Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Grey Flannel - 1993 Bo Jackson jersey - White Sox experts help

http://www.greyflannelauctions.com/L...px?lotid=19143

so i've got a handful of 1993 white sox russell gamers in my library and every single one, whether it be home, road, or alt, has a strip tag like this:

GFC's jackson gamer has a strip tag that i've never seen on '93 white sox shirts. i know there are a few white sox experts on here. can anyone comment on whether they've ever seen that sort of strip tag on a '93 white sox shirt? jackson missed the entire 1992 season due to injury and only played in 83 games in 1993. i'm not sure when exactly in the '93 season jackson was with the team. perhaps the white sox didn't know if jackson would even be playing in 1993 and this is a spare? is this what spare tagging would look like on a '93 white sox shirt?

here's another odd '93 white sox tag i've never seen before..it's got the players full last name:

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/A...ction_ID=35613

any insight would be appreciated.

rudy.

Re: Grey Flannel - 1993 Bo Jackson jersey - White Sox experts help

Rudy,
    I wish I had more insight to 93 jerseys, but I don't. That Intera tagged Jackson jersey has kicked around the hobby a few times in the past. I like it just for the rare Intera tag, but I've never seen another Sox jersey with the Intera tag or that combination of year and set number. I don't think it was an extra jersey since Bo was with the team at the start and finish of the 93 season and played sporadically due to his fragile hip. I'm guessing the different strip tag may have something to do with the Intera tag, but that's just a guess.

The only picture I have of a home Russell 93 Sox tag is the one you have listed from the AM auction. I would actually like to see another example for my photo library. I'm guessing Wilson was the more popular choice that season since I've seen a bunch of those.
    Mike

Looking for any White Sox jersey from Richie Zisk.

My website - http://www.freewebs.com/karamaxjoe/

"There are only two seasons - winter and Baseball"
    ~ Bill Veeck

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

mike,

here are a few 93 white sox gamers:

as i said, that's the only sort of strip tag i've ever seen on 93 white sox shirts.

if bo was with the sox in spring training, then his order would've been placed with the rest of the team and his strip tag would've looked like the others. i have a tough time believing that russell produced 3 different strip tags for the white sox in 1993. i can see them having a spare vs. non-spare style as many teams do but 3 different styles? odd.

i don't think the strip tag has anything to do with the intera tag. there are many 1993 russell gamers without the intera tag. i think russell just popped in the intera tag wherever, whenever in 1993. awhile ago dave miedema posted about the intera tag on the mears forum. incorrectly, dave stated the intera tag was sewn only onto player/team-issued jerseys. not true. i purchased a texas rangers retail shirt in 1993 and it has the intera tag. the funny thing is that on gamers with the intera tag, they'll also have the 100% poly tag. on my retail shirt, i have the intera tag and a tag saying 100% nylon. so according to russell, intera can be either 100% nylon or 100% polyester. the mystery of intera remains.

rudy.

http://sports.mearsonlineauctions.co...rchvalue=white sox&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=100&ca tegory=1&seo=1993-Finest-Known-Bo-Jackson-%22The-Comeback%22-Chicago-White-Sox-Game-Worn-Jersey---MEARS-A10-(EX-Hard-

I was wondering if this was the same '93 Bo Jackson jersey in the current Mears Auction that originally started this thread in '08? I've tried to click the link posted but can not open the page up. Maybe its to far back to access from GFC web catalog?

I agree with the sz 48 for Bo, but what about the "T" fit? Did he no longer have a "T" fit in '93?

Is the tagging legit for a '93 White Sox Gamer? Thoughts would be nice.
    Thanks!

Joe

Banned

Question Re: Grey Flannel - 1993 Bo Jackson jersey - White Sox experts help

What I'm sugesting here is pure speculation, and nothing more, but...is it possible that the name-tagged jerseys with no set numbers might have been a set for the ALCS? We have two such exemplars now in this thread (McDowell and Bo), and the White Sox were in the 1993 ALCS, being defeated by Toronto. Again, I'm not making a declaration...just something to kick around.

Dave Miedema

Quote Originally Posted by 35th&Shields View Post

I was wondering if this was the same '93 Bo Jackson jersey in the current Mears Auction that originally started this thread in '08?
    It was two different Bo jerseys. The GF jersey had an Intera tag and the Mears doesn't.

Dave - I like your theory, but we probably would have seen a few commons during the past 19 years. Maybe these were extra jerseys?
    Mike

Looking for any White Sox jersey from Richie Zisk.

My website - http://www.freewebs.com/karamaxjoe/

"There are only two seasons - winter and Baseball"
    ~ Bill Veeck

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I like the Idea of these possibly being playoff jerseys. They very well could be? I know in 2000 they did tag White sox playoff jerseys similar to the McDowell above in '93 with name in the strip tag having the name in it.

I havn't been able to come up with any pics of Bo from the '93 playoffs. Here is a pic from Game 1 Oct 5th 1993. Jack Mcdowell started Game 1. game 2 was on Oct 6th which shows them in Alt black unis. which leaves game 6 the only other game for the Sox to wear a Home pinstripe uni. I'm not 100% clear on the photo match but it seems that the jersey listed in AMI is not the jersey shown in the pic provided by Getty images oct 5th '93. i'm looking at the pinstripe on top of the "S" in the Sox logo. One stripe seems to be just on the outside of the "S" and the other running through the "S"

I have a few pics of Bo from the '93 regular season. They seem to be 2 different jrseys, none of which match the one listed in Mears auction. i will post those up shortly.

Thoughts??

I did email MEARS asking about a set tag this morning..still waiting to hear back...I have a 93 Black obtained from SOX with a letter and that one has proper tagging with set number

Here is a couple of pics from the home opener in '93. I was hoping to match the Mears jersey to these but found at the least the Comiskey patch on the left sleeve doesnt line up and the number 8 on front of the jersey has a solid pinstripe running through it.

The other regular season '93 Bo jersey I found is on youtube from the AL West game clincher. If you pause the video at the 3:54 mark you can see there is no pinstripe running in between the "x" in the Sox logo. This would also make this jersey differ from the Mears one as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7ZqEFohDHo