X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • princip
    • Dec 2006

Re: Show me your Game Used NFL Helmet

Originally posted by aeneas01
    you are spot on about the low positioning of the side decals - something the seahawks abandoned pretty quickly. speaking of largent - he must hold the nfl all-time record for most facemask styles used in a career! honestly, what was up with that? is there even a close second?

This is how I know it, Steve Largent Facemask Timeline:

1976-78 Dungard DG 210

1979-80 Riddell OPO 1

1981-82 XL OPO 1

1983-84(roughly) Royal Blue 80 XL OPO

1984-89 Royal Blue Riddell BD-9
    www.greenxoblue.com

Comment

• helmets
      • Mar 2008

what's the date code in the helmet?
      I should have known you'd be "date coding" me. I will look when I get back there tonight and post it. Here is a photo that I found on Getty...
      Attached Files
      Buying game used helmets of Packers - all eras as well as game used helmets of HOFers or future HOFers.

Comment

• aeneas01
        • May 2007

Originally posted by princip
        This is how I know it, Steve Largent Facemask Timeline:
        add this one to the list...

Originally posted by helmets
        I should have known you'd be "date coding" me. I will look when I get back there tonight and post it. Here is a photo that I found on Getty...
        gotta start with the date code....

robert

Comment

• princip
          • Dec 2006

add this one to the list...

Good call Robert! This is the one he used just before he switched to the BD-9. Notice the three fastener holes on the side.

www.greenxoblue.com

Comment

• helmets
            • Mar 2008

gotta start with the date code....

Buying game used helmets of Packers - all eras as well as game used helmets of HOFers or future HOFers.

Comment

• gridman80
              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by princip
              I have detailed pics of this game worn Don Testerman TAK 29 Seahawks helmet shown in this pic. at my website:

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/principm/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.jpg[/IMG]
              Hey buddy, glad you still have this piece I sold you...has a good home!!

Comment

• gridman80
                • Feb 2006

Originally posted by RKGIBSON
                Princip,

I would like to have the Shaun Alexander helmet if you ever want to part with it, sell or trade, please keep me in mind.

Attached are pictures of my Buffalo Bill's, Takeo Spikes from 2006 vs the Patriots. Also Micheal Vick's helmet worn every game in his last year, 2006.

Roger
                Roger, Can I buy the Vick and give it to my Staffordshire Bull Terrier as a chew toy? Even better if his head is inside...

Comment

• helmets
                  • Mar 2008

Roger:

I was interested in asking a question on the Vick helmet that you have. Obviously the value of his items have gone down a bit - but did you buy or obtain the helmet prior to his legal troubles, or after?

Comment

• princip
                    • Dec 2006

Originally posted by gridman80
                    Hey buddy, glad you still have this piece I sold you...has a good home!!
                    I wish you had sold it to me. I was the guy who asked if you had any pics long after the auction ended. Of course, you obliged and for that I was very thankful.
                    www.greenxoblue.com

Comment

• RKGIBSON
                      • Mar 2006

Roger:

I was interested in asking a question on the Vick helmet that you have. Obviously the value of his items have gone down a bit - but did you buy or obtain the helmet prior to his legal troubles, or after?
                      I bought it after he got in trouble but before his trial. This helmet was requested during the season by the HOF as he set a couple of quarterback records that season. He rushed for 1039 yards with 8.45 yards per carry. I have a letter from Vick about the helmet. Every piece on it is original, including the chin strap.

I was never a fan of his, and am not now. I do think the helmet is a unique piece in my collection, regardless of the value to others now.

Roger

Comment

• RKGIBSON
                        • Mar 2006

Attached are pictures of a bar code label that is in the dome of a LA Ram helmet that I have. I don't think these have ever been discussed. Also is the date stamp and a outside view. Does the numbers on the bar code label reveal anything as far as date of manufacture?

Roger
                        Attached Files

Comment

• aeneas01
                          • May 2007

wow, manufactured on my birthday, 02/08. given that it was molded in 1988, it would have certainly been available for the 1990 super bowl. but given that smith's first year in the league was 1985, this would mean that he moved to a new helmet relatively quickly, after only 3 years (i.e., he couldn't have worn this helmet before the 1988 season). or it could be that the helmet sat around for a year or two and he wasn't issued it until the 1990 season (even though it was manufactured in 1988). when i get a chance i'll see if i can dig up any quality photos of smith during those years...

Originally posted by rkgibson
                          Attached are pictures of a bar code label that is in the dome of a LA Ram helmet that I have. I don't think these have ever been discussed. Also is the date stamp and a outside view. Does the numbers on the bar code label reveal anything as far as date of manufacture?
                          in 1987 schutt introduced the serial number decal you've pictured - at this time they also started to include the date the helmet was assembled (drilled for holes, etc.), i.e. helmets now included two pieces of date info: the date it was manufactured (molded) and the date it was prepared to leave the factory (assembled). the assembly date could be up to 6 months later than the manufacturing (molding) date.

when the serial number decals were first introduced, the assembly date was heat stamped on the exterior back of the helmet, usually below the logo. later on the assembly date was moved from the back on the lid to the serial number decal where it was ink-stamped using a letter date code (as used with schutt facemasks) or a numerical date code.

the long number following the "sn" does have significance but it does not pertain to a date - it represents the helmet's assembly turn. for example, sn4189626 means that the helmet was the 4,189,626th helmet to have been assembled as of the date schutt took ownership. the above sn was taken from a 1999 schutt helmet i own - your 1988 helmet was the 328,848th helmet assembled. that means that 3,860,778 helmets were assembled in the 11 years that separate our two helmets for an average of about 351,000 helmets per year.

fwiw, within the last couple of years the sn number has changed to reflect the production lot as opposed to the assembly turn. the production lot number is a code for such things as model number, color, size, date info, etc.

robert

Comment

• NYRangers
                            • Jul 2006

I can read Roger and Robert's posts all day. They are an enormous asset to this hobby. Thanks Gents!

Comment

• helmets
                              • Mar 2008

wow, manufactured on my birthday, 02/08. given that it was molded in 1988, it would have certainly been available for the 1990 super bowl. but given that smith's first year in the league was 1985, this would mean that he moved to a new helmet relatively quickly, after only 3 years (i.e., he couldn't have worn this helmet before the 1988 season). or it could be that the helmet sat around for a year or two and he wasn't issued it until the 1990 season (even though it was manufactured in 1988). when i get a chance i'll see if i can dig up any quality photos of smith during those years......
                              Thanks Robert;
                              Looking forward to seeing them. The shot that I posted from Getty - from the SB showing the inside of the helmet matches very nicely for the interior. I contacted Getty, and they want $150 for the photo - not sure I am ready to pull the trigger on that one. The paint loss on the rear sizer teeth matches the photo as do the worn jawpads and chinstrap. There is even a stain (spot) on the right side of the front sizer in the photo that is also on the helmet.

Thanks for the effort.

Comment

• princip
                                • Dec 2006

"........or it could be that the helmet sat around for a year or two and he wasn't issued it until the 1990 season (even though it was manufactured in 1988)."

I have found this to be quite common practice.
                                www.greenxoblue.com

Comment

Working...