Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Yankee/MLB Coercion

At yesterdays Yankee game ,as Jeter's homerun entered the seating between the right field fence and stands,MLB and yankee officials in golf shirts were at the ready. My friend who's a NYPD cop on the paid(O/T) detail told me the following. The ball hit the arm of a kid in the front of the bleechers and bounced down into the folding seat area in front. An older man in his 50's got the ball. Security approached the man and offered him 4 tickets to the last Yankee home game. Answer:no The 4 tickets ,meet Jeter and a bat signed by Jeter. Answer:no. Then the golf shirt wearing offical(who's an ex-correction officer) stated the following to the fan. If you don't make the trade,we'll authenticate another ball put a mlb sticker on it and you'll have nothing. Nobody will believe you. The fan then made the trade.

Banned

Re: Yankee/MLB Coercion

If this is true it is very disturbing. However, I personally feel that this approach was probably done by this individual's own doing. It's hard to believe that MLB would support this type of behavior. Maybe an over-zealous security guy employed by the Yankees.

My friend said he's seen this before. The unifomed cop approached the fan later and offered to make a police report for found property to strengthen the fans case that in fact it was his ball but the fan declined. The fan felt he was extorted out of keeping the ball for what it represented

Strange that when Bonds historic homer was caught, the fan who caught it was rushed by security out of the stands. For MLB or Yankee personnel to make an offer on the spot in front of everyone is highly suspicious.

David

David,it happened. My friend,the cop,was going to pull the security guy aside and away from the fan. Another Burns security cop told my friend that these guys are "negotiators".Their job is to get the ball back,period. Nice time to be had at the ballpark with your kids. Grab a once in a lifetime baseball in the stands and the KGB grabs you. He also was told that MLB authentication is considering not focusing in on homeruns caught in the stands for this very reason.
    Too much for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Swoboda4 View Post
    David,it happened. My friend,the cop,was going to pull the security guy aside and away from the fan. Another Burns security cop told my friend that these guys are "negotiators".Their job is to get the ball back,period. Nice time to be had at the ballpark with your kids. Grab a once in a lifetime baseball in the stands and the KGB grabs you. He also was told that MLB authentication is considering not focusing in on homeruns caught in the stands for this very reason.
    Too much for me.

I did some research on the internet. It seems Burn Security was and may still be employed by the Yankees. This blurb is from an NYC Parks Dept audit report from 2003.

This surely points to the "negotiators" being employed by the Yankees.

David
    Attached Images Attached Images  

http://www.nysun.com/new-york/red-so...assault/83291/

As of 2008 Burns is still the Yankees security company.

Does not look good for the Yankees and Burns regarding this last incident.

Wonder if MLB approves of these tactics.

David

They're the Yankee$
    And they'll do what they want to
    Do what they want to
    Do what they want to...
    Get in their way and they'll do it to you!

(To the tune of "It's My Party")

Just when you think you couldn't hate an organization more, the Yankee$ step up and give you yet another reason!

Eff 'em!

Mark
    bigtime39@aol.com

A somewhat related story about the Indians negotiator.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Here are some excerpt from the story:

Once he's spotted the ball's owner, Danburg takes the fan to a quiet area away from the hubbub and peer pressure and begins his pitch. He starts simply by saying that the player has hit a meaningful home run and would like the memento in exchange for an autographed ball.

"Will the ball really be that meaningful to you?" Danburg remembers telling him. "Wouldn't it be nice, if you were hitting the home run, that you could tell your grandchildren about this ball? And wouldn't it look nice above your fireplace to have a signed ball by Travis Hafner, rather than a ball that nobody knows is real? That ball is going to mean a whole lot more to Travis than it will ever mean to you."

So Danburg got the OK to throw in a signed Hafner bat, which would be the final offer. The club never surrenders more than a ball and a signed bat, and this instance would be no different. A deal had to be made now.

Yet, this knowledge doesn't make the ones that get away any easier to take. This was true for Danburg in 2002, when he was unable to reclaim Jim Thome's club-record 51st home run ball. "I was upset," Danburg said. "I was sorry for the person who kept the ball and I was sorry for Jim. It really had me thinking what I could have done differently."
    Wanted: Minnesota Twins throwback or special event jerseys.

Quote Originally Posted by sylbry View Post
    A somewhat related story about the Indians negotiator.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Here are some excerpt from the story:

Once he's spotted the ball's owner, Danburg takes the fan to a quiet area away from the hubbub and peer pressure and begins his pitch. He starts simply by saying that the player has hit a meaningful home run and would like the memento in exchange for an autographed ball.

"Will the ball really be that meaningful to you?" Danburg remembers telling him. "Wouldn't it be nice, if you were hitting the home run, that you could tell your grandchildren about this ball? And wouldn't it look nice above your fireplace to have a signed ball by Travis Hafner, rather than a ball that nobody knows is real? That ball is going to mean a whole lot more to Travis than it will ever mean to you."

So Danburg got the OK to throw in a signed Hafner bat, which would be the final offer. The club never surrenders more than a ball and a signed bat, and this instance would be no different. A deal had to be made now.

Yet, this knowledge doesn't make the ones that get away any easier to take. This was true for Danburg in 2002, when he was unable to reclaim Jim Thome's club-record 51st home run ball. "I was upset," Danburg said. "I was sorry for the person who kept the ball and I was sorry for Jim. It really had me thinking what I could have done differently."
    I was at those games where Thome hit those homers to tie/pass Belle. He got the #52 ball back . I was setting a few rows over from where it landed. A couple of old ladies got it, and gave it back. I ask Jim if he was disappointed not getting #51 back. He said No. What a way to play your last game............
    Roger Ward- Thomecollector
    thomecollector@verizon.net