Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shea Stadium Seat Problem

Sports Collectors Daily has a current article about how the Mets hired S+S Seating,out of Florida to(and I quote):

"...will remove all pre-sold seat pairs, RECONDITION and repaint the seat arms, box and ship the assembled seat pairs."

"recondition"????
    .....The metal seat frames, which date back to Shea's opening season in 1964, will be stripped and repainted in their original color to meet standards for indoor use.

Do buyers really want the original paint,that was there in 1986,to be removed? I wouldn't.
    I have a game used bat,before I ship it to you I'll sand it down and varnish it for indoor display. You got to be kidding me. Any way to stop this?

Article in full(From Ripkens reply in Shea Stadium Seat original thread):
    http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com...seat-deal.html

Re: Shea Stadium Seat Problem

Thats really sad. I hope they reconsider their decision.
    Broncos middle linebacker.....Joe Mays!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Collecting - Tyrone Braxton (Broncos 87-93 Dolphins 94 Broncos 95-99), Phil Hansen (Bills 91-01), Steve Nelson (Patriots 74-87), Stacy Robinson (Giants 85-90), Kevin Donnalley (Patriots 1981), Lamar Gordon (Rams 02-03, Dolphins 04, Eagles 05, Lions 06), Jared Peck (Falcons 2004), Craig Dahl (Giants 2007-08, Rams 2009-10), Joe Mays (Eagles 2008-09, Broncos 2010), & Dick Hanson (Giants 1971) among others. :rolleyes:

I posted this reply on the Shea Stadium seat thread orginated by MrMusial.

According to the Mets the reason they are restoring/repainting the metal frames is the claim that the original paint contains lead. This is the reason why they say suitable for indoor use. The Mets and the City of NY probably want to protect themselves from a future lawsuits if it's proven that the original paint on the metal frames cause someone lead poisoning related illnesses. Hey this is NY, we invented the lawsuit.

I have an orange unrestored seat sitting in my basement. Have I exposed my family to lead? Should I restore this seats metal frames to replace the orginal paint? Is it too late and the damage is done? I get my kids check ups once a year and have had the seat in my basement for the last 2 years and have had no health issues. How long does it take for lead paint on a stadium seat frame to affect someone in an enclosed environment? Is this even an issue at all? Are there any Stadium seat collectors out there who have had original lead based painted seats indoors for years and are suffering from lead related brain damage?

Historically I don't think any teams in recent years (Philly, Detriot, St. Louis if we are talking baseball) have gone thru the process of stripping and repainting stadium seats before selling them and have sold them as is in it's original condition.

Perhaps the Mets and the City of NY know something or just being overly cautious.

Personally it does not bother me that the original paint will be stripped off as long as the orginal color is put back. If the health implications of selling the seats as is is true than even better to have it restored I guess. Would I like to get the seat in it's orginal condition, yes but it is what it is. Could the seat have cost less if the restoration was not part of the process, I would say definitely yes too.

David

to the lead paint concern: lead based paint is dangerous when scraping, or sanding occurs, and you breathe the dust & fumes. just touching the paint is no problem. obviously eating it is bad too. hope this helps ease concerns. mark

Quote Originally Posted by metsbats View Post
    I have an orange unrestored seat sitting in my basement. Have I exposed my family to lead? Should I restore this seats metal frames to replace the orginal paint? Is it too late and the damage is done? I get my kids check ups once a year and have had the seat in my basement for the last 2 years and have had no health issues. How long does it take for lead paint on a stadium seat frame to affect someone in an enclosed environment? Is this even an issue at all? Are there any Stadium seat collectors out there who have had original lead based painted seats indoors for years and are suffering from lead related brain damage?

Unless the paint is chipping or flaking, it shouldnt be a problem. The lead paint has to be ingested to cause damage. If there is any loose paint, you might want to get the striped and painted.

I think the Mets are just being cautious here.

Quote Originally Posted by markize View Post
    to the lead paint concern: lead based paint is dangerous when scraping, or sanding occurs, and you breathe the dust & fumes. just touching the paint is no problem. obviously eating it is bad too. hope this helps ease concerns. mark

Hi Mark,

I agree. Like lead based paint in apartment buildings the only time it get to be a issue is exactly what you described.

Thanks
    David

Quote Originally Posted by BULBUS View Post
    Unless the paint is chipping or flaking, it shouldnt be a problem. The lead paint has to be ingested to cause damage. If there is any loose paint, you might want to get the striped and painted.

I think the Mets are just being cautious here.
    Thanks Bulbus!

It will be interesting to see how the Yankees will handle the subsequent seat sales given what the Mets have done already.

David

I purchased 2 seats and I am glad they are being restored. If you have been to Shea and looked at what the seats look like they are disgusting. I think that they will look just fine nice and clean and free of lead paint.

Post Re: Shea Stadium Seat Problem

Quote Originally Posted by Metsfan808 View Post
    I purchased 2 seats and I am glad they are being restored. If you have been to Shea and looked at what the seats look like they are disgusting. I think that they will look just fine nice and clean and free of lead paint.
    I agree. Again, this is a sentimental purchase for me so I'm not overly bothered by the repainting. It would have been nice to have them in original condition but I'm just glad to have them at all.

I have no idea whether or not the seats would have had lead paint. However, if they did, the Mets would have to remove and restore the seats. It would probably be against the law to sell chairs with lead paint to the public.