X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cigarman44
    • Aug 2007

Re: Jersey Display Cases

Can't compare to Harpt but...

Here's what you can do in about 5 hours of free time (and materials) working at a door shop. I was going to try and replicte an actual Cardinals locker (thanks for the pics Jeff and Dave!) but then decided to go on my own. Only thing I had to buy was about 12 bucks in paint.

I'm going to plexiglass the bottom section under the hats in a few days.
    Attached Files

Comment

• HENMICK44
      • Mar 2008

I Know We Have Had Our Past But That Looks Awsome Cigarman44.how Did You Do It And What Materials Would I Need Other Then The Paint? I Have A Mcgwire Signed Batting Glove That Would Go Great With That If Interested.great Job.

Comment

• cigarman44
        • Aug 2007

Sorry Henmick I was in a sh*tty mood the other day. I apologize...

For the sides I used two 2 foot hollow door slabs. The back, top and bottom all came from scrap particle board (you can see the texture on the back wall even with the paint but it was free) I used scrap trim pieces as runners for the shelves which are made out of 1/2 solid pine boards. For the hanger pole I cut pine boards into cute little home plates and glued them to each size. Notched both of them out and sanded down an unused broom handle for the jersey rod. Then just used one of my old bat racks and screwed it to the back wall. Used some old trim to cover all the rough edges, carpet stapled to the floor and I was done.

What you could do is go to Lowe's or HD and use 1/2 inch high grade paintable plywood for all the sides, top and bottom. Mine is 6' 8" high and 2' deep. It was pain to get down my narrow hall and into the room. I only made it those dimensions because the door slabs where that size. I would suggest a size of 18 inches deep by 6 foot or so high. Still would leave plenty of room for everyting. Id say it could be done pretty cheap.

2 full sheets of high grade plywood
        4 full sticks of pine trim
        pine boards for shelves and rod support
        wood rod for jerseys
        paint

Comment

• cigarman44
          • Aug 2007

Oh...

Mine is also 30 inches across. If you were going with the other diminsions (6 foot high by 18 inches deep) 26-28 inches across would work great. The door to my room is 32 inches so I had to take it off to get it in. 28 inches would have been perfect.

Comment

• HENMICK44
            • Mar 2008

Thanks Cigarman44 I'm Going To Give It A Try.sorry Bout The Other Day, I Was Also In A Mood. Looks Great Though.good Luck.

Comment

• harpt
              • May 2007

Originally posted by cigarman44
              Can't compare to Harpt but...
              This is easily as good as mine. I think the reason mine seems "impressive" (or whatever) is because there are several in a row. Yours actually looks a lot more like a locker. Very very cool.
              Scott Harpt
              scott_harpt at yahoo dot com
              Always seeking Cecil Cooper, Ben Oglivie, and Gorman Thomas

Comment

• Frink
                • Jun 2007

Inspired by some of you, I'm going to try my hand at making display cases for my jerseys. I've done some looking, and for those of you who have questioned a UV-protected and acid-free environment, I have a suggestion (which I'm going to be following): line the inner sides of the case with acid-free foamboard, and Krylon makes a clear, UV-resistant spray that can be applied to acrylic.

I'll have to post back how things go.

Comment

• chicagoglen
                  • Aug 2006

Just thought I would say I think this thread is fantastic. I love seeing everyone try to help each other out.

Although I have not made a jersey case yet I have made a bat case for my 2005 White Sox set. I plan on making some like the one below but can I offer one suggestion? I think this example is a great idea. The picture frame was brilliant.

Instead of drilling through the face of the frame to mount it to the "Box". Why not screw a piano hinge on the back of one side so you can swing open the frame as a door? See a example picture below. You can pick these up at any hardware bog box store.

The just add a cabinet door clasp to keep it closed. These are cheap and you can have magnetic if you want.

Just my two cents.

PS.

Here is the case I built for my bats in case you have not seen it.

Thanks,

Glen

Comment

• skyking26
                    • Dec 2005

Stunning room Chicagoglen!
                    ROBERT KOPPEL
                    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
                    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Comment

• Swoboda4
                      • Nov 2005

Glen,
                      Very Nice bat case with perfect color background material. What is the material directly behind the bats? How did you support the case on the wall? How thick is the backing to the bat case? I made one out of oak it was very heavy.
                      Robert

Comment

• chicagoglen
                        • Aug 2006

What is the material directly behind the bats? How did you support the case on the wall? How thick is the backing to the bat case?
                        The material behind the bats is felt. I believe it was $3.00 a yard at the local Joanne Fabrics. (Yes, I felt weird going in there) They had like 8 or 10 colars in this price range but I felt the dark grey was the best for me.

(My next case I will use probably pleather or some type of swade. Make some padded inserts and staple or glue them in from the back) I think this wil look even better.

You last two questions are in this answer. I used 3/4 inch plywood for the back panel (Acutually the whole case). I then covered the plywood case on the outside with (4) Quarter Sawn Oak Panels for a more finished look. This way I could just screw the case directly into the studs with three inch screws. The case is very heavy but the 6 screws hold it very easily. To hide all of this I added the felt after the case was mounted with a spray addhesive. This way you can not see how the case is secured to the wall.

Hope this helps.

Glen

Comment

• skyking26
                          • Dec 2005

Don't feel bad about apprehension to walking in Joann Fabrics. I was there weeks ago along with Mary Maxim's and boughts some nice crushed green velor and other fabrics. Gotta do what you gotta do. I can't say I felt a fish in water, but wife assisted....ok, did it for me as she is sitting right behind me now....
                          ROBERT KOPPEL
                          Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
                          and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Comment

• cjw
                            • Oct 2006

Great displays...thanks for the idea, pics and ifno!

I wanted to share this site with everyone as it has proven to give me great options to display my items. Mannequins, acrylic display cases and extendable t-shirt racks..

This case (middle picture) is a bit small for a full sized jersey but works well (and a fair price) for smaller items.

Not sure if they have other Canadian or US locations, but if thye don't ship, let me know and I will try and assit any members. chris
                            Attached Files
                            WANTED -1977 Toronto Blue Jays game jersey

chris@pacmedia.ca

Comment

• Falcon
                              • Jan 2008

Man, these cases look great! Thanks for starting this subject!

Here's a pic how I display my Hawaii stuff. It's an old converted shelf that I painted and moved the shelves around. There's glass doors on it and also glass covers for the helmets on top but I took them off to remove the glare. And yes...I live in Hawaii and am a big Colt Brennan fan! (Before anyone from Georgia mentions the Sugar Bowl, I'm still trying to forget that game!)
                              Attached Files

Comment

• 5coltbrennanfan15
                                • Sep 2008

Falcon that is a sweet colt brennan collection. Is that a game used Colt jersey i see there the white Hawaii one? May i ask is there alot of Colt stuff in Hawaii cause i am a fuge fan also and live in the midwest and is hard to get his stuff here. I am so jealous.

Comment

Working...