Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I screwed?

Am I screwed?

So I bought a bat on ebay on August 30th. I paid on the 31st. I asked where the bat was on the 12th seller said he sent it priority and it should come the next day. As of yesterday still no bat so I opened a dispute with paypal. Seller provided me a confirmation # after I did that. I enter the # and it says "package accepted" on Sept 5th in Tracy, CA. What does that mean? It does not say the package final destination nothing, I have not recieved my bat is there any chance of me winning a claim?

Seller responded said he did his part and because I didnt get insurance it is my problem now and not his. I am kind of annoyed because he mailed it from his work office so I have a feeling that plays a large part on this missing bat. He did not go to the actual post office and have it mailed.

I have requested of the seller he refund my money until the bat shows up, not sure if he will accept that.

So my questions. What are my options and chances of getting my money back? If I claim it via paypal. Will paypal side with me?

Also if I call my credit card company and dispute the charge if they side with me do they take the money back from pay pal and make it their problem? I have a feeling if this to be the case pay pal would side with me because now the money would becoming out of their pocket.

Does this confirmation # that to me proves nothing to where it was to be shipped or nothing. ?

Please help,

Thanks,
    Brian

Re: Am I screwed?

I would recommend taking the tracking number to your local post office. I believe they can look up what address it went to, specifically.

As far as the protection. How much was the bat? The reason I ask, is that if it is over $200 or $250 they have to provide a signature confirmation. If it is under that, I believe the tracking number is suitable for the seller.

Others, please correct me if I'm wrong.
    "We need rebirth of the American tradition of leadership ... in private life as well." "'Trust me' government asks that we concentrate our hopes and dreams on one man; that we trust him to do what's best for us. My view of government places trust not in one person or one party, but in those values that transcend persons and parties. The trust is where it belongs--in the people." - Ronald Reagan"

http://www.freewebs.com/chrishwish/

The tracking number seems valid. PayPal will not refund money, if the tracking number is good. Sounds like the seller is telling a story, as to when the bat was originally sent. Sit tight. I bet you will get the bat tomorrow. Call you post office, most likely that is where it is.

Post Re: Am I screwed?

Quote Originally Posted by BergerKing22784 View Post
    So I bought a bat on ebay on August 30th. I paid on the 31st. I asked where the bat was on the 12th seller said he sent it priority and it should come the next day. As of yesterday still no bat so I opened a dispute with paypal. Seller provided me a confirmation # after I did that. I enter the # and it says "package accepted" on Sept 5th in Tracy, CA. What does that mean? It does not say the package final destination nothing, I have not recieved my bat is there any chance of me winning a claim?

Seller responded said he did his part and because I didnt get insurance it is my problem now and not his. I am kind of annoyed because he mailed it from his work office so I have a feeling that plays a large part on this missing bat. He did not go to the actual post office and have it mailed.

I have requested of the seller he refund my money until the bat shows up, not sure if he will accept that.

So my questions. What are my options and chances of getting my money back? If I claim it via paypal. Will paypal side with me?

Also if I call my credit card company and dispute the charge if they side with me do they take the money back from pay pal and make it their problem? I have a feeling if this to be the case pay pal would side with me because now the money would becoming out of their pocket.

Does this confirmation # that to me proves nothing to where it was to be shipped or nothing. ?

Please help,

Thanks,
    Brian
    In my experience, "package accepted" indicates that a package with that tracking number has made it to the post office so I'd probably spend my time trying to get the post office to locate it.

As for a PayPal claim, I believe it's up to the seller to prove it was delivered. With insurance though, not sure how that work work. In my particular cases, the tracking number showed data was electronically transmitted to the postal service but that was it. Since the sellers obviously couldn't prove it was delivered, PayPal decided in my favor.

Also, I would file the claim and not rely on the seller refunding your money - or worse - being strung along to the point where you miss the PayPal filing deadline and have no recourse.

Finally, if you have a credit card company that's willing to stand behind you - AMEX does (or used to at least) - I'd call them too. As long as you get your money back for an item you haven't legitimately received, you'll have to let them sort it out.

I think you have some time to see what the post office turns up, but I'd use every avenue to protect myself ... my two cents anyway.

I have to side with the seller if he is indeed being truthful, which I'm thinking he is given that he's provided you with a tracking number--which is showing up as vaild in the USPS tracking system. You paid via Paypal and did not request insurance. I don't follow how he should be held responsible for this. If your bat gets lost (sounds like it's just held up somewhere - packaged "accepted" and "delivered" are two different entries), how is that the seller's fault? You paid, he shipped, end of story. Mistakes happen. The middle man loses the ball sometimes and everyone gets screwed. But we shouldn't automatically bury the seller because of it. My money's on your bat showing up soon. Hopefully it will.

Post Re: Am I screwed?

Quote Originally Posted by skipcarayislegend View Post
    ...we shouldn't automatically bury the seller because of it. My money's on your bat showing up soon. Hopefully it will.
    For the record, I'm not trying to bury the seller. I just tried to provide my experience, which is obviously slightly different than his, so he knows what some of his options are for any eBay/PayPal transaction. At least, in this case, the seller has brought the package to the post office. I'm in agreement with you though - hopefully it turns up soon.

I feel your pain... same thing happened to me recently, but worse. Read my blog entry I did for today. It's like losing bad at poker, except you have no chance at winning.

http://gavelchat.sportscollectorsdig...n+My+Town.aspx
    Thank you,
    Chris Nerat

Quote Originally Posted by MRMusial View Post
    For the record, I'm not trying to bury the seller. I just tried to provide my experience, which is obviously slightly different than his, so he knows what some of his options are for any eBay/PayPal transaction. At least, in this case, the seller has brought the package to the post office. I'm in agreement with you though - hopefully it turns up soon.
    Gotcha. I know there has to be some buyer protection, but it seems to me that Paypal sometimes goes too far and things become too black and white.

Quote Originally Posted by kneerat View Post
    I feel your pain... same thing happened to me recently, but worse. Read my blog entry I did for today. It's like losing bad at poker, except you have no chance at winning.

http://gavelchat.sportscollectorsdig...n+My+Town.aspx
    Ouch.

Sorry, Chris.

Cool Re: Am I screwed?

Isn't the point of insurance for mail to recover the funds to the seller so they can offer a full refund? A seller would rather just say tough, I got my money it's not my problem?

I've never had that mindset and can't really understand that method of doing business but some just want money and don't care about taking care of the customer to the very end of the transaction.
    Always looking for Seattle Mariners & Anything of Felix Hernandez or Richie Sexson.

-Jeremy Morgan