X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justncase
    • Aug 2008

Re: Jersey Display Cases

Originally posted by kylehess10
    $700????? I'm sure we all here could get another nice piece to our collections for that amount. I'm sure there's a way we could build one of those cases for a fraction of the cost. Doesn't seem like too much costs in supplies would be needed; which is why I always BUILD my cases and holders
    The profile cases look simple and were designed that way to not interfere with the jersey display. However they are more involved in the building of one than it appears. The approx. material cost per case is $180.00 plus a fair amount of time. Question to all.....How important are locks on a case to anyone out there?

Comment

• thomecollector
      • May 2006

Originally posted by justncase
      The profile cases look simple and were designed that way to not interfere with the jersey display. However they are more involved in the building of one than it appears. The approx. material cost per case is $180.00 plus a fair amount of time. Question to all.....How important are locks on a case to anyone out there?
      Ok, So how can you justify $520 in labor? I think if you want to sell to collector of this type you nead to be more flexible. You may actually sell some to the everyday collector. Would you rather sell one @ $700, or twenty @$350 ?? Quantity is the key. Everyone wins. Especially in this economy.
      Roger Ward- Thomecollector
      thomecollector@verizon.net

Comment

• justncase
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by thomecollector
        Ok, So how can you justify $520 in labor? I think if you want to sell to collector of this type you nead to be more flexible. You may actually sell some to the everyday collector. Would you rather sell one @ $700, or twenty @$350 ?? Quantity is the key. Everyone wins. Especially in this economy.
        When I posted this display case I just wanted everybodys oppion on how it looked. Wasn't trying to sell it to you. But you asked for info. Hopefully in the future we can get our cost down and make it more affordable to all. I appreciate your comments and enjoy all the forums.

Comment

• harpt
          • May 2007

Originally posted by BIGSTIG
          Look = AWESOME
          I agree...this does look awesome
          Scott Harpt
          scott_harpt at yahoo dot com
          Always seeking Cecil Cooper, Ben Oglivie, and Gorman Thomas

Comment

• cigarman44
            • Aug 2007

Hey Bigstig,

Where do you get the plexiglass?

Thanks!

Joe

Comment

• BIGSTIG
              • Apr 2008

Joe -

Plexiglass was bought at Home Depot. You can purchase a single sheet which measures 36 X 48 for $23.00 and cut it down (which I did to see how it would work) but then I ordered a 5 pack and that comes 32 X 40 for $79.97 (so $15.00 each) which you still have to cut off 2 inches, but alot cheaper and less waste. Hope that helps

BIGSTIG

Comment

• metsbats
                • Nov 2005

Joe -

Plexiglass was bought at Home Depot. You can purchase a single sheet which measures 36 X 48 for $23.00 and cut it down (which I did to see how it would work) but then I ordered a 5 pack and that comes 32 X 40 for $79.97 (so $15.00 each) which you still have to cut off 2 inches, but alot cheaper and less waste. Hope that helps

BIGSTIG

BIGSTIG,

Great displays! THanks for sharing.

What do you use to cut plexiglass?

Thanks
                David
                metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• BIGSTIG
                  • Apr 2008

David,

To cut the plexiglass (the thickness I am using .093 or comonly measured .100) you can use a utility knife (razorblade) you measure. mark. make a straight line and then score the line. (keep cutting over the line appx 6-8 times. When you have gotten deep enough you can snap over a straight edge such as a 2x4. It's simple. Believe me.

Comment

• metsbats
                    • Nov 2005

David,

To cut the plexiglass (the thickness I am using .093 or comonly measured .100) you can use a utility knife (razorblade) you measure. mark. make a straight line and then score the line. (keep cutting over the line appx 6-8 times. When you have gotten deep enough you can snap over a straight edge such as a 2x4. It's simple. Believe me.

BIGSTIG,

Thanks for the info. Your displays have inspired me to try setting up one!

-David
                    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• costas
                      • Aug 2008

nice! how thick is the plexiglass and does it have any UV resistant properties?

also, for jerseys is it necessary to keep them in acid free environments?

Comment

• BIGSTIG
                        • Apr 2008

metsbats-

GREAT, I am glad you like them. It is very easy to put together. The first one might take you about 1 hour or so, but if you end up doing 8 like I have, you get much faster!! This coming weekend I am going to do a number 9 for a Cubs flannel jersey I just bought, and if anyone can find me a SUTCLIFFE cubs jersey I would be able to make it an even 10!! Just had to throw it out there

costas-

The thickness of the plexiglass I chose to use is .093 also commonly called .100 (they round up)

Comment

• BIGSTIG
                          • Apr 2008

costas -

sorry, but no UV resistant properties.
                          I have no idea about keeping jerseys in acid free environments.

Comment

• skyking26
                            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by justncase
                            I think locks are an important issue. If I can talk my wife into letting me have jerseys displayed OUTSIDE of my sports room, they will have to have locks to keep kids out, etc.

justncase, regarding prices, I appreciate the heads up on costs. I doubt though, seriously, that anyone will use such a pricey case here. Way outta my league...
                            ROBERT KOPPEL
                            Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
                            and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Comment

• Swoboda4
                              • Nov 2005

The south west corner of the family room is almost complete. All jersey cases homemade (Michael's craft store and of course Home Depot):

Comment

• HENMICK44
                                • Mar 2008

THANKS TFIG FOR THE MANNEQUIN TORSOS(MY WAX MUSEUM).JUST ORDERED TWO MORE.DON'T KNOW HOW I'M GOING TO DISPLAY THE MIENTKIEWICZ TBTC JERSEY AND PANTS YET. ANY IDEAS?
                                ALWAYS LOOKING FOR DOUG MIENTKIEWICZ AND PAUL ONEILL JERSEYS,BATS,HELMETS OR ODDBALL ITEMS. HENMICK44@OPTONLINE.NET

Comment

Working...