Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

New York Jets Rawlings Jerseys

If any Jets fans gets a chance, check out the 1967 New York Jets jersey being offered by Hunt Auctions. The jersey comes with a MEARS A8 LOA. But, how can that be? I thought Rawlings didn't make the jerseys for the Jets during this period? Interesting.

http://www.huntauctions.com/phone/im...54&lot_num=156

Jim

Re: New York Jets Rawlings Jerseys

Quote Originally Posted by cohibasmoker View Post
    If any Jets fans gets a chance, check out the 1967 New York Jets jersey being offered by Hunt Auctions. The jersey comes with a MEARS A8 LOA. But, how can that be? I thought Rawlings didn't make the jerseys for the Jets during this period? Interesting.

http://www.huntauctions.com/phone/im...54&lot_num=156

Jim
    Interesting that an auction house would offer a supposed game worn Jets jersey that is in no way consistent with Jets gamers of the era? Yeah, you rarely if ever see auction houses do that type of thing

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by nyjetsfan14 View Post
    Interesting that an auction house would offer a supposed game worn Jets jersey that is in no way consistent with Jets gamers of the era? Yeah, you rarely if ever see auction houses do that type of thing
    It's not just Hunt's - the jersey comes with a MEARS LOA - maybe the jersey is consistent?

Jim

Original thread asking about this jersey:http://www.network54.com/Forum/37997...s+Jets+Jersey-

I sold this jersey about three years ago...I do not remember the buyer. KingJammy- how about some imagery analysis?
    Hunt Auction:

Quote Originally Posted by cohibasmoker View Post
    It's not just Hunt's - the jersey comes with a MEARS LOA - maybe the jersey is consistent?

Jim
    Absolutely, maybe it is consistent when you are desparately trying to pimp a similar jersey all around for mega profit. In your case it is quite obvious you are only going to hear what you want to hear - in this case your coveted MEARS LOA. I regret all the time and effort I spent politely on your behalf and then when the results weren't want you needed you copped an attitude. Do me a favor and please do not contact me anymore regarding Jets items. Any further questions should be directed to the MEARS authentication team

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by nyjetsfan14 View Post
    Absolutely, maybe it is consistent when you are desparately trying to pimp a similar jersey all around for mega profit. In your case it is quite obvious you are only going to hear what you want to hear - in this case your coveted MEARS LOA. I regret all the time and effort I spent politely on your behalf and then when the results weren't want you needed you copped an attitude. Do me a favor and please do not contact me anymore regarding Jets items. Any further questions should be directed to the MEARS authentication team
    Very professional comments. Yes, I do have a Jets jersey that was worn by John Huarte. I got the jersey and a letter from the gentleman who stated that the jersey was obtained directly from a gentleman who currently works for the Jets. My jersey along with other durene jerseys were found in the NY Jets training facility in a large hamper in the mid-1980's. Some of the jerseys had NOB that were stripped while others were completely intact.

I have four questions for you:

-One: In all the research that you have done on 1960's Jets jerseys, can you say that you assumptions are 100% correct that Rawlings NEVER made the jerseys for the Jets in the mid 1960's?

-Two: In your research, have there been any inconsistencies or wild cards in their jersey design and/or manufacturers who supplied the jerseys for the Jets?

-Three: How do you explain the jerseys that Brad Moore, MEARS, BTPH, and my Huarte - which came directly from the Jets training room lockerroom?

-Four: Were the buyers who have purchased Rawlings manufactured Jets jerseys both on eBay and Hunt's auction in the 1000.00 range ripped off?

PS Try to keep it professional and if you can, stay away from the "pimp" references - it's not nice or professional. As for the copped attitute, You have my permission to post any email that I wrote you that shows that I had a "copped" attitude. To be fair and balanced, my only request is that you post the entire email - including your comments.

I am trying to point out that I think the shirt that I sold is the SAME one as the one sold by Hunt's. In my opinion, the "HOWLAND" nameplate was removed AFTER it left the BTPH facility, here in Los Angeles.
    Please review the archived thread link from the original GUF.

*BTPH facility is code for a "duffle bag in my closet".

Banned

From the MEARS web site, Troy Kinunen responds:

1967 Jets Jersey in Hunts current auction

October 1 2008 at 9:50 PM Troy R. Kinunen (Login troykinunen2008)

I have been asked via email regarding the LOO MEARS issued in support of 1967 Mike Taliaferro game-worn New York Jets road jersey which appears in the current Hunt’s Internet auction. The topic has been discussed on the Game Used Forum, http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=18550

Some folks on the GUF have a different opinion of the evaluation offered by MEARS. Discussions and critique of the MEARS evaluation process is actually encourage by MEARS as long as it is done in a professional and honest manner.

The entire MEARS evaluation system was developed to offer the hobby complete transparency which allows collectors to see what MEARS said about and item and why. This feature is supported by our voluntary offering of all LOO’s online to MEARS members.

By supplying the LOO’s online, this allows all interested members the ability to see what we said about an item. If we are correct, this information can be used by other collectors to evaluate their own items. If we are in error, the collecting public can dispute our findings and we can make any necessary amendments. By archiving our findings, this creates the basis for which future evaluations can be predicated on.

MEARS does use previously completed LOO’s as one of the tools used for the evaluation process. This is also used in addition to the 74,000 images currently digitally archived in the MEARS database. With all of this information, a collector might rightfully ask why would MEARS offer an opinion on a Rawlings supplied Jets jersey?

Fair question. I will use the question of did Rawlings supply the Jets with jerseys to support the opinion we offered. Upon public review, we may be found to be correct, or evidence may indicate we need to revise our letter. This is a practice that we always encourage, especially when new information is brought to our attention. This may or not be the case of this question Jets jersey. I want to use this Jets jersey as an example to explain the thought process that went into our evaluation and how we reached our conclusion.

Our task was to evaluate whether or not Rawlings supplied the New York Jets with game worn jerseys?

To begin our evaluation, MEARS referenced the followings sources:

MEARS LOO database: 0 1960s Jets game worn jerseys examined

MEARS jersey archives: 2 Joe Namath game worn jerseys, non Rawlings

Google search: AMI sold 3 1960s game worn Jets jerseys. None were Rawlings.

Actual examples examined were:

1960s Pete Perreault Jets Durene Jersey (Sandknit) (w/Family Letter http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=39485

1969 Don Maynard Jets Durene Jersey (Champion) http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=40204

1960s Jets MacGregor MEARS database

With all of our current data, we could only find 5 game used Jets jerseys which were offered publicly for sale. The MEARS jersey archives show a high percentage of game worn jerseys which were offered through major auctions. There were zero examples of common players, and the only player referenced was Joe Namath. This means that to our knowledge, there have only been 6 or so game worn Jets jerseys to be offered publicly.

With such a small sampling, we did not feel that manufacture alone would indicate whether this jersey was game worn or not.

As in the case of the Chicago Bears, it was long thought that only King O Shea was the supplier of the team’s jerseys in the 1960s. As the hobby developed, documented Wilson examples entered the market, thus verifying two suppliers. By searching the MEARS LOO database, we were able to conduct trend analysis regarding manufacture. MEARS did examine one 1960s AFL Rawlings supplied jersey.

Regarding Rawlings jersey being issued to be used in the NFL during the 1960s, MEARS examined a 1967-70 Jim Tyrer Chiefs Road jersey MEARS A8 supplied by Rawlings.

Therefore, we had confirmation that Rawlings did supply AFL teams during the 1960s with jerseys. We did not feel it was too much of a stretch to conclude the Jets wore Rawlings jerseys, especially when there were only 5 or so additional jerseys available for comparison, as in the case of the Bears the team was supplied by several vendors, and Rawlings was a documented AFL jersey supplier.

With respects to the Rawlings tag, it verified as being the correct style, 1962-73 (MEARS tagging database, courtesy of Dave Grob), as being the proper tag expected to be found on a circa 1967-69 Jets game worn jersey.

#17 was issued during the era of 1962-67. At the end of the time span, 1967, the number was assigned to Mike Talaferro. At the time of evaluation, the jersey did not contain a nameplate. I was unaware of the fact that the jersey had previously sold with a nameplate. MEARS did accurately note that the nameplate had been removed.

In summary, I want to open this jersey up to discussion while explaining the process used to offer our original opinion. MEARS based our findings on:

1. Correct style of Rawlings tag for the period of 1967-69
    2. The fact Rawlings did provide AFL teams with jersey during the same time span
    3. #17 was issued by the Jets during the time span
    4. Style of jersey. Corbis BE059563 illustrates the Jets in 1969 wore a white shell body, similar sleeve stripes, and body and sleeve numbers with serifs.

There were very few common player jerseys available for comparison; therefore MEARS evaluated the jersey based on facts 1-4. In addition, the jersey was thought to be issued to a non-Hall of Fame player. Typically, forgeries are found of players at the caliber of Joe Namath. We thought that a jersey thought to be Mike Talaferro would less likely be forged.

Now, that was the basis of our original opinion. We were not aware that the jersey had previously sold with a nameplate. I do not know who removed the nameplate or why. This fact may or may not change our opinion. If any Jets experts can shed light on this subject, we will be happy to share any information. In addition, I will offer the fee charged for evaluating this jersey to any party that can provide information that supports/refutes our original findings.

This post was intended to explain the process applied to the evaluation of this jersey, and if we were in error, to at least illustrate that a logical step by step process was applied and our original conclusion was based on reason.

Regards,

Troy Kinunen
    MEARS

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post
    KingJammy- how about some imagery analysis?
    all you ladies need to do is ask hunt for a close-up photo of the rawlings tag on their jersey. upon receipt, it will immediately be apparent if it's the same howland jersey that warren humphrey of los angeles, CA sold years ago.

who's going to be macho enough to ask hunt for the photo?

rudy.