Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Are Raising Stars Bats Becoming Over Priced?

Hunter Pence GU Auto Bat $1195.95/OBO
    Evan Longoria GU Auto Bat $799.95 starting bid.
    Matt Holiday I Think Sold For Around $500
    David Wright $1395/OBO
    Josh Hamilton GU Auto $795

Just to name a few!!!!!

Some of these guys have only bin in the majors for a year! Legit Star like Posada, Rollins, Tejuda, and Soriano just to name few. Can all be found for under $600 from legit sources. Just was wondering what everyone thought.
    I know I have paid some high prices for raising stars and will probably continue to do so. I guess if people are willing to pay, like myself they will continue to sell at these prices.
    Thanks Scott

Re: Are Raising Stars Bats Becoming Over Priced?

Honestly, since you asked I think it's pure stupidity and those people are going to financially lose their ass on nearly all of those speculative purchases.

If you are planning on investing in these prospects, then you are wasting money. If you are trying to acquire a legit bat at market value, then you have to pay sometimes to play. In today's market, dealers and some collectors are including many years of inflation on these players...you are basically paying up front for the future value of the bat or other item.

This goes on all the time in the collectible marketplace...

I collect Cardinals stuff, meaning I buy the occasional Pujols item. Upper Deck sells a signed baseball for $499 - that is ridiculous, but some people will pay that much. The only way I see a profit being made in the future off of that item is - and God forbid, Albert dies soon. Mantle UD balls are still making people money years after the fact because, like Pujols - his signature is forged so often, that collectors are willing to pay extra because of the reputation of UD. Those balls were expensive when they were first sold too...

Paying $1500 for a bat of a player that has 1 season under his belt is crazy - unless money is no object and you need to have it in hand. If that player gets hurt and his career is ruined the following season - like Byergo said - you will lose your a$$.
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I paid about $450 for my Jay Bruce game used bat

But I didn't do it for investing purposes.

He is my favorite player and I wanted one of his bats

But I do think it is really getting out of hand
    I collect Jay Bruce and Cincinnati Reds Minor League stuff

My email address: hakes89@gmail.com

Yep. It's all way overpriced. It's the same thing that happens with Rookie cards. I bought my McGwire and Sosa rookies back in late 1990s when they were all the rage. Did I overspend, you bet. It's always best to wait a few years to see where the market is at. Look at Winfield and Thome bats. They are very reasonably priced for a HOFer and a future HOFer. Bonds prices are going down (for obvious reasons). It's best to try and not snap at something during the hype. It can be hard, but economically, it's the best way to go.
    Rob L
    loefflerrd@cox.net

Always On the Look Out for Troy Percival & Randy Johnson Gamers

Rob L's Baseball Memorabilia website: GU Troy Percival, GU Randy Johnson, GU Angels, GU Baseball, 19th Century Baseball and Autographs. Also a huge Game Used Resource page and Game Used Collectors Page: www.loefflerrd.webs.com

I agree with you all but I also know that the market for jay bruce or evan longoria is quite smaller than that of soriano or tejada. simple..supply and demand factors in as well in our market. for those who make a killing on these guys i say 2 words ..well played.

Exclamation Re: Are Raising Stars Bats Becoming Over Priced?

And I thought I would add some great examples of busts..Bo Hart,Super Joe McEwing, and Mike Caruso. I remember selling a Bo Hart bat for more than 200!!!

When a prospect is supposed to be the next Babe Ruth, his prices will later plummet when collector's realize he's merely the next Mel Ott.

MOST of those bats will lose considerable value in my opinion. While a few players will make the Hall of Fame, become hometown favorites or be members of a collectible team year (i.e. 1986 Mets, 1982 Brewers), most of these values simply will not hold in the long run.

The list goes on and on with players from the past 30 years who were excellent players in their day... But today are largely forgotten when it comes to collectors and the prices they pay. Darrell Evans, Tony Armas, Bob Horner, Pedro Guerrero, Manny Trillo, Larry Parrish, Ken Singleton, Al Oliver.... The list of quality players from the past goes on and on... These guys were considered stars on their respective teams at the time but I think the prices of their bats are pretty darn reasonable -- not to mention the fact that their bats are fairly scarce when compared to what's available for today's players.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

A way to view future value of a prospect is to look at the current values of cards, autographs and memorabilia of the lesser HOFer players: Gary Carter, Don Sutton, Bruce Sutter, etc. Most of the stuff from these guys is very affordable, and any current top prospect will be lucky to have half the career of any of these HOFers