Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Feds' memorabilia case heating up

From today's New York Daily News...

BY MICHAEL O'KEEFFE
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Monday, September 8th 2008, 9:20 PM

Several sports memorabilia officials have testified in recent weeks before a grand jury in Chicago that is investigating Mastro Auctions and fraud in the collectibles business.

Additional hobby insiders are also scheduled to testify before the grand jury, sources said, while others have been asked to provide records and other documents.

"There has been a parade of people going to the grand jury," said a source close to the case. "The feds are closing in."

The grand jury deliberations are part of an investigation into memorabilia fraud initiated last year by the Chicago division of the FBI, whose "Operation Foul Ball" smashed a multistate autograph forgery ring in the 1990s.

Although the target of the investigation is Illinois-based Mastro Auctions, sports memorabilia's largest auction house, other businesses and individuals may be involved.

Some of the hobby insiders who received subpoenas to appear before the grand jury are former Mastro Auctions employees. "The FBI told me I am not a target, but they want to talk to me," said one former Mastro worker.
    Mastro Auctions president Doug Allen did not return a call for comment.
    As the Daily News first reported, investigators from the FBI and the United Postal Service crashed the National Sports Collectors Convention in Rosemont, Ill., in August, delivering subpoenas to industry executives and questioning memorabilia companies' employees.

The investigation of Mastro Auctions has focused on shill bidding, card doctoring and other allegations of fraud.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba.../08/2008-09-08
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Banned

Re: Feds' memorabilia case heating up

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    From today's New York Daily News...

BY MICHAEL O'KEEFFE
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Monday, September 8th 2008, 9:20 PM

Several sports memorabilia officials have testified in recent weeks before a grand jury in Chicago that is investigating Mastro Auctions and fraud in the collectibles business.

Additional hobby insiders are also scheduled to testify before the grand jury, sources said, while others have been asked to provide records and other documents.

"There has been a parade of people going to the grand jury," said a source close to the case. "The feds are closing in."

The grand jury deliberations are part of an investigation into memorabilia fraud initiated last year by the Chicago division of the FBI, whose "Operation Foul Ball" smashed a multistate autograph forgery ring in the 1990s.

Although the target of the investigation is Illinois-based Mastro Auctions, sports memorabilia's largest auction house, other businesses and individuals may be involved.

Some of the hobby insiders who received subpoenas to appear before the grand jury are former Mastro Auctions employees. "The FBI told me I am not a target, but they want to talk to me," said one former Mastro worker.
    Mastro Auctions president Doug Allen did not return a call for comment.
    As the Daily News first reported, investigators from the FBI and the United Postal Service crashed the National Sports Collectors Convention in Rosemont, Ill., in August, delivering subpoenas to industry executives and questioning memorabilia companies' employees.

The investigation of Mastro Auctions has focused on shill bidding, card doctoring and other allegations of fraud.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba.../08/2008-09-08

Oh boy, Oh boy.

People should take anything Michael O'keefe says regarding Bill Mastro and Mastro auctions with a grain of salt. He has had it out for them for a long time. The feds are looking at Mastro and a couple of other entities within the collecting community but just use a little caution when reading anything O'keefe writes.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rose14 View Post
    People should take anything Michael O'keefe says regarding Bill Mastro and Mastro auctions with a grain of salt. He has had it out for them for a long time. The feds are looking at Mastro and a couple of other entities within the collecting community but just use a little caution when reading anything O'keefe writes.
    People should look carefully at anything and everything the media writes or broadcasts. Most are filled with personal, and most times bias, opinion rather than commentary.

My comment is based on the fact that the Feds are conducting an investigation into the collectible hobby.

Jim

People should take anything Michael O'keefe says regarding Bill Mastro and Mastro auctions with a grain of salt. He has had it out for them for a long time.
    Just curious, what is the personal vendetta you're referring to? You seem to have some insight here.

I personally think that O'Keefe has been a good "watch dog" for this industry...What's one thing has he has ever reported wrong?

i don't really understand your comments - i've read most (all?) of o'keefe's articles regarding this topic and have found them to be thoughtful, thorough, fair and accurate. can you point to a specific example that supports your words of caution? i'm very interested.

robert

O'Keefe and his ITeam seem to write some very insightful essays. What are you referring to Jim?
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Pick up the book "The Card" and you will see what I am talking about.

I have read The Card. I read O'Keeffe's work all the time here in New York and it's very impressive. In addition to the hobby, he covers things like steroids (bonds, clemens/mcnamee, canseco, floyd landis, marion jones), the pac man jones case.

What exactly is the bias you are referring to? How exactly does he have it out for Mastro? Are you saying there is something personal there?

Does he have something personal against sports cheaters too?