X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rob L
    • Nov 2005

Re: Looking for Troy Percival GU items

Originally posted by jscott0688
    I bought it from the team so it has a team LOA, but I'm pretty confident that I've photomatched it to three games. Luckily it has a very distinctive feature. Here is a picture of the stitching of the bat knob on the Percival jersey...

and here is how the stitching is supposed to look...

Based on this, I have been able to rule many photos out, but I've also found photos from three games that look very promising.

This is a UPI photo from the last game of the season (9/30/07) in which the stitching appears thicker than it's supposed to be.

This is a photo from a Cardinals-Cubs game on 9/18/07. I think this one is the most promising. I've ordered it in an 11x14 so I should be getting that soon, and hopefully I will be able to confirm it.

There's also an AP photo from the 9/30/07 game in which he appears to be wearing the jersey, but without posting the high resolution photo, which I obviously can't do on here, it's really not all that noticeable.

For comparisons sake, here is a photo from 7-18-07 in which he is obviously not wearing my jersey.

Very cool!!
    Rob L
    loefflerrd@cox.net

Always On the Look Out for Troy Percival & Randy Johnson Gamers

Rob L's Baseball Memorabilia website: GU Troy Percival, GU Randy Johnson, GU Angels, GU Baseball, 19th Century Baseball and Autographs. Also a huge Game Used Resource page and Game Used Collectors Page: www.loefflerrd.webs.com

Comment

• jake33
      • Nov 2005

How many ways is this laughable? Troy really had an impressive 2007 year with the rays, lol

Comment

• LastingsMilledge85
        • May 2009

Originally posted by jake33
        How many ways is this laughable? Troy really had an impressive 2007 year with the rays, lol

http://historicauctions.com/search/l...ctionid/60085/
        Historic however, is not one of the most dependable auction houses though, so what they have always has to make you wonder and really do your research.

Comment

• Rob L
          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by jake33

http://historicauctions.com/search/l...ctionid/60085/
          Hmm. I wonder who was pitching for the Cardinals? I don't even recall this style of vest and couldn't find any photos of the team wearing those in 2008 or 2009. What's the word Jake?
          Rob L
          loefflerrd@cox.net

Rob L's Baseball Memorabilia website: GU Troy Percival, GU Randy Johnson, GU Angels, GU Baseball, 19th Century Baseball and Autographs. Also a huge Game Used Resource page and Game Used Collectors Page: www.loefflerrd.webs.com

Comment

• LastingsMilledge85
            • May 2009

They really do run an incredible auction house. I got an item from there before and at times it makes me wonder.

Comment

• Rob L
              • Nov 2005

Just finished researching the Percival vest at Historic Auctions. There is no way Percival ever used this. As Jake said, Percival didn't pitch with the Rays in 2007 which was the last year this style of vest was worn. In addition, Percival hadn't worn a size 48 after he left the Angels. He was wearing a 50 and 52 with the Tigers in 2005 and was upto a 52/54 by the time he was pitching for the Cards in 2007. Crazy.
              Attached Files
              Rob L
              loefflerrd@cox.net

Comment

• camarokids
                • Jun 2006

Rob,
                Email sent.

I know where a Percival Jersey is up for auction......
                Thank you,
                David

This is my email address here!
                dzscope at gmail dot com

Email is best for personal messages...

Comment

• camarokids
                  • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Rob L
                  Just finished researching the Percival vest at Historic Auctions. There is no way Percival ever used this. As Jake said, Percival didn't pitch with the Rays in 2007 which was the last year this style of vest was worn. In addition, Percival hadn't worn a size 48 after he left the Angels. He was wearing a 50 and 52 with the Tigers in 2005 and was upto a 52/54 by the time he was pitching for the Cards in 2007. Crazy.
                  Oh crap, I did not see this post. You already knew about and dissected the jersey......

Please disregard my email.....

Another reason why jerseys are tough to collect and require a lot of homework.....

Good work Rob!
                  Thank you,
                  David

This is my email address here!
                  dzscope at gmail dot com

Email is best for personal messages...

Comment

• Rob L
                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by camarokids
                    Oh crap, I did not see this post. You already knew about and dissected the jersey......

Please disregard my email.....

Another reason why jerseys are tough to collect and require a lot of homework.....

Good work Rob!
                    Hey Dave, Thanks for the heads up and look out for me.
                    Rob L
                    loefflerrd@cox.net

Comment

• Rob L
                      • Nov 2005

Hmm. I sent the above information to Heritage, asking for more concrete information regarding the authenticity. They ended up pulling the auction this afternoon.
                      Rob L
                      loefflerrd@cox.net

Comment

• jscott0688
                        • May 2010

I finally received the photo today and I think it's pretty safe to say that I have a photomatch.

Here is a scan of the photo:

And again here is an actual picture of the jersey that I took:

and this is how the stitching is supposed to look:

Comment

• Rob L
                          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by jscott0688
                          I finally received the photo today and I think it's pretty safe to say that I have a photomatch.

Here is a scan of the photo:

And again here is an actual picture of the jersey that I took:

and this is how the stitching is supposed to look:

Looks pretty good to me. Nice jersey.
                          Rob L
                          loefflerrd@cox.net

Comment

• Rob L
                            • Nov 2005

A post vacation bump!!
                            Rob L
                            loefflerrd@cox.net

Comment

• Danny899
                              • Apr 2007

A post vacation bump!!
                              Wasn't there a home Tigers Spring training jersey on Ebay a few weeks ago?

Comment

• Rob L
                                • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Danny899
                                Wasn't there a home Tigers Spring training jersey on Ebay a few weeks ago?
                                Yes. It sold last week. I wasn't convinced that it was game used. The Tigers changed jersey brands that year and that was the previous manufacturer. I had four of Percival's 2005 jerseys, including one home ST jersey and two road ST jerseys that were converted to regular season jerseys, all with the correct tagging.
                                Rob L
                                loefflerrd@cox.net

Comment

Working...