Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cracked & Repaired vs. Natural

I know many collectors have differences of opinions about wanting a cracked bat that has been repaired.

I have found many really nice game used bats, but once I know they have been repaired, I'm not interested.

I would prefer a bat that has been cracked during use, to remain that way.

Your thoughs?

Re: Cracked & Repaired vs. Natural

Hey Tony: See it both ways myself. I've been collecting game used bats since the late 80's. I have always shyed away from cracked bats as I want to be able to pull my bats from the rack and if I want to take a practice cut not be concerned about the bat. Just a personal thing with me. The only way I'd buy a cracked bat is if I needed that model or type and felt the chances were slim in finding it again, and the price were right. I feel a premium should be commanded for uncracked, that's just me.

Now, there have been times I've bought handle cracked bats, and being a carpenter I've glue and clamped it - and asthetically it looks better even though you can still see it is cracked.

Bob

I like them repaired -

BUT, only if the repair is done well. I will buy a cracked bat so that I can make a project out of it...I actually will shy away from a bat that is shattered.

For asthetics, repaired bats look better (to me) in a display, and they are easier to move when it's time to change things around. Not to mention, I have a boy in the house now who is curious. The wife is also not as careful as I am when touching my bats.
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I guess I just can't get past that the bat has been altered after use. I agree that repaired it looks better. But I just can't get past it being repaired after the fact.

My choices:

1) a well used uncracked bat
    2) a slightly cracked bat that remains steadily in one piece
    3) a destroyed bat that I can display with a photo match showing its demise

Quote Originally Posted by 3arod13 View Post
    I guess I just can't get past that the bat has been altered after use. I agree that repaired it looks better. But I just can't get past it being repaired after the fact.
    Even in an uncracked bat situation, once the bat has changed hands umteen times, who knows what has actually been done to the bat? I agree with Bigtruck.

I have talked to guys who buy GU jerseys and wear them around to games and such. Can you believe it? You just don't know...

Quote Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
    My choices:

1) a well used uncracked bat
    2) a slightly cracked bat that remains steadily in one piece
    3) a destroyed bat that I can display with a photo match showing its demise
    Jim - I like your order but would take a light use bat if it had all player characteristics!

I don't like repaired bats unless it was broken into 2 pieces and the break was clean enough that it can be put back together. I would also expect the seller to disclose that it was repaired. Nothing worse than being told a bat is uncracked to see a repaired seam hidden under pine tar.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Banned

I don't like repaired bats myself and agree with how Tony feels. I know others like repaired bats and I can appreciate their reasons as well, but my own personal preference is a bat, either uncracked or cracked that has not been altered. Just like jerseys, I prefer jerseys that have not been worn by anyone else other than the player themselves.

I prefer a cracked bat myself. Many players have stated that they used a bat until it cracked. Paul O'Neill is an example. I wouldnt buy one of his bats unless it is cracked. Sure there are excemptions, bats were stolen, but I just cant trust a bat that isn't cracked.

I know todays players will use a bat for a couple at bats, then sell them uncracked, but I don't collect bats from todays palyers. There is just too much out there to have a unique peice.

Quote Originally Posted by BULBUS View Post
    I know todays players will use a bat for a couple at bats, then sell them uncracked, but I don't collect bats from todays palyers. There is just too much out there to have a unique peice.
    I agree 100%