Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

Marcus Allen SB XVIII Helmet?

An ebay seller claims to be selling the helmet Marcus Allen wore as MVP of SB XVIII in the 1984 game.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Marcus-Allen-MVP...QQcmdZViewItem

Oddly, markings on the ebay helmet look very different from pics of the game. Further, Helmet Hut has what they claim to be that particular helmet pictured on their website.

http://www.helmethut.com/allen.html

Not only is Helmet Hut quite reputable but their lid is much more consistent with game pics I could find.

Comments?

Re: Marcus Allen SB XVIII Helmet?

both helmets, the ebay lid and helmet hut lid, have issues. or better put, neither helmet is allen's "retired" sb helmet given that markings and decals do not match. but it's very likely that allen continued to wear his sb lid the following season (or longer) which would explain this. in short, if allen did in fact shelf his sb helmet immediately after the game, never to wear it again, it is not one of these helmets.

what's great about the hh lid is that it accurately refelects the custom pac3 padding allen wore in his wd lid - i have game footage that clearly confirms this oddity. on the other hand hh's lid sports a red dot facemask and allen wore a green dot facemask. also, allen wore vinyly jaw pads during his first two seasons in the nfl, including the super bowl. he switched to leather jaw pads in the 1984 - the hh helmet sports leather jaw pads.

i've asked the ebay seller for a shot of the inside of the helmet - it will be interesting to see if it's also fitted with pac3 padding. one thing is for certain imo, allen didn't wear two lids in sb18.

robert

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mvandor View Post
    An ebay seller claims to be selling the helmet Marcus Allen wore as MVP of SB XVIII in the 1984 game.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Marcus-Allen-MVP...QQcmdZViewItem

Oddly, markings on the ebay helmet look very different from pics of the game. Further, Helmet Hut has what they claim to be that particular helmet pictured on their website.

http://www.helmethut.com/allen.html

Not only is Helmet Hut quite reputable but their lid is much more consistent with game pics I could find.

Comments?

Two people with the same helmet. This reminds me of the one game style Elway jersey auctioned off by what was it......four different auction houses? Those two seller should get together and figure this out. I'd like to hear if Marcus Allen says he has the helmet.

This Super Bowl helmet was offered to me years ago for $7500.00, which was big money then. It was supposedly sourced from the long time waterboy of the Raiders called, Ray-Ray, I believe. I tried back then to find pictures but could not. It sold in a auction, maybe Lelands. If it is real it would be a great piece.

Roger

How about the shipping and handling charges for the Allen helmet, $220 and change - wow. For that price it had better be delivered by armored car.

Banned

More info on this one. Seller has responded to my emails, is named Kenton Lee, and he's provided a legible copy of the LOA as below:

I note the logo seems tilted on the letterhead which caused some questions in my mind as to whether it's true letterhead or not, further it refers to a SI cover where Allen is playing against the Seahawks, clearly not from that SB, so how can you photo match from that?

The story seems to be that the lid left service immediately following the SB, but it lacks identifiable marks from pics I've looked at and I can't match the red/yellow impact marks on the right logo decal.

Just additional info.

Banned

Well, I just watched the America's Game video of the game carefully on an HDTV and am 100% certain the ebay lid does not match the lid worn in the SB by Allen. Very visible impact mark differences, further his SB lid used clear plastic clips not the old grey ones shown on the ebay lid.

I got the Superbowl helmet. I got it from some snot nosed kid named Riff-Raff. I had Marcus sign it and it has been authenticated.

Vandor, let me know where those hit marks belong. I will do some wacking tonight...

Aeneas, you wouldn't happen to know where I could get a kelly green paint pen. I don't need a lot of paint for my project...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Banned

May I ask which vendor put that lid together for you? They did a nice job.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mvandor View Post
    May I ask which vendor put that lid together for you? They did a nice job.
    BTW, the clips on yours ARE correct, his lid like yours and the Helmet Hut one used clear plastic clips on the front and the grey plastic on the sides. I misstated this in an earlier post.