X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • suave1477
    Banned
    • Jan 2006

Re: Jorge Posada Helmet on AM

nathan i guess you missed my post regarding im at the Steiner cage every week i know what all there equipment looks like and believe me they dont clean a thing

Comment

• GameBats
      • Nov 2005

Based on the thread, It appears to be a HUGE leap of faith mixed with some fantasy to allow this helmet to be listed as the earliest known game worn Posada helmet.

John

Comment

• BULBUS
        • Nov 2005

exactly john! i think my biggest concern besides the lack of pine tar is the font of the 20 on back and the lack of the number on the brim. can anyone find a picture of a yankees player wearing a helmet wihout the number on the brim? the font of the 20 is too thick. maybe this was a batting practice helmet?

fyi: mike stanley wore #20 in 1995 and robert eenhorn and mike aldrete wore it in 1996. could it be one of their helmets?
        Chris

NY Giants, NY Yankees, Don Mattingly, Mattingly brand bats (any player)
        sigpic
        donnie23fan at yahoo.com

Comment

• Eric
          • Jan 1970

A reminder-
          Just because the helmet said it was manufactured at a certain time doesn't mean it was used then. Here's a post from the old gameusedforum.com site.

reading the dial

April 18 2005 at 6:37 PMJason (Login skipcareyisfat)

Response to ABC Batting Helmets
          Phil brings up a good point regarding helmets that are issued years after they were made. I have Jason Larue's rookie helmet and it was made 8 years before he finally wore it. Last year I had a chance to look at a ton of gamers the Braves were selling and some of them were actually made in the 1980s. Unfortunately, ABC clocks in 1980s gamers are, as far as I'm concerned, impossible to read. If anyone knows how to do it please let us know.
          Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Comment

• BULBUS
            • Nov 2005

eric, i understand that, but lets say jorge used the helmet in 1997. look at this picture from 97:

jorge likes his pinetar. although this helmet isnt covered in pinetar like some of his helmets, there is definitely a good amount on his bat and his helmet. and you cant clean that crap off a helmet either. also, see the 20 on the brim, it is not present in the AM helmet.

sorry i cant answer your clock question. i guess no one can read those things
            Chris

sigpic
            donnie23fan at yahoo.com

Comment

• suave1477
              Banned
              • Jan 2006

bulbus there is no pic there can you post it again

Comment

• BULBUS
                • Nov 2005

Click image for larger version

Name:	1388780.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	635206
                Chris

sigpic
                donnie23fan at yahoo.com

Comment

• suave1477
                  Banned
                  • Jan 2006

Even on that photo which shows lite use still shows evidence of pine tar, and still shows dullness due to usage.

Comment

• DrJ
                    • Nov 2005

"a Mike Singletary Kelly helmet from Baylor could never actually exist, since the company stopped manufacturing helmets sometime in the mid-1970s and Singletary played from 1978-81. Hard to believe, but Baylor had enough sitting around that Singletary and a majority of the team were outfitted using helmets that were notorious for cracking and breaking." - Nathan I have a couple Kelley clear shell helmets in my collection that weren't manufactured until 1982 - Texas A&M and Pittsburgh Steelers. Kelley was around when Singletary played. - DrJ

Comment

• Nathan
                      • Nov 2005

DrJ, you're right. I had my chronology mixed up; it was actually MacGregor that was bought by Kelly instead of vice versa. For some reason I was thinking that MacGregor bought Kelly and phased out that brand name.
                      Looking for Duane Kuiper home run baseballs

Comment

Working...