Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Terrible Johnny Bench autograph story

Just read this on another website......if its true, its just flat out awful...

I went last night to the Boston University Bookstore for a book signing by Johnny Bench. I was planning on buying his book and having it signed, but my real goal was to have him sign my HOF bat. I've been working on this bat for about 15+ years, where I have been getting as many Hall of Fame people to sign it. I'm close to 30 now. (My experience has been that at book signings, usually the people will only sign their book and not other things, but I figured I'd take a chance.)

I went into the signing area and left the bat in my car, and figured I'd ask Bench to see if he'd sign it first. (It's pointless to ask bookstore people, since they'll just say no.) So I waited in the small line, went up to Bench, had him sign my book, then asked him:

Me: Mr. Bench, I have a bat out in my car that I've had about 30 Hall of Famers sign. I would be thrilled if you would sign it for me as well.
    Bench: Ah, well, ask my son what he thinks (pointing to back of room).

His son is about 20 years old and goes to BU - hence the appearance there. I'm confused, but I do as he said and go talk to his son. I repeat the story to the son, and he says sure, although he's not sure why Johnny told me to ask him. I go back out to my car, get the bat, wait at the back until the last 10 people or so get their books signed, then I go up to the front where Bench is, by himself.

Me: Thanks to you and your son for agreeing to sign the bat for me; I greatly appreciate it.
    Bench (taking my pen and signing my bat): My son told you I want fifty bucks for doing this, right?
    Me: Excuse me?
    Bench (somewhat snapping at me): I'm here to sign books, not your bat. I want fifty bucks.
    Me: No one said that to me. I had no idea.
    Bench (angry now): Don't give me that crap. If you've had 30 people sign this, you know how it works. You want it signed, you pay up. (He's now holding my bat, not giving it back.)
    Me (opening my wallet and showing him): I've got 24 bucks on me; I came in with 50, but just spent 26 to buy your book. And honestly, I haven't paid anyone else to sign my bat.
    Bench: So you think I'm here to just sign your bat for free? Ridiculous. (Rolls the bat back across the table at me.) And to think I tried to give you a break - go to my website next time, and you'd have to pay 100 bucks.
    Me: So do you want my 24 bucks?
    Bench: Get out of here, will ya?

Re: Terrible Johnny Bench autograph story

Oh man, that is a classic. I still remember meeting Hank Aaron at a show in the mid 90's. He sat in a limo in the parking area watching college football on a tv and made everybody in line wait. Then he comes in, speaks with few, and when I get up to him, I kindly asked if he'd sign my ball and add 756. He had a guy on either side of him and never spoke directly to me. He preceded to angrily state to these guys that he was there to sign his name, nothing else (obviously directing this at me). What an a*s. It was a question.

Or maybe the time Reggie J did a signing and I used to see a handicapped girl watch signers from the side line. She could not afford autos but would watch standing with her arm braces on. I overheard Reggie's guys tell him it would look good for him to go talk to her. He said he had no time. They kept on him and he finally turned on the charm and walked over. It was all a show. The only good thing was the girl had no clue.

Sad..........

I was at a press conference for Bonds in the late 90's. There was a kid in the audience that had been brought there by Make A Wish to meet Bonds prior to a game. When Bonds was walking out, the kid yelled HEY BARRY!!!! Bonds looked at the kid, rolled his eyes and kept going. His press told him that the kid was there from Make A Wish. He came back out and smiled at the kid, signed a baseball and handed it to him. The kid looked at it and threw the ball on the ground. He tells Bonds, "I'm sick, not an idiot."

I love that story.

I went to a Phil Simms book signing at the Yogi Berra museum. He was awesome! I had him sign my book, then asked if he would sign my football. He said sure and signed it with a beautiful large signature and added the SB MVP inscription. That was my only book signing experience.

When Bench asked about the $50 bucks you should have said that you already paid his son and he would have signed and then you should have gotten the hell outta there! Then you would be telling a story about how you out smarted Johnny Bench!

And for all you boy scouts that are going to call it stealing......get over it.....guys charging crazy prices to sign stuff and being complete jerks is the real crime.....

Bench would not be able or willing to press any type of charges and really there is no law that you would be breaking, unless there was a stated price to sign other items then the book. actually it would be your word against his on the agreement made to sign the bat. Do you really think Bench wants a news station or the papers picking up a story about him having a fan arrested for having an item signed? I think not!

Waboom; the guy ended up getting the bat signed for free. It was while he was signing it he asked for the $50.....The guy offered the $24 he had, but Bench declined. No crime committed here.

Banned

Some of these older jocks played for chump change back in the day and I believe are resentful that they have to now parade themselves in public signings to get by, while more recent lesser players are rolling in dough.

I think that resentment comes out in the way they deal with the public all too often, unfortunately. If $50 is that big a deal to Bench, he's either greedy, tight, or financially challenged.

When I hear things like that Bench story, and the one about Kirk Gibson and the helmet, I have to consider myself lucky to have gotten away as cleanly as I did when The Big Unit signed my World Series bat. Compared to either one of those jerks, Randy was an absolute angel.

Post Re: Terrible Johnny Bench autograph story

Quote Originally Posted by BULBUS View Post
    I went to a Phil Simms book signing at the Yogi Berra museum. He was awesome! I had him sign my book, then asked if he would sign my football. He said sure and signed it with a beautiful large signature and added the SB MVP inscription. That was my only book signing experience.
    He's one GIANT class act...

when did this take place, I don't see any mention of this book signing on his site's event calendar

http://www.johnnybench.com/events.php