Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigtruck260
    • Sep 2007

Heritage Auctions McGwire Bat

I am looking for a solid McGwire gamer - but something is bothering me about this one.

The tar looks off - like there is not really any on the knob end of the bat. From what I can tell, the barrel does not have the kind of use I am accustomed to seeing on a MAC bat. The handwritten name and number on the knob is also different than I have seen on most Mac bats from the era.

If anyone has an opinion, I'd sure be interested in it. Thanks in advance...
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

sigpic
  • whatupyos
    Banned
    • Dec 2005

Re: Heritage Auctions McGwire Bat

Dave,

I have the same thoughts as you do as well.

Aaron

Comment

• RKGIBSON
      • Mar 2006

Attached are photos of the knob of a bat that I own. I am not making a judgement on the bat as a whole, just a observation on the handwritting on the knob. Every bat that had some real provenace has the same handwritting as the photo I provide here. The knob end of the bat seems very clean compared to other game used bats I have seen.

Roger
      Attached Files

Comment

• Rboitano
        • Nov 2005

Here are a few examples I own. I have seen the 33 Mcgwire in two different handwritings. Im not a fan of the bat in the Heritage auction, just doesnt have the use that I would want on a Mac bat. The 2000 I have came directly from the Cardinals with the Cardinals Care COA.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Rboitano
          • Nov 2005

Here is the 2000 again.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Tay1038
            • Dec 2005

Hey Dave,

Here are photographs of my MAC 98' GU Bat. I would stay far away from this one offered by Heritage. First off it looks uncracked. In an article written by are very own Jeff Scott, McGwire would use a bat until it cracked. Many of McGwire's bats were either lifted from his locker or given away as gifts during the 1998 campaign. The bat also does not exhibit the usual MAC characteristics.

Taylor
            Attached Files
            Email: Tay1038@aol.com
            - Interested in Current & Vintage Minnesota Twins game-used memorabilia - Killebrew, Oliva, Carew, Puckett, Hrbek, Blyleven, Mauer, Morneau, Tom Kelly (Manager), Minneapolis Millers & St. Paul Saints

Comment

• skyking26
              • Dec 2005

If anybody has interest in selling one of their 98 or 01 Mac Cards bats, please keep me posted.

Robert Koppel
              skyking442@hotmail.com
              ROBERT KOPPEL
              Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
              and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Comment

• Birdbats
                • Nov 2005

The Heritage bat isn't even close. Looks like a rack bat that was (poorly) tarred up to look used. The photo below shows legit Mac Bats from 1998, 1999, 2000 (2) and 2001. Notice how consistent the pine tar pattern is.

Jeff Scott
                birdbats@charter.net
                http://www.birdbats.com

Comment

• bigtruck260
                  • Sep 2007

As I suspected.

Thanks for the input - glad I trust my gut on some things.

I guess the real question is - WHY??? Why do auction houses continue to offer this kind of product. There is no excuse for it whatsover.
                  Dave
                  Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
                  River City Redbird Authentics
                  http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

sigpic

Comment

• skipcarayislegend
                    • Apr 2008

Originally posted by bigtruck260
                    WHY??? Why do auction houses continue to offer this kind of product.
                    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Comment

• TNTtoys
                      • Aug 2006

I concur with all that's been said on this thread. I saw this one in HA a couple of wks back and my first thought was "why is there no pine tar on the handle?" The handwriting on the knob is completely different to the usual, and in my opinion, the batch (695) is extremely high; possibly one that was ordered for him very late in the season and never made it into his hands.
                      Looking for ...
                      Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
                      Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
                      Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Comment

• Birdbats
                        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by TNTtoys
                        The batch (695) is extremely high; possibly one that was ordered for him very late in the season and never made it into his hands.
                        The National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown has two 1998 McGwire bats in its collection. The bat used to hit homeruns 56-62 -- from September 1-8 -- was from batch number 769 98. And the bat used to hit homeruns 66-70 -- from September 25-27 -- was from batch number 909 98. So, the batch number is one of the few things about the bat that doesn't raise red flags.
                        Jeff Scott
                        birdbats@charter.net

Comment

• TNTtoys
                          • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Birdbats
                          The National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown has two 1998 McGwire bats in its collection. The bat used to hit homeruns 56-62 -- from September 1-8 -- was from batch number 769 98. And the bat used to hit homeruns 66-70 -- from September 25-27 -- was from batch number 909 98. So, the batch number is one of the few things about the bat that doesn't raise red flags.
                          Jeff,

Thanks for the information...that's useful info for McGwire bats in general. Since we're talking '99 on this thread and not '98 (where it is assumed many more bats were used, as it was a historical year), do you know any specs on the bat that he used to hit his 500th home run?

Nick
                          Looking for ...

Comment

• Birdbats
                            • Nov 2005

On August 5, 1999, McGwire hit his 500th homerun using a bat from batch number 382 99. So, if the Heritage bat was from 1999, I would share your suspicions of the high batch number. But, the Heritage bat is from 1998.

Mark McGwire Game Used Bat. The Rawlings Big Stick bat offered here was used by the most prolific hitter in the modern era during the 1998 campaign. The bat exhibits extensive game use, as well as pine tar residue extending from the knob to well past the trademark. Great ball marks all over the barrel. On the knob in in blue ink pen is "33 McGwire". Guide Value or Estimate: $500 - $1,000.

Jeff Scott
                            birdbats@charter.net

Comment

• TNTtoys
                              • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Birdbats
                              On August 5, 1999, McGwire hit his 500th homerun using a bat from batch number 382 99. So, if the Heritage bat was from 1999, I would share your suspicions of the high batch number. But, the Heritage bat is from 1998.

Mark McGwire Game Used Bat. The Rawlings Big Stick bat offered here was used by the most prolific hitter in the modern era during the 1998 campaign. The bat exhibits extensive game use, as well as pine tar residue extending from the knob to well past the trademark. Great ball marks all over the barrel. On the knob in in blue ink pen is "33 McGwire". Guide Value or Estimate: $500 - $1,000.

Jeff,

Yes, I was basing all of my assumptions on the bat being a 1999. Not sure where I got that from, but it's obviously not correct from the description you posted.

Interestingly, the valuation you posted as part of the description states the bat value at roughly half the value of a good McGwire gamer. That in itself should be a red flag.

Nick
                              Looking for ...

Comment

Working...