Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: How to get the photos you want printed out as an 8x10 from Getty, AP, etc.....

How is it a copyright infringement if the Watermark hasnt been tampered with or altered?

It's not like he hacked into a Getty and the AP, stole images and is selling them for profit.

He is printing off cheap 4x6s of low quality, watermarked photos, taking pics of them and blowing them up for personal use. If anything he is probably losing money on the whole deal.

The only thing he is "selling" is a photo taken by himself.

And the photo he has displayed isn't from Getty, it's from the AP.
    I collect Jay Bruce and Cincinnati Reds Minor League stuff

My email address: hakes89@gmail.com

Re: How to get the photos you want printed out as an 8x10 from Getty, AP, etc.....

Quote Originally Posted by chakes89 View Post
    How is it a copyright infringement if the Watermark hasnt been tampered with or altered?

It's not like he hacked into a Getty and the AP, stole images and is selling them for profit.

He is printing off cheap 4x6s of low quality, watermarked photos, taking pics of them and blowing them up for personal use. If anything he is probably losing money on the whole deal.

All true.

I'm not tampering with the photos in any way. Even when you look at the display I made for my WBC jersey, you can see the "AP" logo over the front of it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mvandor View Post
    I think we're just trying to keep Kyle outa trouble, ie suspension from the board or worse, getting the Getty lawyers on his tail. They spider the web looking for copyright infringements.
    Guys, Getty Images is not worried about Kyle and the forum is not going to suspend him. No pins and needles here.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by chakes89 View Post

No disrespect but some real legal ignorance running through here. If Kyle BUYS the initial smaller pic and blows it up from there, questionable as to any copyright issues, although Getty typically charges more for higher res shots.

If he just pulls it down with the watermark and prints it and uses it? Pretty sure making use of a copyrighted item without making restitution to the holder is still copyright infringement. If he does it as an individual, who knows or cares, but if he puts it up on a public message board and offers to do it for others? Not wise.

Trust me, I know from personal experience that Getty has an entire legal department tasked with spidering the web looking for copyright violations. Better for Kyle they don't find this thread. If'n it was me, I'd ask the admins to delete it.

If you're printing out an image for your own personal use, you won't get into trouble.

If you're making pictures to sell to others, you would be braking the copyright law.

Technically, you can't post a Getty or Corbis photo on this site. This is why MEARS and auction houses list the photo number rather than posting the picture.

In general, you would get into trouble if you used the images for commercial/for-profit puroposes-- selling 8x10s on eBay, illustrating your magazine or for-profit website without paying for the rights, etc.

If you print out a copy for yourself or for the personal records of your friend (who owns the bat in the picture), that would be okay, assuming you aren't making any money from any transaction. It's like with movies-- you can make a copy of a DVD for your personal use, but can't make copies to sell on eBay or distribute at your street corner.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    In general, you would get into trouble if you used the images for commercial/for-profit puroposes-- selling 8x10s on eBay, illustrating your magazine or for-profit website without paying for the rights, etc.

If you print out a copy for yourself or for the personal records of your friend (who owns the bat in the picture), that would be okay, assuming you aren't making any money from any transaction. It's like with movies-- you can make a copy of a DVD for your personal use, but can't make copies to sell on eBay or distribute at your street corner.
    Disagree.

Copying an already owned DVD is creating a backup of something you already licensed. Copying a Blockbuster rental for personal use? Copyright infringement.

Quote Originally Posted by mvandor View Post
    Disagree.

Copying an already owned DVD is creating a backup of something you already licensed. Copying a Blockbuster rental for personal use? Copyright infringement.
    This is not completely accurate either. You are permitted "user copies." For example, I have a music CD, which falls under copyright. I don't want it scratched and ruined from use. I can make a user copy and this is NOT infringement. When you distribute copies from the master to other people so they can circumvent purchasing the item, then you have infringement because it damages the artist's ability to profit from their recordings. Kyle should be fine as long as he doesn't sell anything and does not tamper with the watermark.

Chris

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by staindsox View Post
    This is not completely accurate either. You are permitted "user copies." For example, I have a music CD, which falls under copyright. I don't want it scratched and ruined from use. I can make a user copy and this is NOT infringement. When you distribute copies from the master to other people so they can circumvent purchasing the item, then you have infringement because it damages the artist's ability to profit from their recordings. Kyle should be fine as long as he doesn't sell anything and does not tamper with the watermark.

Chris
    Your explanation IS consistent with mine on the DVD analogy. Where it breaks down is taking a copy of a photo you did NOT buy or license. Even for personal use, that's theft, copyright infringement. If e bought a small photo then blew it up for his own use, no issue, but if the initial watermarked pic was a comp downloaded from Getty? Infringement.

Anyone here remember Napster?

Not much selling going on there.
    SCOTT
    scottjrepking at gmail.com

Always looking for game used bats from Andre Dawson, Ryne Sandberg, Mark Grace, Jody Davis, Shawon Dunston, Jerome Walton, Rick Sutcliffe, and Greg Maddux. Preferably CUBS era bats.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]