Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cracked game used bat repair

I see so many cracked game used bats for sale. I am just wondering why people do not repair them. Most are an easy cosmetic fix with wood glue. Are bats that have been repaired considered less valuable? Can any one offer some insight into why people do not repair them (cosmetically speaking ofcourse.)

Re: Cracked game used bat repair

I would personally rather have a bat that was broken in half glued back together, but if it is not in half, I think it is better to leave the crack, it just shows more use. My mind set is that if a bat is cracked or split the player obviously liked it enough to use it, until it was damaged, making it more valuable to me then one with use but no damage.

I prefer cracked, whether repaired or not. Good repair jobs are great, too. I used to collect uncracked but they usually don't show very much use which always made me wonder why. Now, I look for alot of use and a crack doesn't bother me a bit. If it's about to fall apart or lose pieces, then I'll do something so that they won't.

Banned

I am not a fan of Badly cracked bats, I prefer heavily used or a slight crack not nothing more. As far as bats with cracks that been repaired I dont like them at all!!!

My thing is why would you repair the Heavy usage on a (meaning a cracked bat ) when the player cracked it to begin with. I would think you would want it that way to show its actual condition of what the player did to it. Your taking it out of its original condition from when the player had it.

The player didnt glue it back why would you?

I thought I stated why, but I'll do it again. If it looks like it might lose pieces or break in half, I'll do something about it.

Banned

Yankwood when i said why that was a rhetorical question.

I can understnad if its falling apart and for your own collection to keep it together you want to do some minor repairs. I ma just saying in general to any cracked bats why would you fix a crack that the player put there.

Here is an example - If you have a home run ball a player hit and it has the scuff mark on it from the bat making contact would you try to clean it and wash it off with bleach to make it white again NOOOO.

Thats my point!!!

Repairing a cracked or broken bat is an issue of debate much like the autograph on a jersey one. Regardless of how tastefully done or well-executed, it still is removing a particular item from its last existing game-used condition.

The reason more people don't repair them is because it may negatively affect the bat's marketability. If 50 people will repair a bat that's been cracked after they purchase it, they'll be willing to buy it cracked or broken. But if you repair it yourself, there are another 50 people who won't touch it due to it being removed from its original last condition.

When I started collecting gamer bats 25 years ago I would only buy UNCRACKED bats. Just knowing that the bat was cracked, or defective, bothered me. As the pile of bats grew and certain models were scarce for me, if a cracked bat came along I bought it figuring I may never get another chance. In some cases I was right. I am a carpenter by trade. I wince when I see some idiots who have had the audacity to actually drive a tac into the handle to hold a crack together. That is unforgivable. From time to time I will pick a bat out of my rack and take a practice cut with it in my basement. I do not want it sailing in half across the room. Any bat I have that is cracked gets some elmer's clear glue in the crack and is clamped for astetic purposes. In my mind the crack is "still there," and when you buy a cracked bat I believe it should sell for less that uncracked anyway. Personal preference is going to dictate here every time -

I have had a couple of expensive game used bats repaired by a man named Fred Lowman. I is my opinion that he does museum quality work and his fees are reasonable. He can be contacted at: fredlowman@snet.net I have seen some attempts by people who had no idea what they were doing and these usually make the bat look worse. I feel if you want an expensive bat repaired it is best left to professionals. Just my opinion though.

Thanks, Dave. shashi4g@aol.com

Banned

In my opinion if you have an expensive bat DONT TOUCH IT!!!
    You can only make the value go down.!!!