Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Terrible Johnny Bench autograph story

Joe Garagiola did a signing last year at a local bookstore. I actually bought the book, which was pre-signed, the day before at that bookstore, because the pre-signed copies had a signed HOF postcard and another signed card in them, and I didn't know whether those would be included in the copies for sale the day of the signing.

Anyway, I went up to Joe with a baseball and an old photo of him in his Cardinals uniform, and assured him that I'd bought the book the day before, and asked him to sign my ball and photo. He looked over to the bookstore owner (who knows me and my wife well) and said, "Is this guy okay?" She assured him that I was, and Joe said, jokingly, "Well, if he didn't buy the book, lightning's gonna strike him."

Bench makes a yearly week long trip to Wichita. He takes part in a golf tournament, catchers clinic at Wichita State, etc. The big part of his trip is presenting the NCAA D-I Catcher of the Year award (I'm sure there's another name for the award). Anyways, good friends with a couple that was sitting with Bench at one of the award shows a few years ago. He would not sign anything for adults. Would sign for kids only and one item only. I was lucky enough to get a few cards signed though .

Since probably half the stuff they sign for free shows up on eBay the following week, I don't begrudge them for being wary of signers. I'm sure if they could differentiate between the eBay resellers and the people wanting keepsakes, they'd often be very friendly to sign for the keepsake collectors. I can't blame a fomer player who doesn't feel it's his obigation in life to provide income for eBay dealers.

I know the original scenario mentioned here is a little different, but keep in mind that when celebrities are brought in for book signings, often they are NOT allowed to sign things other than their book. They are specifically there to represent the bookstore and a being paid under contract to do so.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Good point, Anthony. The book seller hires the author to appear so they can sell copies of the book. The rule about only signing a store purchased book may be the store's rule enforced on the author.

One thing I don't understand is why a collector intentionally breaking store rules and trying to get a signature for free or dirt cheap ($24 is dirt cheap even by eBay forged signature standards) is considered cute collecting behavior, but Bench chosing not to accomodate his ploy is boorish. As already noted, Bench may not have been allowed to sign anything other than books.

As many know, astronaut Neil Armstrong is perhaps the toughest living celebrity signer, as he refuses to autograph. He used to autograph, but said he quit when he learned how many forgeries of his signature were for sale and how many people requested his autograph only so they could turn an a profit. He decided the autograph hobby wasn't something he was willing to participate in anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    As many know, astronaut Neil Armstrong is perhaps the toughest living celebrity signer, as he refuses to autograph. He used to autograph, but said he quit when he learned how many forgeries of his signature were for sale and how many people requested his autograph only so they could turn an a profit. He decided the autograph hobby wasn't something he was willing to participate in anymore.
    It seems to me that if someone were genuinely concerned about their autograph being forged, they'd sign anything and everything, every chance they got and every time somebody asked - until their signature was essentially worthless as a "collectible" item. Everybody who wanted a Neil Armstrong autograph would have one, and if you didn't have one, you could pick one up for $9.99 on eBay.

As for worrying about what other people do with your autograph...again, if you want to minimize the profit motive, you increase the supply; it doesn't make any sense to refuse to sign anything, thereby vastly increasing the scarcity of your autograph, demand for same, and the motive to sell it for big bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by commando View Post
    I know the original scenario mentioned here is a little different, but keep in mind that when celebrities are brought in for book signings, often they are NOT allowed to sign things other than their book. They are specifically there to represent the bookstore and a being paid under contract to do so.
    Anthony,
    Your post is right on the money. At nearly all of these book signings, there are plenty of signs stating in effect that no memorabilia will be signed other than the offered book. Even the ads leading up to the show usually indicate this rule. Yet there is always some knucklehead in line with a ball or a bat looking for a freebie. By the time they get up there, naturally a confrontation ensues leaving the athlete angry. Then you have to deal with him still steaming when it's your turn to get up there (by no fault of your own). As far as the original post goes, there is only one side of the story listed. I'm sure Mr. Bench could offer his version which really demands nothing more than, "Hey read the signs or I can only sign books." I've been to many shows where Bench has signed some quite valuable items for me and he has always shown himself to be friendly, accomodating and profesional.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    In baseball, Dr. Mike Marshall won't sign anything except for one private signing a few years ago. Bill Corcoran out of Tampa apparently made an irresistable offer, so Marshall signed 100 baseballs.

If you see one, they sell for around $300 apiece, which is staggering considering that he's a fairly accessable 65-year-old in perfect health.

His philosophy is basically "I played baseball. Go get an autograph from someone that did something important."
    Looking for Duane Kuiper home run baseballs