Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Letter of Providence for GU items?

How important is a letter of providence to your collection? Have you accepted bats into your collection based on its own merit without any letter of providence. Are there certain GU items that you would not accept into your collection without a letter of providence.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Banned

Re: Letter of Providence for GU items?

Provenance.

I can accept a trusted source...

Birdbats, Ball Park Heroes, Left Field - JT...

LOA's are not all that important as long as I am comfortable with the use characteristics.
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The NFL items that I buy from sorces other than our athletic department are of players that have little signifigance to the NFL and therefore not only don't cost much, but wouldn't be faked because of this. Thats the beauty of my collection.
    Broncos middle linebacker.....Joe Mays!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Collecting - Tyrone Braxton (Broncos 87-93 Dolphins 94 Broncos 95-99), Phil Hansen (Bills 91-01), Steve Nelson (Patriots 74-87), Stacy Robinson (Giants 85-90), Kevin Donnalley (Patriots 1981), Lamar Gordon (Rams 02-03, Dolphins 04, Eagles 05, Lions 06), Jared Peck (Falcons 2004), Craig Dahl (Giants 2007-08, Rams 2009-10), Joe Mays (Eagles 2008-09, Broncos 2010), & Dick Hanson (Giants 1971) among others. :rolleyes:

I think a letter of provenance is very important if you're talking about a modern day superstar jersey. For example, how many legit Peyton Manning or Brett Favre jerseys are out there without a letter? Both players (and their organizations) seem to keep pretty good tabs on their equipment. So instead of paying $10K for a jersey with an ironclad letter of provenance, one may pay a "bargain price" of $5K for one without the letter -- and a good chance that Manning or Favre never saw the item you just bought.

Anyone who has been in this hobby for any length of time has bought crap. Thanks to the internet and this forum, it is much harder these days to get away with selling it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Banned

I should add that while a LOA may be seen by a savvy collector as irrelevant to HIS purchasing decision, it sure can generate aditional value for you on resale. Given the cost of some items, I invest in pursuing authentication sometimes solely for that reason. I want my heirs to be able to cash out my investments at top dollar.

I think it's well worth noting that there are many fraudulent Favre jerseys out there that come with a letter signed by him. There are also some game used Favre jerseys in private collections that are 100% legitimate and have no letter at all.

Guy

Quote Originally Posted by gwh11 View Post
    I think it's well worth noting that there are many fraudulent Favre jerseys out there that come with a letter signed by him. There are also some game used Favre jerseys in private collections that are 100% legitimate and have no letter at all.

Guy
    You're absolutely right, Guy. I guess my overall point is that I can see the writing on the wall ten years from now -- if anyone thinks the market is already flooded with crap (pro-cuts and "team issued"), just wait and see. The problem of modern superstar jerseys being misrepresented will get much worse.

By the way, an FBI investigation is a step in the right direction, but this kind of investigation brings down large "mills" that consistently churn out misrepresented memorabilia. They do not and cannot take care or every mom and pop seller that is selling a misrepresented item.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

in current times, very important simply because there are too many customizing establishments out there who can transform a blank or garbage player jersey into a holy grail of a famous one. All one needs is the same size jersey, rough it up a bit when they get it back and claim it off as game used by said player who never saw or touch that piece in their life.

I really only feel comfortable with a jersey if it comes from a source I am comfortable with or has been inspected by someone I trust. Bats I usually do my own homework on thru reliable sources and require no COA...