Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

The $100,000 Ripken Jersey

A $100,000 will get you Ripken's first road jersey. Ouch!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cal-Ripken-Jr-Fi...d=p3286.c0.m14
    Rob L
    loefflerrd@cox.net

Always On the Look Out for Troy Percival & Randy Johnson Gamers

Rob L's Baseball Memorabilia website: GU Troy Percival, GU Randy Johnson, GU Angels, GU Baseball, 19th Century Baseball and Autographs. Also a huge Game Used Resource page and Game Used Collectors Page: www.loefflerrd.webs.com

Re: The $100,000 Ripken Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by Rob L View Post
    A $100,000 will get you Ripken's first road jersey. Ouch!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cal-Ripken-Jr-Fi...d=p3286.c0.m14
    The attached letters are very cool. The Lord Baltimore Cleaners!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

http://www.lelands.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=57072

"..tail tagging from "Rawlings [size] 44" blooming a "Set 1 1981" flag tag above another reading "2 Inch Extra Length." A very, very observant eye will catch that the nameplate on back has been team-reinforced with white thread, giving the plate a slight ripple effect. This is particularly noteworthy as this same effect is visible on the 1982 Topps Traded card, leading us to believe that Cal is wearing this very jersey in that photo."

2 different 1981 ripken road jerseys, both claiming to be the one pictured on the 1982 topps card. (the ebay ad is wrong. there is no 1981 topps ripken card. ripken's first card came in 1982).

lelands' had 2" of extra length, the ebay one has 3".

rudy.

Has anyone noticed that the P in Ripken is a slightly larger font then the rest of the letters? Is it just me?

Quote Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
    Has anyone noticed that the P in Ripken is a slightly larger font then the rest of the letters? Is it just me?
    Not only that, but all the letters appear to be too tall and too thin, and take up too much of the nameplate.

Sometimes you guys are a little too accusatory or question things that should not be questioned. For goodness sake, the e-bay auction has a letter from the curator of the Ripken Museum who actually displayed this jersey. Leland's states it "leads them to believe" it is the 1982 Topps jersey, not that it IS the jersey. I'm not saying I would (could) pay $100,000 for the jersey, nor am I claiming it is Ripken's first jersey or the jersey on the 82 Topps, but definitely a very early jersey from Ripken. Could it be his first? Could it be the one pictured? None of us truly know the answer to that question.

I agree Buc, it seems that when an item is expensive, some of the members here try to discredit the item; maybe it makes them feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by cincy13 View Post
    I agree Buc, it seems that when an item is expensive, some of the members here try to discredit the item; maybe it makes them feel better.

Uuummm. Ok. It's refreshing to hear that some would plunk down $100,000 without fully researching and questioning an item's authenticity.
    Rob L
    loefflerrd@cox.net

Always On the Look Out for Troy Percival & Randy Johnson Gamers

Rob L's Baseball Memorabilia website: GU Troy Percival, GU Randy Johnson, GU Angels, GU Baseball, 19th Century Baseball and Autographs. Also a huge Game Used Resource page and Game Used Collectors Page: www.loefflerrd.webs.com

I'm not saying it is worth that (or anywhere even close to it,) but after reading the letters on the auction, it is apparent to me that the jersey is real. That was what I was talking about.

buc & cincy13:

are either of you the seller of the ebay jersey?

anyway, i never implied the ebay jersey wasn't good. i only meant to post that there are 2 jerseys out there that claim to be the one on the topps card. that's it. oddly, both of them have different customizations. as well, both of them are set 1 from an era when set numbers actually meant something.

"For goodness sake, the e-bay auction has a letter from the curator of the Ripken Museum who actually displayed this jersey."

i don't mean to sound condescending but whoop-dee-!#*-doo. the curator of the ripken museum. where did he acquire the jersey from? how long has he been collecting 80s oriole gamers? how about this provenance:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...ad.php?t=15007

a letter from joe namath and everything that turned out to be worthless. do you know how many world-class museums and preminent scholars are fooled by forgeries in art and antiquities?

""The Getty Kouros was offered, along with seven other pieces, to The J. Paul Getty Museum in Malibu, California in the spring of 1983. For the next twelve years art historians, conservators, and archeologists studied the Kouros, scientific tests were performed and showed that the surface could not have been created artificially. However, when several of the other pieces offered with the Kouros, were shown to be forgeries, its authenticity was again questioned. In May of 1992, the Kouros was displayed in Athens, Greece, at an international conference, called to determine its authenticity. The conference failed to solve the problem; while most art historians and archeologists denounced it, the scientists present believed the statue to be authentic. To this day, the Getty Kouros' authenticity remains a mystery and the statue is displayed with the date: "Greek, 530 B.C. or modern forgery".

the getty museum, which is one of the most highly esteemed museums in the world, spent 12 yrs trying to determine authenticity. teams of scientists, archeologists, and art historians couldn't determine whether it was good or not. maybe they should've called the curator of the ripken museum who, apparently, is an infallible genius.

"..after reading the letters on the auction, it is apparent to me that the jersey is real."

i'm sure many people thought the same about the namath helmet and countless other items with "rock solid" provenance that later turned out to be garbage. the mantle glove and carew glove with letters from the athletes themselves that only showed that their memories were a little hazy. if you honestly purchase items based solely on provenance then this is going to be a long, hard hobby for you.

rudy.