a nice looking display.

Thanks again for all of your great ideas and input,
        Alex
        great post. you idea is macgyveresque
        Regards,
        Joel S.
        joelsabi @ gmail.com
        Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• Nnunnari
          Banned
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by esquiresports
          Joel, I went with plexiglass, and had it cut into two pieces at Lowes. Just make sure you give them exact measurements. I have cut plexi myself, and it is a pain. I thought one piece might be too heavy. You can even notice, because they meet at one of the shelves (the permanent one).

I used some brackets on the left side, which you can see in the photo, and a few pieces of black velcro on the right side. Works like a charm. You have to pre-drill the holes for the bracket screws, and you need to cut the nubs off the screws off from inside the plexiglass, because they stick out. I used a hand nail cutter. $10 or so from Home Depot.

Lastly, I added a remote control LED light picked up from Amazon.com. It gives the display a much more professional look with the light on, I believe.

Scott

Hey Scott, shoot me an email when you have a chance: nunnari19@yahoo.com

thanks,
          Nick

Comment

Working...