Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Y.A. Tittle's helmet

Quote Originally Posted by aeneas01 View Post
    but the reality is that vintage helmets once belonging to the league's elite are extremely, extremely rare - and most have been lost forever...
    Ironically, the irreparable damage to the helmet is probably why it still exists today... Were it not for this damage, the helmet would have probably met the fate you speak of -- reconditioning, reuse, and eventually just thrown away when it was too beat up to be of further service.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by commando View Post
    Ironically, the irreparable damage to the helmet is probably why it still exists today... Were it not for this damage, the helmet would have probably met the fate you speak of -- reconditioning, reuse, and eventually just thrown away when it was too beat up to be of further service.
    Actually, given its condition, I find it very odd it wasn't trashed in the 60's. Logically, seems to me that a good lid would have a better chance of surviving as a keepsake than this one.

Still say they coulda slapped a facemask on that puppy (I know the more beat up they are the more Robert likes em though!).

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mvandor View Post
    Actually, given its condition, I find it very odd it wasn't trashed in the 60's. Logically, seems to me that a good lid would have a better chance of surviving as a keepsake than this one.

Still say they coulda slapped a facemask on that puppy (I know the more beat up they are the more Robert likes em though!).
    I'am with Robert in that I'd take any professional suspension helmet regardless of their condition. As long as they are all-original, the more they are banged up, the better.

I think the Tittle helmet is awesome in that it is a prime example of the way the guys played back in the day as well as just how scarce vintage helmets actually are. As commando wrote, "reconditioning, reuse, and eventually just thrown away when it was too beat up to be of further service", is a very accurate statement.

Finally, I'd like to take this opportunity to post the following: if anyone on this forum has any original professional suspension helmets lying around, please LMK what you have. My email address is flaa1a@comcast.net

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by commando View Post
    exactly my friend - ironic, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by cohibasmoker
    I'am with Robert in that I'd take any professional suspension helmet regardless of their condition. As long as they are all-original, the more they are banged up, the better.
    what's up with old geezers like us that seem to be attracted most to old gear? they are something tho, those old vintage lids, aren't they?

robert

Great stuff, guys. Thanks for contributing all of it. I could read posts like those all day.