Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Robin Ventura Mini Interview

Went to the MAB autograph festival this afternoon in Queens NY
    http://www.mab-celebrity.com/c-593-s...t-27-2008.aspx
    The key to a big signing going smooth is NOT to have a card show with it. Most people had pieces to sign and with such a big line-up in a small place I was amazed. Anyway,brought the Mets away Ventura jersey and a bat for Robin to look at and sign "gamer" if appropriate. Went like this:
    How's the ankle Robin? Great.
    I have what I believe is a game used jersey of yours but the big question is have you on occasion ever shortened the jersey like this because it was too long.
    Ans. "Oh yea."
    Robin turns the hem over and glances at the label(with set and size tag) nods yes and signs:

I then show Robin the Rawlings bat and ask him about his habit of taping the bottom of the bat near the handle. He said yep,that's mine but be carefull because Edgardo Alfonzo would steal my bats and use them. I looked to my right as Edgardo was also signing but Robin said,"Na,he just
    left".

As dcrules01 mentioned ,Ventura is a great at signings and he wasn't wrong. He added the following as I left:

Re: Robin Ventura Mini Interview

Quote Originally Posted by Swoboda4 View Post
    Went to the MAB autograph festival this afternoon in Queens NY
    http://www.mab-celebrity.com/c-593-s...t-27-2008.aspx
    The key to a big signing going smooth is NOT to have a card show with it. Most people had pieces to sign and with such a big line-up in a small place I was amazed. Anyway,brought the Mets away Ventura jersey and a bat for Robin to look at and sign "gamer" if appropriate. Went like this:
    How's the ankle Robin? Great.
    I have what I believe is a game used jersey of yours but the big question is have you on occasion ever shortened the jersey like this because it was too long.
    Ans. "Oh yea."
    Robin turns the hem over and glances at the label(with set and size tag) nods yes and signs:

I then show Robin the Rawlings bat and ask him about his habit of taping the bottom of the bat near the handle. He said yep,that's mine but be carefull because Edgardo Alfonzo would steal my bats and use them. I looked to my right as Edgardo was also signing but Robin said,"Na,he just
    left".

As dcrules01 mentioned ,Ventura is a great at signings and he wasn't wrong. He added the following as I left:

Did you give Robin an answer to his inscription "Why do you collect my stuff?" Thats really kewl.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

The signed photo came about as I was explaining that these are mine and I'm not a dealer. I also have to say that B+E Collectibles is where I obtained this jersey. I mentioned them when I was in doubt(about the jersey) so I would be very wrong not to publicly thank them when they were proven right. I also obtained the Burnitz from them which was also G/U. So they're a long established game used and hobby source and recently somebody asked about knicks G/U items-they sell them also and Knicks warm-ups on occassion.
    http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/b-e-co...Q_fromZQQ_mdoZ
    Robert

Hi Robert,

Great story and great inscription!

Reminds me of the Mantle inscription to Barry Halper on the Starting lineup Baseball greats figurine set. Mantle wrote "Barry Aren't you too old to be playing with dolls?"

The closest thing I have to yours is an Ed Hearn ball which he inscribed "David Now you even have one of my balls!"

Enjoy
    David

That is awesome glad it worked out..There is a Ventura bat on ebay now I was looking still waiting on additional photos..

dc-email me about that bat on ebay. The seller "sensmetsjets" is the same seller who has been trying to sell the Ordonez jersey that we questioned. If you insist though make sure the bat,well e-mail me but check out the thread we just had about the Ordonez.
    From the thread;"Yet another Met jersey w/problems"
    ....AND FURTHERMORE, there is no possible way that on the name ordonez the tilde would be missing over the n! absolutely no way, bc i remember what a total pain in the ass is is to sew that on

I sent ventura a game used bat for the show today which was purchased from leftfieldcollectibles.com I paid a little over a 100 not even realizing that there is a 50 on the knob im assuming for benny agbayani guess i really screwed my self with this one. now the bat is worth nothing....

I can't find your email addy ???

gameu-Not really those were still his bats and as he said today with a smile 'they"(team mates)would "steal" them. He never ordered the bats for them they would borrow one and end up keeping it.