Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Hybrid View

Re: Shea Stadium Seat Problem

I purchased 2 seats and I am glad they are being restored. If you have been to Shea and looked at what the seats look like they are disgusting. I think that they will look just fine nice and clean and free of lead paint.

Post Re: Shea Stadium Seat Problem

Quote Originally Posted by Metsfan808 View Post
    I purchased 2 seats and I am glad they are being restored. If you have been to Shea and looked at what the seats look like they are disgusting. I think that they will look just fine nice and clean and free of lead paint.
    I agree. Again, this is a sentimental purchase for me so I'm not overly bothered by the repainting. It would have been nice to have them in original condition but I'm just glad to have them at all.

I have no idea whether or not the seats would have had lead paint. However, if they did, the Mets would have to remove and restore the seats. It would probably be against the law to sell chairs with lead paint to the public.

My dad's a retired chemical and biological engineering professor. I'm seeing him tomorrow and will ask him about the subject of lead paint.

I talked to my dad and he prefaced by saying that he's not a lead expert and those concerned should look into it further. However, he did say that a lead chair left undisterbed in the basement may not cause any health trouble. Health problems with lead paint are usually not caused when the paint is untouched/undisterbed, but due to oral contact and when lead dust gets into the air due to the paint being sanded, chair refinished, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I talked to my dad and he prefaced by saying that he's not a lead expert and those concerned should look into it further. However, he did say that a lead chair left undisterbed in the basement may not cause any health trouble. Health problems with lead paint are usually not caused when the paint is untouched/undisterbed, but due to oral contact and when lead dust gets into the air due to the paint being sanded, chair refinished, etc.

Hey David,

Thanks for the additional info.

-David

Also, anyone who has a concern about lead can get a blood test through your family doctor that will tell you what is your lead level. It's a simple and inexpensive test that is regularly given to school kids.