Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Joe Montana Game Used Lid?

sold - buy it now. did a forum member pick it up?
    robert

I am not qualified to give an opinion on the helmet itself... I'll leave that to Robert and the experts. However, I will give my professional opinion based on my level of forensics training. First, you must ignore the fact that the letter is written on 49ers letterhead (blank team letterhead can usually be found if you know where to look). Concentrate on the content of the note itself. Would Joe Montana "say" the words written on this letter? I believe the wording of this letter is somewhat suspicious, and gives me the impression it goes out of the way to tell John Q. Reader a story.

"As you know I grabed (sic) it out of my locker especially for you the other day you were here..."

Anyhow, the helmet has been sold and life goes on. I hope the buyer enjoys his purchase.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

if a forum member bought this helmet and would like some videos to conclusively match it..lmk

If I had to take a guess, I think that "Paul" might be Paul Gaines...he had a lot of niners stuff in the early 90's...I have no idea if they were good or bad, but he had pictures of himself with Montana at Joe's house...I bought a Rice helmet from him back then with a LOA from Rice on Niners paperwork, and it was very similar to his one....

Did anyone read the seller's most recent feedback?

As far as the letter itself goes, a busy celebrity or businessman could well have a secretary or assistant composing his letters, which he reads over before signs. Also, you could have PSA or JSA look at the letter to judge if it's authentic.

A bit off topic, but I saw for auction a while ago a pair of Joe Montana game used cleats, which I believe the consignor won in a charity auction or something on that order. The offered cleats came with the original mailing box, postmarked and with San Francisco 49ers return address. I though, now that's good provenance documentation.

Lund,
    Is this Paul Gaines? I never knew who it was, just that he was the source on a jersey I owned once.

Roger
    Attached Images Attached Images  

yep...that's him

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by aeneas01 View Post
    sold - buy it now. did a forum member pick it up?
    I would bet my bringing it to everyone's attention cut the legs out from under me. I was awaiting more info before jumping on this.

I did not mention the differences in the autograph on the helmet and the letter. Here are some real autogaphs. Experts comment in on this.

Roger
    Attached Images Attached Images